What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Warning

The new Honda CRV is available as a 2.0L engine and is now a hybrid. The previous was a 1.0L petrol with Turbo.

The new Honda CRV is available as a 2.0L engine and is now a hybrid. The previous was a 1.5L petrol with turbo.

Is this a case of manufacturers ditching Turbos in favour of Hybrids?

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Adampr

The new Honda CRV is available as a 2.0L engine and is now a hybrid. The previous was a 1.0L petrol with Turbo.

The new Honda CRV is available as a 2.0L engine and is now a hybrid. The previous was a 1.5L petrol with turbo.

Is this a case of manufacturers ditching Turbos in favour of Hybrids?

Yes

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Steveieb

Do you mean the new Civic is 2.0 non turbo Adam?

Possibly because the ICE is not directly connected to the wheels as it merely charges the batteries which feed the electric motor.

So no need for a turbo ?

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Warning

These ones :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/honda/civic/ [NEW]

www.honestjohn.co.uk/honda/civic/2017/ [Previous Generation - with turbo]

Edited by Warning on 05/05/2023 at 20:13

Possibly because the ICE is not directly connected to the wheels as it merely charges the batteries which feed the electric motor.

So no need for a turbo ?

That want actually what I meant originally but, yes, I believe that's the case.

What I actually.meant was simply that manufactures are indeed ditching turbos for hybrid. It makes sense, really. More torque, less lag and fewer moving bits to go wrong. The Renault PHEVS non-turbo engines make a lot of sense for crusing under low loads and electric engines are great off the line and at lower speeds, not so good for continuous high speed running We might even (notwithstanding carbon issues) see a return to non-turbo diesels if all they need to do is chug along on the motorway!

Edited by Adampr on 05/05/2023 at 20:48

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - badbusdriver

That isn't the case with most hybrids and while I'm not 100% sure, I don't think it is for the Honda's either. What you are thinking of is a range extender like the Vauxhall Ampera, some versions of the BMW i3 and the forthcoming range extender version of the Mazda MX-30.

That isn't the case with most hybrids and while I'm not 100% sure, I don't think it is for the Honda's either. What you are thinking of is a range extender like the Vauxhall Ampera, some versions of the BMW i3 and the forthcoming range extender version of the Mazda MX-30.

I think it is the case for the Civic, except at high speeds.

Just been looking at Honda's website, doesn't appear to work any different than a Corolla hybrid?

You are right, wasn't looking at the animations properly!.

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - skidpan

Yet again people on here are being anti turbo. I simply cannot understand why, they rarely give issues and make a small engine perform like a much larger one still retaining the economy of the small engine.

We have bought 10 turbo's now (petrol and diesel) and have yet to have a single issue with one.

What I actually meant was simply that manufactures are indeed ditching turbos for hybrid. It makes sense, really. More torque, less lag and fewer moving bits to go wrong

That comment is just plain nonsense. Whist the hybrid part does add some torques its minimal compared to what a turbo adds.

I have driven both types. Tried a Corolla estate 2.0 and was quite impressed with it. In town it was great, on the motorway at constant speed it was great but in hilly areas it was pretty much like Toyota Hybrids of old where the engine revs rose very quick when more power was requested and its not just the CVT to blame.

Compare it to our Superb PHEV which we use as a conventional Hybrid when we are in Scotland simply because there are no charging opportunities. Like the Toyota its great in town and whilst it does not go that far on electric power it surprises us how far it goes with 0 miles showing on the dash. On Motorways its just like the Toyota, ICE drops out on level and downhill sections. But the difference is on hilly roads (plenty in Scotland). ICE is running pretty much all the time (except on downhill sections) where the revs remain calm and the car responsive.

On a Scottish trip with no charging it will still average 60 mpg (calculated) which is more than we saw on the dash of the Corolla when we had it for a 1/2 day drive.

To me the mix of ICE, turbo and hybrid is perfect solution.

We might even (notwithstanding carbon issues) see a return to non-turbo diesels if all they need to do is chug along on the motorway!

Have you ever driven a non-turbo diesel, they are pretty dreadful. We had a Golf TDI 90 PS and a Polo Diesel 65 PS at the same time and it was nigh and day between them. Not only was the Golf way faster it was also way more economical in both day to day use and on motorways.

