What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - John F

Came across this comment in another thread.....

..... but as with full EV’s or any car for that matter 12v battery failure can stop proceedings for a very short spell and cost you a mighty £80-£150 or so to cure. Hardly a disaster, as long as you don’t try to jump start them, this can cause problems.....

......which set me thinking. I have occasionally jump started our cars over the years, and used them to jump start others; never had a problem. Admittedly our cars have usually been older than most, but what exactly can go wrong if the advice regarding correct sequential connection and disconnection of the jump leads is followed?

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - FiestaOwner

I've never had a problem doing this either.

.... but what exactly can go wrong if the advice regarding correct sequential connection and disconnection of the jump leads is followed?

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head here. I suspect in many cases the jump pack or jump leads are being connected the wrong way round. Or the leads are being momentarily touched off the wrong terminals.

It's amazing how many people don't know how to push start a car either. I've twice pushed cars and when the car got moving the driver just turned the key expecting it to start. They'd no idea about putting it in 2nd and letting the clutch out!!!

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - gordonbennet

A colleague gave himself a £600 bill many years jump starting a friend with his 1st gen Laguna, blew the dash, no doubt only some cheap parts were blown but increasingly even finding someone capable or willing to fix such units was difficult.

He was an experienced car transporter driver so would have multiple experiences of jump starting across flat batteries, many's the time we'd have to fit two or more saets of leads to start Diesel engines such as Transits and Terranos such was the requirement for current.

Had a heart stopping moment a few years ago in my own works car park, freezing morning and a Corsa wouldn't start just a dead thump of the starter, jumped it off my Landcruiser (twin batteries so massive CCA) still only a thump, i'd let him connect his side so wondered if a nasty result for me, however the penny had by then dropped and after i asked him if his car had any anti freeze in and his reply being no, i removed my leads wished him luck and went home.

HJ used to warn against jump starting Toyota hybrids, stated damage would be revealed later on, its not a system i'd want to risk jumping.

I have a proper heavy duty jump pack with master switch, can get all conections safely and double checked before switching on.

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - bathtub tom
HJ used to warn against jump starting Toyota hybrids, stated damage would be revealed later on, its not a system i'd want to risk jumping.

I don't know why. On Yaris hybrids there's a terminal under the bonnet (the 12v battery's under the back seat). I have heard the current surge can damage delicate electronics, but I suspect that's because won't admit they connected the leads the wrong way round.

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - elekie&a/c doctor
The jump point under the bonnet is to power the 12volt auxiliary battery so that the ignition can be switched on . There’s no starter motor on these , so not sure how how the electrical systems could be damaged, unless the leads are reversed. Jump packs seem to be the way forward, can’t remember the last time I used a set of leads .
Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - sammy1

On more modern cars these jump points are also advised to be used to charge the cars battery rather than the battery terminals. Getting at the battery on some cars is a challenge in itself. I could not even find the thing on one car that I had, it was " buried" in the side of the boot

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - blindspot

its ok to jump start a hybrid yaris. just the yaris must not return the favour

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - madf

On a BMW I3, you need some dismantling of trim to find the 12V battery - in the "frunk" (front trunk)

Stories of BMW dealers charging £400 to change a £50 motorcycle size battery (it's a DIY ob after you switch off the HV electrical switch)

Any - Can 'jump starting' cause damage? If so, what? - HGV ~ P Valentine

You are right I have jumped loads of cars, but made the mistake once on the job ( recovery ) of connecting the leads up the worng way and breaking the alternator, it is the operator at fault not the action of jump starting a car.

I always get the battery checked if it was not because I left summit on in the car.