What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - brambobb

My car has developed a very frustrating intermittent fault. When I put the key in the ignition and switch it to the on position I regularly see the Deflation Warning Light flashing and then pinging followed by pings for the City Brake Assist (CTBA), the VSA, and the ABS. These warning lights stay illuminated on the dash during that driving session but the car runs perfectly and all braking-related functions are fine This only seems to happen when the car has been driven and warmed up and rarely, if ever, when starting from cold at the start of the day. On some days it does not happen at all. Sometimes I can turn off and restart and everything is normal.

I took the car to a local auto electrician, who cleared a few fault codes (but without success) and in the end I took it to my local Honda dealer, who ran some diagnostics and cleared a few more codes. The service manager said that he was 90% certain that it was a faulty pressure sensor in the electronic box of tricks but that he was not allowed by Honda to start taking this apart and that the only solution was to replace the whole thing at a cost well north of £2000 plus labour. Without a 100% guarantee of success this is obviously out of the question,

Looking on the internet for similar issues some people suggest that it could be battery related (the car is still on its original battery) or possibly down to the alternator.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I am quite happy to carry on using it as it drives like a new car but there could be an issue with getting it through the MOT test later in the year.

Has anyone any ideas please?

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - elekie&a/c doctor
Modern cars with sophisticated electronic systems are super critical about steady and sustainable battery voltage. Problems usually occur from cold start where the battery takes a hit . Not sure if this is your problem, but if it’s the original battery, it may be worth eliminating it as a possible issue. Certainly a cheaper option at this stage.
Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - madf

12v battery.

Thanks for the advice.

I seem to have found a workaround at the moment. If the fault does occur it seems that if I drive a few yards, switch off, then restart, everything is normal. Even so I will take the car in to have the battery checked when I have time, although you would think that the main dealer would have done this as the first step in trying to identify the fault.

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - madf

Maybe loose battery terminals or corroded.

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - focussed

The body negative lead terminal from the battery where it is secured to the body is suspect on Civics.

There is what Honda call a "cutting washer" under the terminal tag where it bolts to the body straight on top of the paint, usually on the inside panel of the n/s wing, its maybe under the battery. It looks like a shakeproof washer on steroids. After it's done a couple of years in the winter salt it will be corroded.

I had the problem on our 8th generation FN3 Civic - remove tag bolt, emery cloth/scraper back to bright metal, same on the tag, back to bright metal, vaseline on the bright metal, don't use the washer, bolt up tight.

When I imported our new japanese built Accord from UK to france in June 2015 I did this mod the first week we had it - exactly the same components!

Thanks for that - really useful information. I will have a look at that as soon as possible.

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - elekie&a/c doctor
The shakeproof / corrugated washer is there for a reason . To stop the lead coming loose from the body . There’s nothing wrong with this set up . I’d leave it alone .
Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - focussed
The shakeproof / corrugated washer is there for a reason . To stop the lead coming loose from the body . There’s nothing wrong with this set up . I’d leave it alone .

Put the serrated washer under the bolt head if you must, but not between the terminal and the body metal.

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - Anthony jay
I’ve got the exact same problem with my 2017 vtec
Put a brand new battery on and still have the same problem:(
I’ve got the exact same problem with my 2017 vtec Put a brand new battery on and still have the same problem:(

If yours is the newer model you seem to have more flexibility to go into the settings and reset the system, based on a fix that someone demonstrated on a Youtube video. Whether the resolution was a permanent one though is perhaps another matter.

Unfortunately mine is the previous generation model and the problem still comes and goes. It seems to have become more regular since the weather has warmed up a bit and even happens now on the first startup in the morning. Best of luck in getting it resolved. If I can find someone who can sort it I will post again and let you know

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - Murat Allamani

Hi all. I had all lights coming on for months intermittent l. I reported it 3 times. Now they are giving me a complete new engin. I got the warranty extended. Nothing to pay

Honda Civic 2017 - Warning Lights Pinging on Startup - Murat Allamani

Engin management lights. They would go of when I switched on and off the car but one day it stayed on so I took it to main dealer and they Phineas me a few hours later saying that they will change the complete engine and I had nothing to pay. They have supplied me with a hire car that they will pay for. It's been nearly 2 weeks so far. Should get the car back in a few days. Perfect timing as I'm driving form London to South of France in June.