What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf - Help choosing a car - round 2 - RDavies

Following the disaster that was my brother's Mazda3 which is 99.9% to be refunded, he's looking for another car again (must be automatic) and has his eyes set on mk 7.5 2.0 Golf GT TDI Bluemotion Tech (67 plate with around 60k on the clock and FSH from VW), cost is just under 15K

Would this be a wise choice or is there another trim he should consider for upto £15k? Just a bit of background here (it's a long read) www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=178423

He's had a few courtesy cars in the past month - hated the Aygo, liked the drive on a Yaris but not the car itself, liked an MG ZS (but not its size or fuel consumption) and unimpressed with the gears on an Mercedes A180 (bit jerky at low speeds, not responsive enough when speed varies). One thing he's learned is that Android Autoplay for him is a must now, and preferably LED or Xenon headlights.

Another option he's considering is a BMW 1 series - he's never been in one before - any opinions on these?

I know that someone was saying never to get a diesel auto or one with DSG, but then the same person said to get a Mazda3 which he's had nothing but trouble with from day 1...

Thanks in anticipation for any advice

Edited by RDavies on 09/06/2023 at 10:40

VW Golf - Help choosing a car - round 2 - Adampr

I'm not sure the fact that he ended up with a lemon invalidates the advice previously given. A VW, a diesel and a DSG all contribute to being less reliable on average than a Mazda 3. However, there's nothing to say that a Golf will not be reliable; it's just the odds are better with something Japanese.

As for the Golf, I'd highlight two things (having owned a 7.5 myself)

1. He needs to do a long test drive. I couldn't stand the seats in mine. Others have no problem with them at all, so it's a completely personal thing.

2. I recall you saying one of the problems with the Mazda was intrusive safety features. The Golf has a fairly sensitive 'front assist' that, in my case, liked to inexplicably brake from time to time.

Other than that, it's a very competent car. The adaptive cruise is great. The built-in SatNav is atrocious, so wise to use Android Auto.q

Has he looked at the Kia Proceed at all?

Hi, thanks for replying. I think he's gotten used to the safety features when they're adjusted properly. I found his distance control was set to maximum for example. When they were adjusted it improved things. He's very reliant on GMaps so Android Auto is a godsend for him.

Looked at the Kia but it's slightly out of his price range. With being given a lemon, I agree that it doesn't mean all cars are like that, but he being he, does think that way. That started when he ended up with 3 different cars of the same make and model in succession that all had faults.

VW Golf - Help choosing a car - round 2 - Ian_SW

The GT spec in a Golf is quite nice, but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a Golf which is nearing 6 years old.

It's also worth looking at the Leon which is much the same car underneath but significantly cheaper, particularly secondhand as it doesn't have the VW badge which is quite desirable among younger buyers particularly on the Golf. You'd probably get a 4 year old similar spec Leon for the same money.

Pretty much every newer car has intrusive driver "assistance" features of some sort. The main thing to check is how easy they are to turn off. On the motorway and in town they rarely intervene, but if your trip is on fast country roads they can't cope. My wife has the current model Leon and that needs the "Lane Assist" switching off every time we leave home as the first few miles are down a fast-ish B road where it constantly thinks you're about to drive into the hedge and tries to push you out too far into the middle of the road. After having had the car a year, turning it off (via a rather irritating set of menus on the touchscreen) is now as much a part of the setting off routine as switching on the ignition and putting seatbelts on.

Thanks again - I was thinking the price was a bit on the high side. This tech does seem unavoidable in newer cars...

I'm encouraging him to go back to a non-plugin hybrid again and look at Hyundai Ioniq / i3 or possibly a Prius which all hit his tickboxes (asides them being hybrid - the Auris is out as he's insisting on Android auto).... time for a trip to a car dealer again...

VW Golf - Help choosing a car - round 2 - Heidfirst

I'm encouraging him to go back to a non-plugin hybrid again and look at Hyundai Ioniq / i3 or possibly a Prius which all hit his tickboxes (asides them being hybrid - the Auris is out as he's insisting on Android auto).... time for a trip to a car dealer again...

For the money that he paid for the Mazda he can get into a Corolla. Android Auto should be available in that (although possibly only wired connection to the infotainment.)