Early MOT - FoxyJukebox
I have a major service approaching which I’d like to get done within a month, 3 months before the anniversary of MOT.
Am thinking of having the MOT done at the same time , which saves visits to the garage and takes advantage of a “Service with MOT” deal.
I keep reading that you can only have an MOT done a month early. That’s indeed true if you are keen to preserve the existing anniversary date-but I’m not.
Another option is to wait a further 3 months - couple of thousand miles down the line at max-then get service and MOT done together in late Feb.
What’s best?
Early MOT - elekie&a/c doctor
Up to you . Can you not postpone the service until nearer the mot test .? Couple of thousand miles is unlikely to make any difference..

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 20/11/2023 at 09:27

Early MOT - Andrew-T

You can have MoTs done as often as you wish, but each one only lasts 12 months - plus as you say, a 'month's grace' to allow the previous test's anniversary to be carried forward, as it would be impossible for garages to cope with every car on a particular day.

A rather paranoid colleague of mine used to have his Renault 5 tested every 6 months, just to be on the safe side. And I had my 1991 Pug 205 tested last August instead of November, to get it back on its lifelong anniversary schedule.

If there is no possible (warranty) penalty in delaying the service, do that. But the notional monthly cost of a MoT (about £4) makes a very trivial difference.

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/11/2023 at 09:33

Early MOT - RT

The 13-month MoT can only be done within the 30 days preceeding the present Mot expiry - but there are no restrictions on it being done any other time although the resulting MoT will only last 12 months.

Early MOT - FoxyJukebox
Very helpful replies-thanks. I think I’ll have the service and the MOT done in Feb.
That is if I’m not persuaded to trade in the car without the service or the MOT by 28/2-but that’s another story!
Watch this space