Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - RobH67
Hi all, first post here, so thanks in advance for any help. I have a dilemma - I live abroad but come back to the UK for on average 10-12 weeks a year. Needless to say, hiring a car is ridiculously expensive so decided to buy a cheapish estate (to allow for suitcases, holidays etc). So my question is what car should I be looking at - budget probably £5-7K but can be flexible, and thinking petrol would suit better. When we’re not there, we have a place to park it and I can get someone to give it a run every so often to keep things ticking over. Any advice much appreciated, cheers.
Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - bazza

I woud consider a Dacia Logan for that purpose. Your budget will buy a nice reasonable mileage one and it would be ideal as long as you're not a badge snob. They are literally everywhere on the continent, so they obviously are ok! I have even thought of one myself as a substitute van, they really are tremendous value.

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - Xileno

I have some experience of leaving cars for lengthy periods, although quite a long time ago the points are still relevant. Sticking handbrakes, damp interiors and rodents come to mind. You mention you have somewhere to park the car. Is this undercover? If so then possibly keep one window open slightly to allow air to circulate but not so much as to let a rodent in. Any chance of connecting up a dehumidifier occasionally by the person where it will be stored?

Check underneath the bonnet for rodents making their home. I would choose a car with a manual handbrake, that way as long as the car is parked more or less on the level then leave it off and in gear.

If the person can take it out maybe every three weeks or so then this minimises the potential problems. A decent run getting everything nice and hot especially in winter. I initially thought a Jogger but they will be too new, a Logan is a good option as they're simple things so not much to go wrong.

Edited by Xileno on 30/09/2023 at 09:19

Wouldn’t say I’m a badge snob (see my other reply asking about Skodas!) but the Dacia driving experience seems pretty poor judging by reviews so I am put off somewhat.
Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - SLO76
Wouldn’t say I’m a badge snob (see my other reply asking about Skodas!) but the Dacia driving experience seems pretty poor judging by reviews so I am put off somewhat.

If driver appeal is high on the agenda then the Ford Focus 1.6 petrol estate is the top of the list. Plenty about, great to drive and robust mechanically.
Wouldn’t say I’m a badge snob (see my other reply asking about Skodas!) but the Dacia driving experience seems pretty poor judging by reviews so I am put off somewhat. (Sorry, posted this in wrong answer originally)
Two small estates come to mind here, the Toyota Auris 1.33/1.2T/1.6 petrol and the Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. Both are robust and simple, with decent space. Avoid the Powershift auto and the 1.0 Ecoboost in the Ford no matter what you’re told by sales staff, both are miserably unreliable while the 1.6 petrol is a well regarded Yamaha design with no vices. A tidy Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol estate might be worthy too but watch for VVT pulley failures (rattle from the engine on start up) and rust.
Thanks - any thoughts on Skoda Octavia Estate? Or even Fabia Estate?

At this money I’d leave alone. The diesels suffer EGR and DPF issues and need a costly timing belt change every 5yrs which will almost certainly be overdue on any you look at. The early petrol TSi motors suffered timing chain failures and VAG reverted back to belt drive in later cars, at your money it’s likely to be a chain driven version which is best avoided. The DSG autos are unreliable also and again best avoided. The Octavia is actually a very good car if you can find a good belt driven 1.4 TSi petrol with a manual gearbox. But you’ll struggle to get a good one at this money.
Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - JonestHon

My simple answer will be: Don't do it.

To rent a Ford Focus Estate or similar class C estate will be around £2k for 10 weeks all included + fuel. For 2k you can also hire something like a new Nissan Leaf if lectric is your thing.

A hatchback Focus/Astra is around £1200 for ten weeks plus fuel.

Leaving a car standing for 10 months of the year is asking for trouble (from experience and see above comment from other members).

You can SORN it if leaving it off the road but once you visit you will of course need to gear her up with all the paper work MOT/insurance and all the other ancillaries involving car ownership.

Edited by JonestHon on 30/09/2023 at 21:32

Thanks for that. Not sure where you’re getting these figures from, I’d be interested to know as I’m getting much higher quotes from rental companies at Heathrow/Manchester Airports!
Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - Moodyman
An alternative is to buy a banger £500-£1000 mark with enough MOT to last your stay and sell it for sc*** when you leave. Sc***yards pay £250-£300 on average.

