What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - gordonbennet

Whilst perusing these this one cropped up, a 2017 low mileage example at a low price.

The MOT history is er interesting, what there is of it.

What's going on here, don't worry i'm going to avoid like the plague but would like to know your thoughts.

Ebay number 175624876286

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - corax

26274 miles and partial service history. Mmm..

Sentences written with exclamation marks put me off straight away.

The area where it's parked looks lovely.

Have you checked the MOT history?

2017 regd, first MOT 2018, next MOT 2022.

Not interested in the car but would be interested to know whats going on here.

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - Adampr

Have you checked the MOT history?

2017 regd, first MOT 2018, next MOT 2022.

Not interested in the car but would be interested to know whats going on here.

Maybe written off, bought from the insurers, stored until they had some cash, repaired and now being sold.

Though, why would a 2017 car be MOTd in 2018? Maybe it's been written off twice!

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - Will deBeast

Though, why would a 2017 car be MOTd in 2018?

Probably a taxi.

Edited to add link. www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

Edited by Will deBeast on 27/02/2023 at 15:37

The HPI summary says 'advisory' next to Cat S/N. No idea what that means, but it seems all is not well.

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - Ian_SW

Given the type of car, the lack of interior photographs and that it's in base model white, it's fairly likely to have been a taxi. I think these have to be MOTd every year regardless of age so a 2017 car would have needed an MOT in 2018.

What it doesn't explain though is what it's been doing in the the 5 years since 2018. A 2017 taxi would have done 200k miles by now, if it was still running at all.

A possible explanation may be that it's spent an easy few years doing a few thousand miles per year in another country registered on a different plate, and now been re-registered back here with its original UK plate. However, why would anyone go to the bother of doing this on a mundane common car like this?

Yes i'd assumed a taxi, however an unusual taxi having only covered 9k miles in its first year, unless it spent 9 months of that year off the road following serious damage.

Goodness knows what the missing 4 years is about.

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - Lee Power

There's a new outstanding recall on it as well so it will need a visit to a Toyota main dealer.

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - sammy1

Car is a CAT S so probably been off the road for quite a while of being run illegally. Seller has little history on E bay and if you look at ""other items has other cheap cars.

Here is a tip for you to do a basic check on a car for free.

Go on Autotrader Sell your car put in car reg eg for this Toyota and mileage Follow all the way through the site will give you a selling price, continue and the site will give you all the details including the HPI status. Obviously go no further! You can often tell a car is a cat one because of the cheap price.

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - Mike H

We exported our Saab back in 2010, but when I type the registration number into the "check MOT" site it simply says that the MOT has expired with a dire warning of the penalties for driving without a valid MOT. There's no mention of the fact that the registration number is not currently assigned to a vehicle because it's been exported.

Toyota Auris Hybrid estate - what do you make of this - Mike Lyons

definitely one to avoid.

One red flag for me was the use of two different company names in the advert

Another is the low feedback for the seller. (only +2)

Seems to be a private trader without retail premises.