Best torque converter automatics - polopinkgin

Hi there,

I am looking for recommendations on used cars that still have a traditional torque converter auto gearbox and are reliable? Budget max £10k and small hatchback or similar

Didn't like the semi automatic on previous car, hence the search for torque converter gearbox

many thanks for your help!

Best torque converter automatics - badbusdriver

What was your previous car (I just want to be sure what you mean by a semi automatic)?, and what didn't you like about it?.

Also, what about CVT?. Two of the most reliable small auto's, Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz, use these.

Last, how small a car are you after?

Best torque converter automatics - polopinkgin

What was your previous car (I just want to be sure what you mean by a semi automatic)?, and what didn't you like about it?.

Also, what about CVT?. Two of the most reliable small auto's, Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz, use these.

Last, how small a car are you after?

Hi there,

Had Renault Clio quick shift and didn't like the way that the gears meshed at times and how if you came to a stop at a roundabout and then wanted to get out quickly it would sort of plateau before going anywhere

Not sure about CVT, heard mixed reviews on that as well.

I mean not tiny, supermini so along lines of clio, Corsa etc

Best torque converter automatics - bathtub tom

Whilst the Yaris hybrid uses a Continuously Variable Transmission, it's not the belt and pulley system, it's an epycyclic gearbox that's proved itself for years in the Prius.

Best torque converter automatics - madf

Whilst the Yaris hybrid uses a Continuously Variable Transmission, it's not the belt and pulley system, it's an epycyclic gearbox that's proved itself for years in the Prius.

The 2012-19 Honda Jazz used a torque convertor mated to a CVT transmission. VERY smooth. And reliable.

Changes imperceptible on my 2012 Jazz.

Best torque converter automatics - SLO76
Petrol Mazda 2 and Mazda 3. Both excellent torque converter automatic hatchback options.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/12/2023 at 19:02

Best torque converter automatics - blindspot

i would suggest toyota asian Warner

Best torque converter automatics - JonestHon

Lexus IS250 auto, 6 gears Aisin auto TC, smooth v6 that does 30-40 mpg and reliable as a Yaris.

Honda Civic petrols from 2012 to I think 2019.

My choice at your budget will be a Fiesta auto from 2018.

These have standard Aisin TC six speed and always with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine that had reliability issues in early production.

Best torque converter automatics - badbusdriver

Not sure about CVT, heard mixed reviews on that as well.

Re the CVT, you don't really want to be paying too much attention to the motoring press. If anything, look up owners reviews. Between our current car and the three previous, we've had T/C, CVT, AGS (single clutch automated manual), and DCT (dual clutch automated manual) automatics. Out of those, the stepped* CVT in the Honda Jazz has been the best. If looking at the whole package, it wasn't perfect because the engine had too little torque leading to much revs if pressing on. But the CVT was better matched to the engine and more reactive than any of the others.

*Being stepped means it is programmed to behave like it has actual gears, manual control of which can be done through paddles behind the steering wheel should you choose (I rarely bothered unless wintery roads).

If you want maximum interior space for a small footprint, I'd be looking at a Jazz or Kia Venga/Hyundai ix20 (same car barring minor styling, trim and badges). BTW, The Venga and ix20 use a T/C auto and ideally you want a facelifted 2015 onwards car where it gained a 6 speed auto to replace the old 4 speed unit.

For ultimate reliability (as mentioned earlier along with the Jazz), the Toyota Yaris is best. Hybrids will certainly be in budget but will be a little older. They work best in town, particularly with a more relaxed driving style to maximise efficiency. But if you want a bit more pep, the non hybrid 1.5 would be a great choice. Also with excellent reliability, the Mazda 2 as mentioned by SLO. Not the most spacious, but a really nice little car that drives really well.

The Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet (T/C) would be also be a great option. Like the Mazda, not the most spacious, but doesn't weigh much and has a turbo, so nippy and fun as well as reliable. The Swift also has an unfairly overlooked bigger brother, the Baleno. Mechanically identical, but more interior and boot space while still being a small car.

The Kia Rio and Hyundai i20 are the same under the skin, neither are particularly brilliant at any one thing, but not bad at anything either. Solid and reliable choice, and the higher spec versions can be very well equipped indeed with things like heated steering wheel. At this budget, they will have a 1.4 petrol with T/C auto (later versions use DCT).

The Fiesta mentioned above?. Well the comment about issues early in production implies only early versions, which isn't the case. The 2018 on car shouldn't have any problems, but with so many more reliable options, I'm not sure I'd consider the risk worth taking. Also worth pointing out that the cost of a timing belt replacement is very hefty indeed (because it was designed that the belt would last the life of the engine, then they discovered it didn't. Which is why it is such a big job). Having said that, I've just looked at Autotrader, and unless big miles and/or insurance write off, £10k won't get you into the 2018 on Fiesta anyway. Which would leave you with the dreaded Powershift DCT as well as the Ecoboost engine, no thanks!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/12/2023 at 09:31

Best torque converter automatics - John F

The best probably come from either ZF, eg. their ubiquitous HP6 for larger high performance cars, or from the largest autobox makers on the planet, Aisin, especially their AWTF series. Search on their applications to find a car that suits you. Their six speed boxes have been around for yonks, newer cars have 8 speeds; goodness knows why - our little Peugeot's 'EAT6' doesn't often get into 5th around town let alone 6th, which only engages at a relaxed 57mph and around 2,600 rpm. With a light right foot, the engine revs will never exceed 3,000rpm as 6th is 30mph per 1000rpm. Can't understand why anyone would possibly want a manual box these days.

Best torque converter automatics - RT

The best probably come from either ZF, eg. their ubiquitous HP6 for larger high performance cars, or from the largest autobox makers on the planet, Aisin, especially their AWTF series. Search on their applications to find a car that suits you. Their six speed boxes have been around for yonks, newer cars have 8 speeds; goodness knows why - our little Peugeot's 'EAT6' doesn't often get into 5th around town let alone 6th, which only engages at a relaxed 57mph and around 2,600 rpm. With a light right foot, the engine revs will never exceed 3,000rpm as 6th is 30mph per 1000rpm. Can't understand why anyone would possibly want a manual box these days.

8-speeds are more economical than 6-speeds - the torque converter can remain locked during gear changes while the TCU cuts the torque for a few milli-seconds to give a smooth change