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Bolt

If its true as stated on the test runs on the Civic hybrid the fuel economy is better than a turbo. The road test I saw the driver had 80+ miles to the gallon which I have only ever heard of the Honda Civic 1.6 diesel beat

The non turbo may not be as quick but think most would go for economy over power imo....

Yet again people on here are being anti turbo. I simply cannot understand why, they rarely give issues and make a small engine perform like a much larger one still retaining the economy of the small engine.

We have bought 10 turbo's now (petrol and diesel) and have yet to have a single issue with one.

What I actually meant was simply that manufactures are indeed ditching turbos for hybrid. It makes sense, really. More torque, less lag and fewer moving bits to go wrong

That comment is just plain nonsense. Whist the hybrid part does add some torques its minimal compared to what a turbo adds.

I have driven both types. Tried a Corolla estate 2.0 and was quite impressed with it. In town it was great, on the motorway at constant speed it was great but in hilly areas it was pretty much like Toyota Hybrids of old where the engine revs rose very quick when more power was requested and its not just the CVT to blame.

Compare it to our Superb PHEV which we use as a conventional Hybrid when we are in Scotland simply because there are no charging opportunities. Like the Toyota its great in town and whilst it does not go that far on electric power it surprises us how far it goes with 0 miles showing on the dash. On Motorways its just like the Toyota, ICE drops out on level and downhill sections. But the difference is on hilly roads (plenty in Scotland). ICE is running pretty much all the time (except on downhill sections) where the revs remain calm and the car responsive.

On a Scottish trip with no charging it will still average 60 mpg (calculated) which is more than we saw on the dash of the Corolla when we had it for a 1/2 day drive.

To me the mix of ICE, turbo and hybrid is perfect solution.

We might even (notwithstanding carbon issues) see a return to non-turbo diesels if all they need to do is chug along on the motorway!

Have you ever driven a non-turbo diesel, they are pretty dreadful. We had a Golf TDI 90 PS and a Polo Diesel 65 PS at the same time and it was nigh and day between them. Not only was the Golf way faster it was also way more economical in both day to day use and on motorways.

I think you're ignoring the whole discussion on how the Honda hybrid works.

As for turbos, I have two turbocharged cars sitting on my drive right now. I agree, they're both fine. Neither has quite the response that their fully electric predecessor did, which is my point.

The Honda hybrid uses the electric drive as the focus of the engine, with the ICE acting as a generator except at a cruise. It's not the same anaemic electric drive as a PHEV.

Hmm, not sure just how much you have looked into that, but that certainly isn't the case with the Renault Clio and Captur (full) self charge hybrids I have been looking into re our next car. They use two electric motors on top if the n/a 1.6, the larger of which makes 205NM and the smaller one adds another 50NM. And that is on top of the 144NM produced by the ICE.

And of course as everyone knows, electric motors produce maximum torque from zero revs.

So while opinions may differ on how well something like a Clio E-Tech works compared to a turbo petrol of equivalent performance, nothing about the comment is nonsense.

I'd also argue that this is more to do with being spoiled with ever more unnecessarily powerful and fast (with regards of their use, UK speed limits and UK traffic conditions) cars, along with the impatience of most drivers.

I currently use a Caddy van for my work which has a n/a 2.0 diesel with around 70bhp. It certainly isn't going to win many races, but it does the job fine (also more economical than the 1.8 turbo diesel Transit Connect I had before it)

In the early 90's I had a (1985) Fiesta with a n/a 1.6 diesel (circa 54bhp) and I don't recall ever feeling it was either terrible in general, or just terribly slow. Ditto for the 1.9 Peugeot 305 (circa 70bhp) parts van at a garage I worked at, and the 1.5 Peugeot 106 (58bhp) hire cars at another garage I worked at, and the 1.9 VW Polo (64bhp) my wife had when we met (which would manage 60mpg with little effort).

I'd also argue that this is more to do with being spoiled with ever more unnecessarily powerful and fast (with regards of their use, UK speed limits and UK traffic conditions) cars, along with the impatience of most drivers.

