What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - DieselMan1966

My Fabia has now come out of the 2 years free dealer service deal I had with the deal, As I've had the vehicle from new and I am thinking about keeping it for another 3 - 4 years so it will need another 3 services.

This has the 1 litre TSI unit with 95PS engine, does this unit have a cam belt? I'm thinking this will ideally be replaced at 5 years and does the DSG transmission need a service as well, If so at what mileage

Thanks in advance

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - Adampr

It has a cambelt and the recommended interval is 50,000 miles.or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Personally, I think changing a cambelt after 5 years regardless of mileage is absurd, but...

I think all Skoda DSGs below 2 litre are 'dry' so don't need an oil service. Those that do are every four years / 40,000 miles.

This is about the only decent reference for service intervals I have managed to find:

www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2021_04/11...g

Edited by Adampr on 08/01/2023 at 22:26

Thanks for the reply and advice
Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - expat

It has a cambelt and the recommended interval is 50,000 miles.or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Personally, I think changing a cambelt after 5 years regardless of mileage is absurd, but...

I believe that tyres are supposed to be changed after about 5 years as they go hard and crack. Cambelts are made of similar material although they don't get the UV that tyres get.

5 years old seems to be an expensive age for a car.

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - skidpan

I think all Skoda DSGs below 2 litre are 'dry' so don't need an oil service.

"Dry" only refers to the clutch type, the gearbox still has oil in it. Do they need an oil change? many different opinions on that.

But with regards to changing oil in a traditional gearbox its long been said that its not necessary. The Ford Type 9 in my Caterham was last fitted in February 2009 and filled (newly rebuilt) with the correct spec oil, Comma GL4 semi Synthetic, critical for the brass syncros. In the past the engine/gearbox has never been in the car longer than 4 years (out at least once a year when it was used on the track) and always had fresh oil after it had been refitted (no option, the old oil always runs out of the box because of the angle you have to lift it out). So by 2021 it had been in 12 years and the gearchange, especially from 1st to 2nd, had become stiff with the syncro on occasions graunching. There is a drain plug on this casing (drilled and tapped it myself to avoid mess when removing) but had never used used it so went and bought a couple of litres of Comma and did a quick change. The improvement was incredible, like a new box. Still a bit noisy due to the semi helical gears but nothing you can do about that.

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - badbusdriver

I believe that tyres are supposed to be changed after about 5 years as they go hard and crack. Cambelts are made of similar material although they don't get the UV that tyres get.

Depends on where you look though. When doing some research for another thread, more than once I came upon the fact that a tyre can be sold as new up to 5 years from the production date.

But very easy to determine if the tyre is becoming overly dry through a visual inspection, so that is the best thing to do. Also, if where your car is parked means it often gets sun on one side only, don't always park facing the same way!.

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - Engineer Andy

I think all Skoda DSGs below 2 litre are 'dry' so don't need an oil service.

"Dry" only refers to the clutch type, the gearbox still has oil in it. Do they need an oil change? many different opinions on that.

But with regards to changing oil in a traditional gearbox its long been said that its not necessary. The Ford Type 9 in my Caterham was last fitted in February 2009 and filled (newly rebuilt) with the correct spec oil, Comma GL4 semi Synthetic, critical for the brass syncros. In the past the engine/gearbox has never been in the car longer than 4 years (out at least once a year when it was used on the track) and always had fresh oil after it had been refitted (no option, the old oil always runs out of the box because of the angle you have to lift it out). So by 2021 it had been in 12 years and the gearchange, especially from 1st to 2nd, had become stiff with the syncro on occasions graunching. There is a drain plug on this casing (drilled and tapped it myself to avoid mess when removing) but had never used used it so went and bought a couple of litres of Comma and did a quick change. The improvement was incredible, like a new box. Still a bit noisy due to the semi helical gears but nothing you can do about that.

I would say that it very much depends on how the car has been used throughout its life - easier to determine if the OP is the only owner, almost impossible if they aren't.

If they (or any previous owners) use it for mainly urban driving or work that includes mainly lots of stops/starts in heavy traffic, regular towing (unlikely in this case) or lots of hill starts (especially things like reversing up a steep driveway), then the clutch pack and oil would likely be in far less good condition than someone who predominantly uses the car on free-flowing roads. Essentially the same as someone with a standard manual gearbox transmission.

As I recall, like with manual gearboxes, dual clutch ones normally give signs that they are beginning to wear (and/or the oil degrade), such as less slick gearchanges and pullaways from a standing start.

Whether the OP feels their circumstances warrant their dry clutch to have its oil changed out is down to them - they alone know their car. It also depends upon how long they expect to keep the car - 3 more years may be ok, then it may not be if those usage circumstances aren't in their favour.

Do they feel lucky?

Edited by Engineer Andy on 09/01/2023 at 13:55

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - John F

It has a cambelt and the recommended interval is 50,000 miles.or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

Is that the recommendation from a UK garage man or from the VW engineers? I do not think that any modern cambelt driven engine would need such precautionary maintenance.

I believe that tyres are supposed to be changed after about 5 years as they go hard and crack.

Not so soon. Even buses are allowed tyres up to ten years old - car tyres can be any age as long as they pass the MoT, or are on a historic vehicle.