Of course you’d need to do some legwork before getting here or have a friend who will, but I know of several people who do this.

Despite recent increases in car prices, the UK remains a very cheap place for bargain basement motoring.

Edited by Moodyman on 01/10/2023 at 00:38

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - JonestHon
Thanks for that. Not sure where you’re getting these figures from, I’d be interested to know as I’m getting much higher quotes from rental companies at Heathrow/Manchester Airports!

The prices are advertised in Trip.com for 10 weeks from Gatwick and return to the same place.

Edited by JonestHon on 01/10/2023 at 06:57

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - badbusdriver

I can't imagine you needing more space than an Octavia hatchback offers and even if you did, the extra volume offered by the estate is all above the window line.

Re the Fabia estate, while it does have a big boot, it is a supermini at heart. So whether or not it would be suitable for your needs would depend on the size of the rear seat occupants. Might be worth considering a Skoda Rapid or its sister car, the Seat Toledo. These have a huge 550 litre boot capacity (Fabia estate is 530), but also have a wheelbase around 13cm longer than the Fabia, all of which benefits rear legroom which is very generous. They do have a narrow cabin though, so 3 on the rear seats would be a bit cramped unless they are small!. The Seat only came with the one body style in the UK, but the Skoda also came with a kind of "semi-estate" body called the Rapid Spaceback. But don't be fooled, while the boot is still of a fairly generous size, it is over 100 litres short of the Rapid.

Your budget might get you into a 1.0TSI, but you'd probably be looking at the earlier 1.2TSI available in either 85 or 105/110bhp versions.

Thanks - certainly gives me plenty to think about.
Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - catsdad

You may have already covered it but, if you do buy a car, insurance for a non resident will be expensive. Also someone giving it a run in your absence, if it’s on public roads, requires you have current insurance on the car even if they are covered for driving other cars on their own policy. Neither of these are showstoppers but will add to the costs.

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - Warning

If you kept the money in the bank, it would earn you interest.

You might struggle getting car insurance without a UK address or on the electoral roll.

If you kept your car on the road, you might find the council decide to cut trees and your cars gets towed away....

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - HGV ~ P Valentine

There are loads of places you can get temp cover from 1 hr to 28 days, your own insurance company will prob do temp cover as well.

if you want to consider this, you can park it off road ( garage qualifies ) then you can declare it off road, but, if you do this you will have to tax it every time you come back, but you will get a refund on any mths tax unused, and you will not have to get it taxed while it is parked. You will have to make sure the person taking care of your car knows it is not allowed on a public road, or a private place where the public would ordinarily have access.

But if it is totally private ( note public bit above ) they can drive it around the farm/space. I have never stored a car before, but used temp insurance when driving cars back home after buying them. My cover allows me to drive any car 3rd party.

That is an idea, maybe ? If you know someone who has 3rd party cover and trust them enough to drive your car then perhaps they can look after it ? But, they will have to keep it off road when not driving it. Then, you only need get temp insurance for the time you use it. I have always found it handy to keep a copy of the cover in the windscreen when parked, just in case it shows up as not being insured. You can tax it for the whole year in one go, and then cancel if you are going to be away for a while, or monthly and do the same. If you do decide to do this, just use a word processor and compile a letter giving the person who is looking after your car permission to do so, just in case the po lice think it is nicked.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 04/10/2023 at 11:17

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - catsdad

Just to clarify for anyone not familiar with the law, the third party cover to drive other cars only applies if the car concerned is also insured in its own right. Short term cover would meet this.

Estate - Car for occasional use when in UK - HGV ~ P Valentine

Yes you are right, for your full insurance to get 3rd party cover on others cars you will need full insurance to get his addition, however you can get temp cover with no insurance at all, this link shows why a person might need it, just as an example for buying/testing a car and you do not have any insurance, if someone borrows your car and do not normally have a vehicle etc If you are looking to buy your first car, or not had a car for a while and therefore let your previous insurance go.

What Is Short-Term Car Insurance And Should I Get It? – Forbes Advisor INDIA