What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ANY - Insurance costs - _

Just read one in the Guardian this morning.

www.theguardian.com/money/2023/may/30/saga-nearly-...m

Policy cost £1,155, so you can imagine the shock when the renewal came through for this year and it was £2,044 – nearly double the price of last year.

Bought elsewhere for £979.

ANY - Insurance costs - mcb100
Whereas 20 year old daughter in 20 year old Clio has seen a reduction in her premium for a renewal a couple of days ago. About £15 a month cheaper than last year as she starts to build a No Claims discount.
ANY - Insurance costs - groaver

I stopped using Saga products last year.

It didn't feel to me that they were trying to be competitive for their customers, more like trying to fleece them.

YVMV.

ANY - Insurance costs - FoxyJukebox
I’m wondering if all insurers are guilty of offering a lower “come on in” price for the first year then levelling it up twelve months later.. This is sharp practice based on a pathetic assumption that customers will automatically renew .
In the meantime sensible people should just move insurers every year to get the cheapest and best price.
ANY - Insurance costs - Lee Power

Recently had the insurance renewal price email & its gone up £332.

I wont be renewing with them as I've found suitable cover elsewhere a lot cheaper.

ANY - Insurance costs - bathtub tom

I thought legislation had been introduced that prevented new customers being quoted lower premiums than existing customers. Having said that, I've just renewed my breakdown insurance as a new customer, at a lower price than the renewal quote.

ANY - Insurance costs - sammy1

MINI 1.5 sport last year £175 this year renewal £258 almost 50% increase with Flow an online part of LV. Did not even bother talking to them Renewed with the Nodding Dog for £220.. I wonder what percentage the compare companies get as commission. With the increase prices of all cars and those stolen increasing hardly a surprise that premiums are up but is the watchdog really on the side of the consumer when 50% increases are bandied about.

ANY - Insurance costs - daveyjp
Last year about £240, this year £320. Comparison for cover which meets my needs nothing less than £400.
ANY - Insurance costs - Engineer Andy
I’m wondering if all insurers are guilty of offering a lower “come on in” price for the first year then levelling it up twelve months later.. This is sharp practice based on a pathetic assumption that customers will automatically renew . In the meantime sensible people should just move insurers every year to get the cheapest and best price.

That first explanation has been valid for deacades - when I bought my first car (96N Micra 1L) in 1998, Nissan had a 'deal' with RAC Insurance so that for those over 21 would pay only £350pa for fully comp insurance with a PCNB.

Next year it went up to £440. The following year £550, the year after that £640. The next nearest quotes back then were coming in at around the £750 - £1k mark. They knew I (I was very naive back then) was a captive of them until I was nearer 25 - 30.

Many insureres still do 'sweet' introductory offers. I remember in th Construction Industry where similar practices took place, e.g. the 'controls equipment' manufacturers almost gave away their kit at cost price, but charged a fortune for replacement parts (most only had a 1 year warranty) and software upgrades.

Similarly, we all know about similar practices from the computer printer manufacturers with their hardware, short-fill OEM ink and extortionate replacement ink prices, and now some actually auto-installing sioftware 'patches' that restrict non-OEM replacement ink cartridges from working.

ANY - Insurance costs - Miniman777

Hiking prices seems to be the norm.

Friend in rural Nottinghamshire was quoted £765 comp by the insurance co with the dog. Aged 76, 8k miles, 17 plate Kuga, 1.6 diesel. Haggled, but refused to reduce.

Went to LV and saved £270. As we know, no loyalty, shop around.

Some of the excuses, such as a lack of parts, are correct. I visited one bodyshop 2 months ago for a dent quote and they had 20 cars in stages of repair waiting for parts.

ANY - Insurance costs - Andrew-T

Hiking prices seems to be the norm..

Insurance might seem to be something unaffected by global raw-material cost rises, but I guess the cost of repairing and reimbursing loss must inflate like everything else. So why is anyone surprised ?

ANY - Insurance costs - galileo

Last year's insurance was £321, a reduction of £2 on the previous year.

This year's renewal is £448, which is lower than the comparison sites so I'll stay with LV=..

I mentioned it to my mate (a week younger than I am so also turned 80 this year) and he had a similar increase in premium.

Seems like LV= are good for the older driver. My (now 80yo) dad left his old staff / retiree policy at Axa for them a few years ago when his prices started rising quite a bit in percentage terms, though from a very low base.

My QuoteMeHappy price has stayed relatively stable (down a bit on year 2 and up a bit [about £10 if I recall] this year), roughly at the £190pa mark.

I'm not really complaining, given that I was paying around £400 (with esure) when I bought my Mazda3 back in 2006 when I was in my early-mid 30 and mostly paying in the £300 range for a good amount of time until I change to QMH a little over 2 years ago.

ANY - Insurance costs - Steveieb

LV have recently been voted the top choice for car insurance and to get a great deal it’s worth joining Boundless Motoring Group for a 5% discount and a further 5% for a joint House , Motor policy.

LV do not hand brokers fees to the comparison websites and also underwrite their own policies.

A previous poster reported having a accident a breakfast time and LV had collected and delivered the car to the repairers by 9.

ANY - Insurance costs - John F

Seems like LV= are good for the older driver. My (now 80yo) dad .........

Not for this septuagenarian. I'd been with LV= for some time but in March they hugely increased my premium for my 2005 Audi A8 W12 to over £500 for no apparent reason. So, remembering the corkscrew moustached tenor being marginally less irritating than a bunch of meerkats, I went and compared. Ended up with Swinton classic, with even less excess to pay, for £304. Goodness knows what the Guardian's Saga driver had done to incur such a massive quote for a mere TT.

ANY - Insurance costs - Terry W

We all know insurance companies (home, motor in particular) have for years (probably decades) relied upon customer inertia or inefficiency when it comes to annual renewals.

They pull you in with good first year deals and then exploit the relationship. Some try it on after a year, others wait 2 or 3 years. A poor business model in my view as it abuses rather than creates customer loyalty.

We all also know that the solution lies in our hands - if the premium increases it takes less than 15 minutes to get a range of alternative quotes.

If the increase warrants challenge - call the existing company to see whether they can match or get close to the alternative. They only get one chance. Otherwise move on.

The problem is that it's the level of customer service when you make a claim is what should matter as much as the premium. Unfortunately most people go by price alone, because they don't claim very often.

I can understand how difficult it can be trying to compare two quotes where one from a supposedly amazing firm is twice the price / several £000 more than another that's 'just ok'.

From what I'm reading here and my dad's own experience, LV= appears to be one that getting the value for money balance right - very good customer service, reasonable price.

I did consider changing to them when I was moving from esure, but went with QMH because they were the cheapest for my provision level (excesses). I suspect that older people go with with following good reports on the customer service because they don't want the hassle when having a claim.