Cambelts are made of similar material

That's a bit like saying the metal in my cheap old rarely used socket set is made of similar material to that in a professional mechanic's set used daily. A modern original equipment cambelt should be robust enough to last the life of the engine, unless something it drives seizes or the manufacturer gets it wrong (e.g. Peugeot's puretech engine). Our last century Passat's cambelt had done over 240,000 miles when we sold it and its replacement Focus was scrapped at 21yrs and over 160,000 miles - original belts. I think possibly more engine damage has been done by cautious owners having their original cambelts replaced with something made of 'similar material' than if they had left well alone.

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - Xileno

"unless something it drives seizes...."

That's the key point. I have no doubt that a decent quality OE belt will last a very long time but what about the device that tensions it? On my Focus the waterpump is the tensioner, there is no way you can be completely confident about the condition of the pump without stripping down and taking the tension off the pump to 'feel' the bearing. If one is going to all that effort which involves disturbing the belt then may as well just put a new belt on IMO.

"unless something it drives seizes...."

That's the key point. I have no doubt that a decent quality OE belt will last a very long time but what about the device that tensions it? On my Focus the waterpump is the tensioner, there is no way you can be completely confident about the condition of the pump without stripping down and taking the tension off the pump to 'feel' the bearing.....

Really? I thought you had the 1.6 Zetec. Did they change the design from the Mk1 Focus where the cambelt only drives cam sprockets and a tensioner pulley? The Poly v belt drives the water pump. (They lasted the life of the car too).

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - Xileno

Yes I think you're right. I'm getting confused with my VWs where the waterpump tensioned the belt.

It has a cambelt and the recommended interval is 50,000 miles.or 5 years, whichever is sooner.

Is that the recommendation from a UK garage man or from the VW engineers? I do not think that any modern cambelt driven engine would need such precautionary maintenance.

That's the recommendation from Skoda UK. Weirdly, it's not the same recommendation as on the continent.

A cynic might suggest that it is a money-making scheme. Not least as cambelt changes on the ACT engines can only be carried out by VAG garages for the best part of £1,000.

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - lordwoody

My 5 year old 1.5 Golf is having a new cam belt from the main dealer at the February service, the cost is £640. My local independent quoted me £720. So nowhere near £1000.

Has it got ACT? I heard only yesterday of someone with a Skoda Karoq being quoted £927.

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - Andrew-T

<< A cynic might suggest that it is a money-making scheme. Not least as cambelt changes on the ACT engines can only be carried out by VAG garages for the best part of £1,000. >>

As a consequence of which, any owner who bothers to ask the cost of a belt change may well decide against it ? So perhaps not such a good scheme ?

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - elekie&a/c doctor
The cambelt replacement on these VW engines is an expensive job , as it needs diagnostic kit to set it up accurately. The water pump is not driven by the main cambelt, but by an auxiliary belt at the back of the engine . As for the Focus set up , the cambelt does not drive the water pump , but on later models , from around 2006 , there is a pulley that is part of the cambelt drive system that is mounted to the pump aluminium housing .

Thanks for all the comments, the majority of use is commuting around 10 miles 2 - 3 days per week, benefits of hybrid working

A couple of years ago I was looking at a Tiguan with a DSG box and was told they needed a service every 4 years, as this was a 2.0 Diesel and was informed it has a torque converter, not the twin clutch, which I thought was strange, so I walked away.

From all the comments, I will most probably look to change the car towards the end of the year or no later than September of 2024, before the MOT and more service costs, put the money towards a cheap 4x4 with a timing chain!

I'm a believer in regular servicing to keep the lubricants fresh in both the engine and transmission, on the higher mileage cars, even dropping molysip into the gearbox when I done the clutch on a diesel 309 at 175,000 miles, engine finally gave way at 275,000, gone are the days of fortnightly travels from Northumberland to Lincolnshire

Skoda Fabia 2020 Monte Carlo DSG - Service Intervals - FiestaOwner

"It has a cambelt and the recommended interval is 50,000 miles.or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Personally, I think changing a cambelt after 5 years regardless of mileage is absurd, but..."

My 2019 Seat Ibiza also has the 1.0 TSI engine. When I enquired at my SEAT dealer about when the cambelt needed changing, I was advised at 5 years old. When I asked about the mileage, I was told no mileage interval was specified, just every 5 years.

"It has a cambelt and the recommended interval is 50,000 miles.or 5 years, whichever is sooner. Personally, I think changing a cambelt after 5 years regardless of mileage is absurd, but..."

My 2019 Seat Ibiza also has the 1.0 TSI engine. When I enquired at my SEAT dealer about when the cambelt needed changing, I was advised at 5 years old. When I asked about the mileage, I was told no mileage interval was specified, just every 5 years.

That also seems absurd. What is the scientific thinking to justify that advice? There is much debate on VW forums about this. I side with the opinion that this is specifically UK 'workshop filler' advice, gratefully supported by belt manufacturers and suppliers. Anyway, it looks to be a delicate job easy to get wrong so I'd choose the mechanic carefully.

www.gatestechzone.com/en/news/2018-08-timing-belt-...g