Jap imports - Charlie Charlie

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right sub forum for this so apologies if it is not.

I buy and sell cars and have done for years but have found some good deals for cars in Japan I want to import, mostly these will be German brands, BMW/Audi/MB/VW I have done some homework and asked around and I am fairly confident with the procedure/registration and tax side of things.

The only concerns/questions remaining is regarding the cars themselves, does anyone know if theres any reason why it would be a bad idea to import these, I know years ago it was hard to insure due to the different build quality, but from my research the German cars beside the instrument measurements which can easily be changed, the cars are virtually the same but tend to be in way better condition, most of the cars I deal with are up to 4 years old so nothing old.

The other question I had was to do with paperwork, I can't do VIN/registration checks to see their full history, so I am concerned that if one has been in a crash however minor or severe will this appear on my log book as a CAT S/N?

Also once the IVA test has been completed does this note onto the new UK logbook that the car is now an import?

Do these cars loose much value as they are imported?

Jap imports - Xileno

Thread will get better visibility in this forum.

Mod

Jap imports - daveyK_UK
I have meet a few people who have imported from Japan, most found the process fairly straightforward let worth remembering when you collect it from UK dock side you will need a trailer as it will require a MOT before use in the UK.

Jap imports - Charlie Charlie

The collection/process to get it here appears quite straight forward, my questions are more directed towards vehicle standards really so I know if they are the same as the UK versions once I go to resell, I saw something saying a lot of Jap cars do not have rear fogs but any modern car will have these as standard surely?

Jap imports - bazza

I think that most people who would buy a vehicle from a Japanese importer are looking for something that is not available in this country, but are sold in Japan as rhd. Either that or they are looking to import a classic that's been exported eg original mini cooper s or similar. Also potential customers of expensive German marques, would probably be looking for main dealer full service history examples with a warranty. I'm not sure you could compete well in that market without any of those things?

Jap imports - gordonbennet

Agree with Bazza, its the unusual JDM models that are popular imports, plus classic european rarities in specifications that may not have been sold here at all or those that have would have rotted away given our fetish for road salt, plus ladder chassised JDM 4x4's are sought after because they've never seen road salt in Japan, ie Toyota Prado/Surf.

Imports tend to be 10 years old or more, there are issues regarding the necessary testing of vehicles imported here, newer cars requiring the equivalent almost of type approval = costly.

Had i not bought the present Landcruiser a grey import Prado was planned, had to be of a certain age though re that testing routine, newer cars and costs became ridiculous.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/10/2023 at 20:55

Jap imports - Adampr

My local "2 blokes in a cabin" dealer sells a lot of imported BMWs, seemingly successfully. They told me that they can get the higher performance models (M3s etc) at a much better price than in the UK and they sell very nicely. The market for these tends to be younger men who want to show off, and are perhaps less concerned about service history and more about cost.

I've owned three Japanese imports over the years and had no problems. The main issue tends to be that they're not undersealed, so you need to take care of that. They used to export a lot of ropey diesels, which always seemed to have the wrong coolant in, but that seems less common.

The key seems to be having an agent at the other end who can take a look at stock and let you know how good it is. Don't rely on the Japanese reputation for fastidiousness.