What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - focussed

OSLO. The listed Norwegian shipping company Havila has banned electric, hybrid and hydrogen cars from its ferries. After a risk analysis, it was concluded that the risk to the safety of the shipping fleet was too great. If a car catches fire, the fire can no longer be extinguished.

The risks for ships from the transport of electric cars have been discussed since the "Felicity Ace" sank off the Azores last February. E-vehicles on board had caught fire. The fire could not be extinguished. Finally, the huge ship sank with thousands of electric cars and Porsche or Bentley vehicles.

jungefreiheit.de/wirtschaft/2023/feuer-reederei-ve.../

Norway has a lot of electric cars!

What about eurotunnel? And cross channel ferries? :-(

Edited by focussed on 25/01/2023 at 22:34

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Adampr

It's somewhat by the by, but where you be trying to ship a car from Norway to?

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - expat

It's somewhat by the by, but where you be trying to ship a car from Norway to?

Denmark?

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - catsdad

Ferries within Norway are probably used to avoid long journeys following the heavily indented coast.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - bathtub tom

Ferries within Norway are probably used to avoid long journeys following the heavily indented coast.

Slarti made a beautiful job of designing it ;>)

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - sammy1

There goes my holiday to the I.O.W!

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Andrew-T

You'll just have to borrow or hire an ICE car ....

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Bolt

There goes my holiday to the I.O.W!

Maybe they will build the tunnel theyve been talking about ?

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - sammy1

I think I would rather take my chances swimming ashore than stuck in a tunnel blaze. Is it a privately funded tunnel ? The price of the ferries is very high considering the short distance

The price of the ferries is very high considering the short distance

Even if the crossing were only a mile, the overheads of running a ferry service must be significant. And where there is no alternative route, ....

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - HGV ~ P Valentine

lol If you start training now you could prob swim it if the car does not make it.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Bromptonaut

There's an explanation in English here:

ferryshippingnews.com/a-bold-decision-only-fossil-.../

Seems to relate to what is primarily a cruise route but which carries cars without any obligation to do so.

I'm pretty sure that the cross channel providers and coastal operators like Wightlink, Red Funnel and Caledonian MacBrayne will have done their own risk assessments relevant to their own vessels etc.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/01/2023 at 17:41

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - alan1302

There's an explanation in English here:

ferryshippingnews.com/a-bold-decision-only-fossil-.../

Seems to relate to what is primarily a cruise route but which carries cars without any obligation to do so.

I'm pretty sure that the cross channel providers and coastal operators like Wightlink, Red Funnel and Caledonian MacBrayne will have done their own risk assessments relevant to their own vessels etc.

Don't think they will have much choice with the amount coming through on to the roads and they won't want the lost revenue. Certainly an issue that needs some serious looking into though.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - HGV ~ P Valentine

Prob going to follow suit with the ferries, they are right, I have read a lot of reports about these cars bursting into flames, see article I posted earlier today.

The tunnel might get away with it but in a tunnel the fumes will kill you long before the fire, in the sea there is no place to run to.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Steveieb

Worth considering finding a safe location for storing your battery powered lawn mower as I heard that one caught fire whilst stored in an integral garage and caused a lot of damage.

These devices get a lot of knocking and abuse which can cause the lithium batteries to catch fire .

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Ethan Edwards

Why should a Norwegian ferry stopping carrying EVs be an issue? You can drive down the E6 from Norway to Anywhere you want. Sweden to Denmark Oresund bridge. Ferries are perhaps convenient but hardly irreplaceable.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - pd

Let's be realistic here, in the long term very few if any ferries or shipping lines will ban EVs because if they do they will soon be out of business.

About 20% of production from major manufacturers is already EVs so any major shippers who say no will also say goodbye to their contracts.

Let's be realistic here, in the long term very few if any ferries or shipping lines will ban EVs because if they do they will soon be out of business. About 20% of production from major manufacturers is already EVs so any major shippers who say no will also say goodbye to their contracts.

It may not be that simple. Perhaps shipping lines have some doubts about insuring their vessels. If they are mainly cargo lines, the threat of losing a few EV customers may be small.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - Engineer Andy

Let's be realistic here, in the long term very few if any ferries or shipping lines will ban EVs because if they do they will soon be out of business. About 20% of production from major manufacturers is already EVs so any major shippers who say no will also say goodbye to their contracts.

It may not be that simple. Perhaps shipping lines have some doubts about insuring their vessels. If they are mainly cargo lines, the threat of losing a few EV customers may be small.

What it may well do is significantly push the price of EVs up, because of huge increases in premiums to ship them (or batteries in significant quantities) around the world because of the possibility that just one EV car battery fire can cuase the whole ship to go down if other EVs are also on board. Similarly EV / PHEV owners could find they get charged big surcharges for ferry crossings or trips through toll-paid tunnels for similar reasons.

