What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Kadjar to Honda Civic - Exchanging cars privately not via car dealers etc. - Simon Appleby

G'day

I am in the process of exchanging my car with my son in laws car.

My car is registered in my daughters name as my credit rating is poor. I have private plates which I need to remove. My son in law cat is in his name which he will give to me as he'll take mine.

I am confused what to do to get this over the line so to speak. Can anyone please help what to do so this can be done. Also I don't know how yo apply for car tax.

A list would be great and much appreciated. Sorry to so think but I never done anything like this before. No cash involved just a swap of vehicles as I can't afford the repayments on thr car I currently own as I have unfortunately been made jobless.

Thank you in advance.

Renault Kadjar to Honda Civic - Exchanging cars privately not via car dealers etc. - RichardW

Appears that 'your' car is registered in your Daughter's name (and at her address?), so finance is also in her name / paid from her account? In which case nothing to do there. How is it insured? You might have to change over the policy, at least you will need to advise them of change of plates. If not reg at her address then on-line change of address for the V5.

For S-I-L's car, can be done on-line, register the change of keeper, then you can tax it (and he will get refund for remaining tax). You can also apply on-line to transfer the plate from your car to his, which will trigger a new V5 for your car. Change over the insurance and away you go.

Make sure you only use the official DVLA website and don't pay any fees - anyone charging is just a postbox and charging a fee for no reason.

www.gov.uk/change-address-v5c

www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbe...f

Renault Kadjar to Honda Civic - Exchanging cars privately not via car dealers etc. - Simon Appleby

Thank you your information.

Yes everything is in her name address. The money comes from her account. I insure the car and private plate in my name and address.

Kind regards

Renault Kadjar to Honda Civic - Exchanging cars privately not via car dealers etc. - RT

Thank you your information.

Yes everything is in her name address. The money comes from her account. I insure the car and private plate in my name and address.

Kind regards

Private plates don't belong to anyone except DVLA - the registered keeper of the car has control of putting the number on retention or transferring it to another car.