This was back in 1996, before the days of ever increasing power output of cars. Simple fact was you had to really thrash the Polo to drive at decent speed (and overtaking took planning and nerves of steel) whereas in the Golf it was easy to keep up a good average and overtake even though it had (by todays standards) only 90 PS and 148 torques.

When I sold the Polo I vowed to never have such a low powered car again.

Simple fact was you had to really thrash the Polo to drive at decent speed (and overtaking took planning and nerves of steel)

It can't be a fact if someone else with the same car never had any trouble keeping up a decent speed (without thrashing it), nor overtaking (which was my experience with my wife's 1999 Polo). Same for the 75bhp Peugeot Partner Combi, the 80bhp Ford Fusion, and the 68bhp Daihatsu Sirion which followed.

Though reading various comments on the forum over the years, it always surprises me how much power people seem to think they need in order to overtake or keep up a decent speed.

Simple fact was you had to really thrash the Polo to drive at decent speed (and overtaking took planning and nerves of steel)

It can't be a fact if someone else with the same car never had any trouble keeping up a decent speed (without thrashing it), nor overtaking (which was my experience with my wife's 1999 Polo). Same for the 75bhp Peugeot Partner Combi, the 80bhp Ford Fusion, and the 68bhp Daihatsu Sirion which followed.

Though reading various comments on the forum over the years, it always surprises me how much power people seem to think they need in order to overtake or keep up a decent speed.

Since selling the Polo (in 1999) we have had 2 1.2 litre Micras (a 2005 and a 2007) the last of which we sold in 2015. Both had the 80 PS engine and we never had issues maintaining a decent speed or overtaking and neither needed thrashing. Guess it fair to say the 1.9 VW diesel was well beyond its sell by date in 1996 or more likely the TDi engine in the Golf was far superior and actually more economical.

Wife had a 1.0 litre Metro in the late 80's and that was positively dangerous.

Hmm, not sure just how much you have looked into that, but that certainly isn't the case with the Renault Clio and Captur (full) self charge hybrids I have been looking into re our next car.

Just had a quick look at the Clio and it just shows how ludicrous a modern city car has got. Whilst I would never want a low powered car again the 145 PS the Clio has is far beyond what any city car needs.

Our Fabia has 110 PS and never lacks in acceleration cruising ability. Off to Cadwell in it tomorrow and I just wish it was the late 80's when you could drive faster and still be legal. I am sure it would be quicker than the cars I had in that period that had about the same power but without turbo's were not as flexible.

Hmm, not sure just how much you have looked into that, but that certainly isn't the case with the Renault Clio and Captur (full) self charge hybrids I have been looking into re our next car.

Just had a quick look at the Clio and it just shows how ludicrous a modern city car has got. Whilst I would never want a low powered car again the 145 PS the Clio has is far beyond what any city car needs.

Our Fabia has 110 PS and never lacks in acceleration cruising ability. Off to Cadwell in it tomorrow and I just wish it was the late 80's when you could drive faster and still be legal. I am sure it would be quicker than the cars I had in that period that had about the same power but without turbo's were not as flexible.

The Fabia has been available with up to 180bhp in previous guises.

But that isn't relevant, I brought up the Clio in reference to this comment by you:

Whist the hybrid part does add some torques its minimal compared to what a turbo adds.

Now the closest VAG equivalent engine for power to the Clio E-Tech is the 150bhp 1.5TSI. This makes 250NM in the Ibiza, quite a long way short of what the Clio can muster.

Since selling the Polo (in 1999) we have had 2 1.2 litre Micras (a 2005 and a 2007) the last of which we sold in 2015. Both had the 80 PS engine and we never had issues maintaining a decent speed or overtaking and neither needed thrashing. Guess it fair to say the 1.9 VW diesel was well beyond its sell by date in 1996 or more likely the TDi engine in the Golf was far superior and actually more economical.

Wife had a 1.0 litre Metro in the late 80's and that was positively dangerous.

I once borrowed a Fiat Cinquencento from the garage I worked at in Wigan. Drove to and from Aberdeenshire to spend Chrismas and new year with family. No problem maintaining at least the legal limit on the motorway.

That was the 899cc version with 41bhp.