I suspect that new regs will have to be implemented to either restrict the numbers of EVs (or similar, inlcuing cars made of metal parts such as aluminium and magnesium) that can be carried on each container ship / ferry, plus changes to where they are stored in relation to vehicles of a similar type.

Hopefully someone wille eventually come up with a technical solution to resolve this, otherwise that 2030 deadline is increasingly looking daft.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 03/02/2023 at 13:08

A few EV customers?! You are talking about every major manufacture and many minor. Quite a few big household names will be EV only in the next 2 years.

I think far too few people realise ICE will be dropped by many in next 2 year because it simply isn't worth the investment to comply with Euro 7.

<< A few EV customers?! You are talking about every major manufacture and many minor. >>

PD, I think you may have missed my point. Ferries which carry mainly freight vehicles and a small proportion of cars may not worry about losing a few EV travellers ?

<< A few EV customers?! You are talking about every major manufacture and many minor. >>

PD, I think you may have missed my point. Ferries which carry mainly freight vehicles and a small proportion of cars may not worry about losing a few EV travellers ?

Ok, yes, I see the point there, some might not. By cargo I thought you were also referring to cargo car carriers who obviously have to carry EVs now as they are an ever increasing part of their customers products.

All those Chinese built Teslas and MGs don't get here any other way. :)

<< All those Chinese built Teslas and MGs don't get here any other way. :) >>

Quite so, but I wouldn't call a container ship a 'ferry' :-))

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - mcb100
And I wouldn’t call them a container ship either.
They’re vast decks, much like, oh, I don’t know, maybe a ferry? :).

Why should a Norwegian ferry stopping carrying EVs be an issue? You can drive down the E6 from Norway to Anywhere you want. Sweden to Denmark Oresund bridge.

Some Norwegian ferries travel to Scotland or the northeast - not so easy there.

Brittany Ferries who run between NW France, Spain and UK are asking on their booking form if a vehicle is a battery powered EV.

Maybe they load them on last near the stern ramp and if one goes on fire they open the stern door, lower the ramp and dump it into the sea, conditions permitting.

That would be the only practical way to save the ship and passengers.

Still go via Dover Calais. Not only are they NOT restricting EVs they provide chargers either end. Yes might add some inconvenience but it's not a show stopper

"Still go via Dover Calais. Not only are they NOT restricting EVs they provide chargers either end. Yes might add some inconvenience but it's not a show stopper"

I have no idea whether BF are restricting EV's in any way.

They are a reliable and well run ferry operation.

There is a lot of difference between a quick dash across the channel taking about an hour and being stuck on an overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo or Caen which nowadays takes 8 to 10 hours as the speed is reduced to save fuel.

I was referring to the Tunnel not BF. My point was Ferries are an irrelevance.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 03/02/2023 at 17:31

I was referring to the Tunnel not BF. My point was Ferries are an irrelevance.

Perhaps not irrelevant if several EVs on board spontaneously catch fire in hot conditions and lead to the sinking of the boat and loss of life...

Look I love urban myths as much as the next guy. But Petrol cars are at least LEAST ten times more likely to catch fire. Sure EVs when alight are more intense but it's you fossil jockeys who are the fire bugs

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/are-electric-car-fires-real.../

"Look I love urban myths as much as the next guy. But Petrol cars are at least LEAST ten times more likely to catch fire. Sure EVs when alight are more intense but it's you fossil jockeys who are the fire bugs"

The point you have ignored as a pluginprat is that an IC car fire can be extinguished on board a ship by the crew using their standard fire drill which they are trained in.

Disconnect battery - put fire out.

You can't put out an EV fire using normal firefighting drills.

"Look I love urban myths as much as the next guy. But Petrol cars are at least LEAST ten times more likely to catch fire. Sure EVs when alight are more intense but it's you fossil jockeys who are the fire bugs"

The point you have ignored as a pluginprat is that an IC car fire can be extinguished on board a ship by the crew using their standard fire drill which they are trained in.

Disconnect battery - put fire out.

You can't put out an EV fire using normal firefighting drills.

Exactly. Which is what I showed earlier and why that ship sunk in the Atlantic where the EV fire happened.

And the point you ignore is that A I acknowledged ev fires are more intense and B you fossil fans are at least ten times more likely to have a fire. Let that mull a bit. You accept a method of transport ten times more likely to have a fire.

And the point you ignore is that A I acknowledged ev fires are more intense and B you fossil fans are at least ten times more likely to have a fire. Let that mull a bit. You accept a method of transport ten times more likely to have a fire.

Ok - let's see some figures and references - prove it!

