What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - Alex.9473

Hi, I am looking at changing my car to a 2019 Kia Need 1.6 diesel engine, the model looks to have excellent mpg and seems reasonably priced for a roomy family hatchback. I am looking at this model as I am hoping to start a family soon so need a bigger a car to accommodate our things. We also have family that live around the UK so the choice of diesel would be more economical for the miles we will be getting in.

I just wanted any opinions on that particular car if anyone on this forums owns or has owned one?, is the MPG as good as Kia makes out? what are the common faults if there is any? how have people found the drive? would be interested to know some thoughts?

I have test drove a few models of this version and for me this does feel good to drive.

This model of Kia doesn't seem to be that popular in around the city I live, don't think I have noticed one ever!

Edited by _ORB_ on 08/05/2023 at 16:18

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - _

Make sure you buy from a Kia dealer with full KIA service history. Warranty, as you will not know how the car was driven before you and beware of lez and ulez areas.

Edited by _ORB_ on 08/05/2023 at 16:19

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - skidpan

We had a Ceed CRDi but it was a few years ago. No issues with it at all.

is the MPG as good as Kia makes out?

No car matches the official MPG figures but just remember that these are not manufacturers claims, they are Government figures and are the only one manufacturers can advertise.

For the record ours averaged just over 50 mpg, well short of the government figures but in my experience pretty good, a Mondeo we had struggled to average 40 mpg.

We replaced our Ceed with a modern small petrol turbo (a Seata nd then a Skoda). Take into account the lower cost of petrol and our mpg is only about 2 mpg less. The petrol car drives much better and you will never have expensive DPF issues. They are also more likely to be allowed in cites for much longer than diesels.

But Kia petrol turbo's don't seem to be economical so perhaps avoid them.

This model of Kia doesn't seem to be that popular in around the city I live, don't think I have noticed one ever!

Modern diesels are not suitable for city use which is probably why you don't see many. DPF's are fitted to all diesels sold after 01 January 2011 and will give expensive issues if used in town for long periods. Look out of the city and you probably see many more.

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - badbusdriver

The point where diesel economy outweighs the other running costs is generally considered to be around 12-15k + miles per annum. If you do less than that, especially if the car is only going to get longer runs every now and again, a petrol engined car would be a better bet. This last point is specifically because of the chances of DPF problems (which will happen with most modern diesels if the car is primarily used for short urban journeys). MPG is not the only factor in the running costs of a car, servicing a petrol car will be cheaper, most parts needed for a petrol car will be cheaper (significantly in some cases).

But even if you do the miles to justify diesel, (because you are buying used) there is no way for you to establish how the car you are looking at has been driven. You may be buying a car who's DPF is on the point of needing replaced, and that will not be covered by the warranty.

In general, buyers go for convenience, so if you do not have a local dealer, there won't be that many Kia's. The town where I live got an MG dealership a couple of years ago and now MG's are ten a penny!.

Final point is that the Hyundai i30 is the same as the Ceed under the skin, Kia and Hyundai are the same company. Kia's have a longer warranty, but the Hyundai warranty (5 years) is apparently more comprehensive.

Edited by badbusdriver on 08/05/2023 at 17:41

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - movilogo

I have a 2014 Ceed petrol DCT - now at 71k miles.

Official economy is 46 MPG and I get 40 MPG on average for mixed journeys. On pure motorway journey at steady 60 MPH it can achieve 50 MPG. For mostly around town journeys MPG falls to 35.

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - skidpan

Kia's have a longer warranty, but the Hyundai warranty (5 years) is apparently more comprehensive.

No difference in what is covered but the time and mileage limit is different.

Hyundai is 5 years unlimited.

Kia is 7 years 100,000 miles but it is unlimited in the first 3 years.

So if you intend to keep the car 5 years and go to the moon several times get a Hyundai.

If you intend to keep the car 7 years and do under 100,000 miles (like most owners in the UK) get a Kia.

But to ensure you have a warranty keep both marques serviced (preferably by a dealer).

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - Alex.9473

Thank you very much everyone, this is very valuable information. With the amount of miles i intend to do, the deisel option will be better and it will keep the DFP in good condition. Just another question relating to the Kia Ceed, what is the noise like when at fast motorway speeds, this I am asking for the diesel 1.6 engine only?

Just another question relating to the Kia Ceed, what is the noise like when at fast motorway speeds, this I am asking for the diesel 1.6 engine only?

At the legal limit the 1.6 CRDi is pretty much inaudible.

But tyre noise can be an issue especially as the tyres wear. Ours went from normal on a trip to Scotland to pretty much unbearable on the way back, thought there was a serious issue. dealer said it was tyre wear and I assumed he was simply making it up. So when I got home I put the winters back on and the car was quiet as normal, the Android APP confirmed this so not my imagination.

Annoying thing was the tyres were expensive Michelins with about 5 mm tread depth. Sold it soon after due to change in our needs.

Look on the Kia Forum, very common issue with most Kia models.

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - Engineer Andy

Just another question relating to the Kia Ceed, what is the noise like when at fast motorway speeds, this I am asking for the diesel 1.6 engine only?

At the legal limit the 1.6 CRDi is pretty much inaudible.

But tyre noise can be an issue especially as the tyres wear. Ours went from normal on a trip to Scotland to pretty much unbearable on the way back, thought there was a serious issue. dealer said it was tyre wear and I assumed he was simply making it up. So when I got home I put the winters back on and the car was quiet as normal, the Android APP confirmed this so not my imagination.

Annoying thing was the tyres were expensive Michelins with about 5 mm tread depth. Sold it soon after due to change in our needs.

Look on the Kia Forum, very common issue with most Kia models.