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - catsdad

You were spoilt bbd. In 1974 I had a 30hp Renault 4 with a theoretical 0-60 of 38 secs. I was living in your neck of the woods then and it got me from Aberdeen to Banchory of an evening as fast as the traffic allowed.

Edited by catsdad on 06/05/2023 at 15:34

Now the closest VAG equivalent engine for power to the Clio E-Tech is the 150bhp 1.5TSI. This makes 250NM in the Ibiza, quite a long way short of what the Clio can muster.

Looked all over and the only figures I can find for the Clio are 140 PS @ 4500 - 5500 rpm and 250 Nm torque between 2250 and 2750 rpm. It also says 1 electric motor is for driving up to 27 mph, the other is a starter/generator.

So about the same as the 1.4 - 1.5 TSI which has no battery and electric motor. Not much progress there.

The 150 PS motor makes 250 Nm in all the cars its fitted to (same as the 1.4 that preceded it). With the added boost from the electric motor my Superb the 1.4 TSi makes 400 Nm of torque.

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Metropolis.
Having driven slower vehicles as well it does become something of a fine art getting everything out of the vehicle and maintaining monentum, can be both rewarding and frustrating in some areas if you are forced to stop regularly before building up to 70 again
Having driven slower vehicles as well it does become something of a fine art getting everything out of the vehicle and maintaining monentum, can be both rewarding and frustrating in some areas if you are forced to stop regularly before building up to 70 again

I used to drive a Bedford Rascal for work sometimes. That was hilarious, especially on mini roundabouts in the wet.

I used to drive a Bedford Rascal for work sometimes. That was hilarious, especially on mini roundabouts in the wet.

Driven a few Rascal's and Supercarry's, and I did own an example of their predecessor, the Suzuki ST90. Yes, great fun in town, not so much crossing the Kessock Bridge in fairly strong wind..............!

Looked all over and the only figures I can find for the Clio are 140 PS @ 4500 - 5500 rpm and 250 Nm torque between 2250 and 2750 rpm. It also says 1 electric motor is for driving up to 27 mph, the other is a starter/generator.

So about the same as the 1.4 - 1.5 TSI which has no battery and electric motor.

Maybe try Renault?

From the Clio E-Tech brochure:

Maximum torque (NM)- petrol engine: 144 @ 3200rpm, electric motor: 205

Not much progress there.

Excluding the smaller electric motor, that makes 349NM, or an extra 40% over the 250NM of the VAG 1.4 and 1.5TSI.

Also, Renault claim in an urban environment the Clio E-Tech can run up to 80% of the time on electric power alone. Supporting this, I watched a video clip of the Clio E-Tech being tested in a city environment, it managed 85.6mpg.

So no. not much progress at all!

You were spoilt bbd. In 1974 I had a 30hp Renault 4 with a theoretical 0-60 of 38 secs. I was living in your neck of the woods then and it got me from Aberdeen to Banchory of an evening as fast as the traffic allowed.

You sure about that catsdad?

I ask because when I first started getting into cars, the Citroen 2CV was still in production. It's stats were 29bhp and 0-60 in 32 seconds!

Also, back then it seemed most motoring journalists had owned a 2CV to learn the art of conserving momentum.

But the least powerful vehicle I've owned was a Suzuki ST90 panel van (predecessor to the Supercarry/Rascal), it mustered 38bhp. No idea how fast it was as the speedometer never worked during the time I had it, but it was certainly nippy in town.

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - catsdad

Bbd I am going from it’s age, engine size and three speed gear box but Google might be wrong on the figures. I do recall it cost £70 to buy and that I couldn’t afford a 2CV which had a lot more street cred amongst us wannabe hippies.

Bbd I am going from it’s age, engine size and three speed gear box but Google might be wrong on the figures. I do recall it cost £70 to buy and that I couldn’t afford a 2CV which had a lot more street cred amongst us wannabe hippies.

I remember a supplement in a motoring magazine about the most influential cars. The R4 was on it and was summed up something along the lines of, "The 2CV is for tourists, real French farmers drove a Renault 4"

At school in the Shetland Islands, one of the teachers had a 2CV and another had an R4. I didn't much like the one with the 2CV.