Ok - let's see some figures and references - prove it!

Plus there's the severity and consequences of the fires to the ship/ferry. As EV fires are far more diffiult to deal with, the risk of serious damage, injury/loss of life and of the vessel itself is far higher even if the risk of a fire breaking out is high-er in an ICE vehicle.

I'd also put good money on the likelihood of ICE car fires being mainly in high performance / super cars when road traffic accidents and vandalism causes are removed, thus EV fires are mainly due to poor design or build defects, especially in the battery proection/cooling systems or the batteries themselves.

The other factor in 'runaway' fires is, as we've discussed earlier, the use of certain highly reactive metals (noting that certain combinations of materials with aluminium and fire create thermite if I recall correctly) in the construction of cars - and most of them are used in higher spec cars to start with, so maybe they should be charged high insurance rates when travelling on ships and ferries, though whether they need to be as high as for EVs I don't know.

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/are-electric-car-fires-real.../

Unsurprisingly, the UK regulators have given the situation some thought....

www.gov.uk/government/publications/mgn-653-m-elect...s

View would seem to be that the risks are low and manageable.

As electric cars are new and plenty of folks are concerned about them assessing the risk of a EV catching fire needs rather more research than looking for reports one has caught fire...

Unsurprisingly, the UK regulators have given the situation some thought....

www.gov.uk/government/publications/mgn-653-m-elect...s

View would seem to be that the risks are low and manageable.

As electric cars are new and plenty of folks are concerned about them assessing the risk of a EV catching fire needs rather more research than looking for reports one has caught fire...

The gov document does include a lot of information, but ships and ferries cannot just be retrofitted with an array of new/extra sensors, cameras, venting and other safety equipment, plus different fire (heat) fighting gear and have newly trained staff on hand at the drop of a hat. And this all has to be paid for, as they pose a different technical threat to 'traditional' ICE vehicle fires.

It also appears to be rather vague about how to fight fires if they should pass certain thresholds of severity, especially as the staff may not be able to tell even with sensors or have sufficient time to determine what to do until its too late to make any meaningful difference.

One thing it doesn't mention is how to deal with EVs that have just been heavily used on a very hot sunny day and that are (recently) fully charged, e.g. a long trip to the coast to then go across on the ferry. A possible fault with the car's active battery cooling system might not be indicated (e.g. an error on the car) which then gets loaded onto the ferry. Would all EVs coming on board need to be inspected, and require a 'cooling down period' before coming on board?

My other concern is that this guideance seems to rely on the passive cooling EV battery systems employ when they are off, which as the EV fire that lead to the sinking of that container ship shows, wasn't sufficient to stop the fire.

As such fires are self-sustaining (the report say self-sufficient - an odd choice?), the biggest problem to me seems to stem from the number of EVs on board and their proximity to eachother, which if was 100% would be a serious problem. Most of the measures suggest are really to help stop/lessen secondary non EV battery fires, as they won't do much (if anything) to stop a battery fire once it has taken hold.

As yet, there isn't any reasonable way to put out Li-Ion fires, thus significant measures would seem to be required to stop them from starting in the first place, especially if all cars on board (or enough to cause the vessel to sink one way of the other). That is some tall order and seemingly prohibitively expensive for this shipping company.

Sometimes the overall risk score (probability of occurrance and consequences) are just too high to warrant much mitigation, thus it may come to it that some firms will either put (really) big premiums on EVs to be carried in order to meet safety rules and regs, stipluate they only carry a small number at any one time or just refuse to carry them at all.

Like a lot of issues with new tech over the last few decades, not enough research has been put into the safety side before it has been rolled out to the masses.

Like a lot of issues with new tech over the last few decades, not enough research has been put into the safety side before it has been rolled out to the masses.

So how long would you suggest testing of batteries or tech before releasing to the public

there are too many scenarios to be able to test everything for a long period and the one that causes a fire may not occur for years after a release.

some battery fires including mobile phones have been put down to letting its charge deplete further than it was designed, circuits designed to prevent it happening do not always do the job, including on EVs, this is why the r&d for solid state batteries is taking longer than expected as testing hasn`t always proved a battery won`t ignite under certain conditions.

EV owners are more concerned at being able to say they are saving the planet than think how bad EV batteries can be... they defend them to the ridiculous...

From the UK government Marine Accident Investigation Branch via North Marine Insurance ltd for the last 15 years up to 2017.

Classification of Fire on ferries carrying vehicles. and number of reports to MAIB.