Maybe it's more of an issue with older cars (less money spent on soundproofing than the latest versions) or those shod on less 'sensible' wheel/tyre combos. I have noted that a lot of Kia Rios and sister Hyundai i20s - latest and older ones apiece - are shod on 'bigger' alloys and low profile tyres, which according to the HJ reviews, doesn't do the ride quality any good, which probably is similar for road noise.

The last two Ceed / i30 versions can come shod on 17/18 rims, but the mid and lower spec models still appear to come shod on the common, more sensible 205/55 R16s my old Mazda3 originally was, which are a good compromise all-around. The latest Ceed is a very nicely styled car (far better than the i30 IMHO), so it would be a shame if KIA didn't get the soundproofing right. I would seriously consider getting one next time out.

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - Engineer Andy

As regards 'real world' mpg, this website has an area dedicated to owners reporting what they achieve and reporting the range/average - it's the REAL MPG' link at the top of the page. To help you is this specific query, below is the link for the latest Ceed, with all the engine variants listed:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/kia/ceed-2018

Nice car generally - I prefer the syling over its Hyundai (i30) sister car. Make sure yany car you look at has a full main dealership service history in order to benefit from the 7 year warranty generally, noting that wear and tear items like the clutch will have a much shorter one, and the DPF on diesel versions will only be able get claims under the warranty if you can prove that your driving pattern isn't predominantly short urban trips from cold and that you never interrupt an active DPF regen by turning the engine off.

Only buy a modern diesel engined car if you predominantly do longer trips (20 miles+) / annual mileages over 20,000, where the car fully warms up and thus the DPF is kept clear of crud via passive regens through ordinary use, or if you need it for heavy load lugging, which realistically would suit a 2L TD better for that size of car. No 2L diesel for this Ceed though.

Otherwise buy a petrol engined car - they're cheaper to buy and maintain, modern ones are quite economical (especially in the real world), helped - especially at the moment - by petrol being a reasonable amount cheaper than diesel at the pumps.

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - pd

They are generally very good cars which are decent to drive as well.

The only real weakness I've come across is the clutch which can wear and also sometimes ends up with a really low bite point.

Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi ISG 2 5dr - What's the modern Kia Ceed (post 2018 model like? - ronald bennett

DPF equipped diesels are ok if you are aware of how they function. I have a Kia Sportage 1.7crdi and knew about the issues when i bought it nearly 4 years ago. It doesn't matter whether the car does mainly short journeys as long as you know when a regen is taking place. The problems arise when the engine is stopped during a regen so its not allowed to complete it. I have the app Car Scanner on my i phone connected to a plug in OBD2 reader. Car scanner shows the soot level in the DPF and the miles since the last regen. When the soot level reaches 15g to 16 grams the regen starts and this is usually about every 160 miles. The soot level doesn't seem to accumulate any faster whether the car is driven on local runs or a fast one. Car scanner also indicates the regen is taking place because the exhaust temperature rises to 700c. A run of about 12 miles clears the soot to zero and then i know it's another 160 miles until the next one. Sound a faff monitoring this but petrol Sportages aren't known for being particularly economical. When posters say that diesels are more suited to higher mileages is probably true to a certain extent only because the chances of completed regens are more likely.

DPF equipped diesels are ok if you are aware of how they function. I have a Kia Sportage 1.7crdi and knew about the issues when i bought it nearly 4 years ago. It doesn't matter whether the car does mainly short journeys as long as you know when a regen is taking place. The problems arise when the engine is stopped during a regen so its not allowed to complete it. I have the app Car Scanner on my i phone connected to a plug in OBD2 reader. Car scanner shows the soot level in the DPF and the miles since the last regen. When the soot level reaches 15g to 16 grams the regen starts and this is usually about every 160 miles. The soot level doesn't seem to accumulate any faster whether the car is driven on local runs or a fast one. Car scanner also indicates the regen is taking place because the exhaust temperature rises to 700c. A run of about 12 miles clears the soot to zero and then i know it's another 160 miles until the next one. Sound a faff monitoring this but petrol Sportages aren't known for being particularly economical. When posters say that diesels are more suited to higher mileages is probably true to a certain extent only because the chances of completed regens are more likely.

The soot should accumulate faster if you predominantly do short runs from cold rather than longer runs, because you get far more complete combustion on the latter.

The passive regen is then done on a long run (probably on a high speed road like a motorway) where the DPF/exhaust gets up to a reaonable temperature to burn off the soot and get rid of it via the exhaust, just at a slower rate than an active or forced regen, which is only done when there is enough soot in the DPF to start causing problems with the exhaust flow resistance, and thus affect the output of the engine.

Mainly doing short runs from cold with a very occasional longer run won't make much of a difference because it's likely that a good deal of soot would have built up on the short runs and any passive regenning won't burn off that much compared to an active regen, which is at a higher temperature and is presumably designed to get rid of far more significant deposits in the DPF.

Surely a well-designed diesel engined car used predominantly for longer runs should rarely need any active regens - certainly not every 160 miles, which is why they should be bought for that type of use rather than petrol-engined cars, which are more suited to shorter runs, but have improved their mpg enough to move the needle on changing from one to the other by (my guess) 5000 miles pa. Obviously ability to tow still rests with diesels for the very most part.

The previous Sportage is a bigger / heavier and higher sided SUV than its Ceed (what the OP is looking at) cousin, and is likley far better suited to turbo diesel and petrol engines than those previous designed non turbo petrols they used to have - which weren't that well regarded, especially on performance / mpg. The turbo petrols seem to be a decent improvement, although still behind the best that VAG and others currently offer, though the gap is narrowing.