;-)

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Metropolis.
Ultimately a turbo is an unnecessary failure point on a petrol engine being used like a generator.
New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - paul 1963

All this talk of low powered cars once owned got me thinking and I think I may have won the lack of power game, back in the mists of time I had a Reliant Regal that according to Google had a measly 24bhp!

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - FP

At risk of sounding like a line from the "Three Yorkshiremen" sketch, I have to say that my first car, if you can call it that, was a Messerschmitt KR 200, which had a Sachs 197cc motorbike engine with an output of 10 bhp. As the common saying at the time went, it "couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding".

At risk of sounding like a line from the "Three Yorkshiremen" sketch, I have to say that my first car, if you can call it that, was a Messerschmitt KR 200, which had a Sachs 197cc motorbike engine with an output of 10 bhp. As the common saying at the time went, it "couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding".

Luxury!

In all seriousness, that's a pretty cool first car (in abstract)

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - paul 1963

Luxury!

In all seriousness, that's a pretty cool first car (in abstract)

b*****! That's me beaten! Don't suppose anyone's ever had a Peel P50?

Had a tyre shredding 4.5bhp.....

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - John F

Had a tyre shredding 4.5bhp.....

For overtaking on often wet UK 'A' roads nothing less than 400hp to all four wheels will do...;-))

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - mcb100
‘Is this a case of manufacturers ditching Turbos in favour of Hybrids?’

The new Renault Austral is 1.2 turbocharged 3 cylinder ICE linked to a full hybrid, so not necessarily the death knell for the turbocharger.
New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - daveyK_UK
I can only assume no one had the pleasure of driving a 2.3 diesel Nissan Serena

I have, albeit not for long, not fully laden and not outwith Aberdeen. But I have to say, (perhaps perversely) I did like it!. It struck me as something which would never get anywhere quickly, but would always reach its destination.

But just to point out, the Serena was available with a (67bhp) 2.0 diesel before getting the (74bhp) 2.3.

Not sure why the UK never got the 100bhp 2.0 turbo diesel version available (badged Largo) that was available in various other markets

I would have to assume that its top speed was rather higher than you might expect from 10bhp due to its extremely slippery shape though?

Agree with Adampr though, what a cool machine!

Messerschmitt KR 200: top speed was around 62 - 65 mph. Economy I seem to recall was about 60 - 70 mpg. (The fuel was two-stroke mixture.) But the tank was small and I used to carry a two-gallon can of fuel.

Messerschmitt KR 200: top speed was around 62 - 65 mph. Economy I seem to recall was about 60 - 70 mpg. (The fuel was two-stroke mixture.) But the tank was small and I used to carry a two-gallon can of fuel.

As I suspected, that is incredible for such a small power output!.

The (later) 2CV's had 200% more power but its top speed, at most, was only 13% higher.

"As I suspected, that is incredible for such a small power output!"

I suppose so. The fact that the seats were "in-line" meant that the frontal area was quite small and wind resistance kept to a minimum. Designed by an aircraft engineer, the body shape was streamlined. Weight was kept low by a pressed-steel shell with a simple welded tube frame to which were attached the front suspension and rear engine mounts. The body was extremely rigid.

The driving experience was rather alarming; your backside was very close to the road; the suspension was unforgiving and unsophisticated, coping badly with imperfections in the road surface; steering was with a handlebar that turned a maximum of 60º lock to lock, giving a direct feel with lots of feedback (too much!) . However, the long wheelbase made the thing directionally quite stable and the low centre of gravity meant it cornered well, with minimal roll, despite having only three wheels.

By the way, I see restored examples are now fetching in the region of £30,000!

P.S. Apologies to the mods and anyone else annoyed by thread drift. Maybe I should start a new thread entitled "Your first car" or some such.

Edited by FP on 08/05/2023 at 11:41

He popped to the shops in 1994 and hasn't arrived home yet.

New Civic and CRV - ditching Turbos? - Steveieb

I was issued with a diesel LR Defender when I was abroad limited to 40 mph because there had been so many written off due to speeding on desert roads, made worse by a severe bend near a overground fuel pipeline !

It was painful to drive .