What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Tourer - Civic Tourer Rear Indicator fault - monkeyboy3

I have a 2016 Hone Civic Tourer. Passenger side rear indicator is not working. Front and mirror both ok but its doing that really fast clicking and flashing. Whenever I've had this before its been the bulb.

Tried a new bulb today and still the same, even swapped over driver rear bulb and still nothing.

Wiring looks to all be ok

The wires are soldiered into the light housing.

Anyone any ideas?

Honda Civic Tourer - Civic Tourer Rear Indicator fault - elekie&a/c doctor
Difficult to test the circuit on these. The circuit is controlled by the “micu” module, which is basically a body control unit . May be an idea to test the circuit before it enters the back of the lamp unit .

Where would you test this? The wires enter the lamp unit and is in a sealed part looks likely soldered, I'll get pics tomorrow, no other connections that I can see that are accessible.

There is no sign at all of any corrosion and everything looks dry and clean at the unit. How easy is it to change the unit with the wires, just a case of snip them and get a new unit that has clip or screw terminals?

Edited by monkeyboy3 on 10/06/2023 at 22:34

I cant upload a photo, but the metal contact within the bulb housing/holder is goosed so I need a new holder, going to have to cut the wires on entry as there is some hard wax filling which is impossible to remove.

Any one able help with best place to source one? Had a quick google but nothing that looks like mines

Are you sure this is an original Honda lamp ? I wouldn’t expect the contact to be broken on a car this age .

Yip 100% I've had the car since new

There is a chance it has broken changing the bulbs about but either way needs a new one, will find out once replaced if that was the faulty or a new on created by changing bulbs

Edited by monkeyboy3 on 11/06/2023 at 19:59

Can the bulb holder be separated from the lamp unit ? Does it take one of those large capless bulbs?

I cant upload a pic here, but basically 2 wires go straight into the housing unit PY21W these wires are not accessible and sealed within by a hard wax compound, took ages to pick 75% of it out, no way to recover the wires in tacked so had to cut the wires on entry to the unit.

The unit its self takes a PY21W amber bulb

I've order a new unit on amazon with cables pre wired, and i'll joint them onto the originla cables and hopefully that will work.

If the wire were not compounded into the unit it would have been a simple unplug the wires, take the bulb out, and order a like for like replacement part from honda, not sure if this compound is normal but what a pain.

Silicone rubbery compound used for water entry prevention . Used all over the car by all makers .

its a right pain if you need to replace the unit lol, no way they wires are coming out in tacked

Honda Civic Tourer - Civic Tourer Rear Indicator fault - Bolt

its a right pain if you need to replace the unit lol, no way they wires are coming out in tacked

Wires should go through rubber grommet in body and along the inside of unit and easy to pull away

GENUINE 2011-2015 HONDA CIVIC ESTATE MARK 9 - PASSENGER SIDE OUTER REAR LIGHT | eBay

this is what mine looked like