Fire in vehicle cab 6

Electrical fire on vehicle 9

Electrical fire on reefer 12 (Refrigerated container)

Fire on reefer (other cause) 2

Vehicle engine fire 5

Other cause 4

Total 38

file:///C:/Users/barns/Downloads/Ro-Ro-fires-LP-Briefing.pdf.pdf

But -

The growth in popularity of electric vehicles has led to cars, scooters, bikes and motorbikes setting alight, with a total of 735 call-outs across 29 fire and rescue services across Britain since 2017.

cesafety.co.uk/news/data-reveals-extent-of-electri...M

Some Norwegian ferries travel to Scotland or the northeast - not so easy there.

The line mentioned earlier does not serve Scotland.

So far as I can see it's business is coastal cruising in competition with Hurtigruten.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 06/02/2023 at 09:28

<< The line mentioned earlier does not serve Scotland. So far as I can see its business is coastal cruising in competition with Hurtigruten. >>

So its business may not involve carrying many EVs ?

It gets stranger in that their car car carrying capacity is the grand total of nine cars, but the ships have what the company describes as ‘the world’s largest battery packs’ and are capable of four hours cruising on electric power only.
So a large EV (ship), doesn’t allow small EV’s on board.
n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - badbusdriver

Speaking to my (bus driver) mate the other night he was telling me about how Stagecoach now have around 30 electric buses based in Aberdeen. Also about how at some point one night the power went off at the Aberdeen depot, meaning most of these buses did not have enough charge to do their first 'stint' of the day. But what surprised me most was that nobody knew about it till the depot was opened up in the early hours of the morning.

Presumably this means there is no member of staff (security guard, night watchman or whatever) on hand to keep an eye on things and either deal with any problem or inform someone else who can. Now I'm not convinced that EV's are more likely to catch fire, (and am aware of plenty cases where an ICE bus has caught fire!). But, it does strike me as a being a bad idea to have all those electric buses, presumably parked next to each other, under no supervision.

If one went up in flames, I'm guessing it would take the rest along too!.

I was in Aberdeen recently - don’t they also have fuel cell hydrogen buses?
I think we also need to differentiate between a fire in an EV - faulty low voltage wiring or a dropped cigarette in a smoker’s car, which is no more difficult to deal with than any other conflagration, and a battery instigated fire.
The batteries themselves are tough things and manufactured to be fire resistant.

Edited by mcb100 on 06/02/2023 at 11:38

If one went up in flames, I'm guessing it would take the rest along too!.

It would anyway as the batteries get so hot so quickly no one would be able to stop them, when they die down they are usually put into large tanks for days to extinguish or cool the batteries down

iirc Tesla now use a fireproof foam which surrounds the batteries to stop the spread of fire not seen how good it is, but said to be effective

iirc Tesla now use a fireproof foam which surrounds the batteries to stop the spread of fire not seen how good it is, but said to be effective

Most attempts to extinguish fires try to exclude oxygen, which is how everyday CO2 extinguishers work. Reactive metals like lithium, or magnesium and aluminium if initiated, may be reacting with something else, which is why normal methods may not work, or even make things worse.

Another cause of fire for EV's is salt water flooding but after the flooding has dried out.

One area of concern is EVs that have been flooded by salt water. According to the NHTSA, residual salt within the battery or battery components can form conductive “bridges” that can lead to short circuit and self-heating of the battery, resulting in fires. The time frame in which a damaged battery can ignite has been observed to vary widely, from days to weeks.

www.usfa.fema.gov/blog/ig-102022.html

If a fossil fuelled car is flooded in salt water it too will probably be (a) a fire risk due electrics and (b) a write off.

If a fossil fuelled car is flooded in salt water it too will probably be (a) a fire risk due electrics and (b) a write off.

You missed the point of the article I linked to, that EV's that have been flooded with salt water can be a delayed action firebomb that can't be defused by disconnecting the battery, because the battery is the problem at some later time.

Any non- ev vehicle can be made safe by disconnecting the battery.

They are both going to be write offs - agreed.

n/a - Norway shipping line bans electric cars. - RT

You missed the point of the article I linked to, that EV's that have been flooded with salt water can be a delayed action firebomb that can't be defused by disconnecting the battery, because the battery is the problem at some later time.

Any non- ev vehicle can be made safe by disconnecting the battery.

They are both going to be write offs - agreed.

On board ships, the fire-fighting equipment is likely to use sea water - making it even harder to put out a EV fire.

It gets stranger in that their car car carrying capacity is the grand total of nine cars, but the ships have what the company describes as ‘the world’s largest battery packs’ and are capable of four hours cruising on electric power only. So a large EV (ship), doesn’t allow small EV’s on board.

I'd hazard a guess that their risk assessment process simply said that with space for only 9 vehicles, possibly in locations where EVes are rare as hens teeth, providing for them was too difficult.

Norway has a lot of electric cars.

How are they spread around the country.?

Are they mostly in the urban bits rather than up the West and north coasts?