What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - Mmarsh1972

Hi all

I want to replace my 2012 Honda Jazz, great car but too small and needs more pep in the engine. Something I have talked here before but COVID, rising costs, the global economic crisis delayed my plans. I mainly drive around suburbia/commute to work with occasional long distance trips every school Holidays (and its here where I think my Jazz lacks).

I am an American Single father with a 8-year old girl living together in France.

My Requirements:

1. SUV - Either subcompact or compact (thats the question).

2. Hybrid

3. Need space for lots of stuff to haul around. Suitcases, Bikes, kid seat/with kid and the occasional grandparent. So it needs sufficent cargo space and comfort.

4. Must have decent maneuverability as I live in a old town area with lots of narrow streets, turns. If it turns like a bus, its not going to work.

I struggle with the size SUV I really need.

For example is the upcoming Toyota Corolla Cross a good investment or should I consider the larger RAV4? Honda HRV or CRV? Niro or Sportage?

Budget wise - I could either go with a new subcompact or a used compact. Over 35K is probably pushing my budget. I don't care that its used (but it should be recent) I need the best value I can get.

Again, the question really is what SIZE best fits my needs, not so much which brand/model.

What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - Adampr

I know you don't want a particular brand or model, but a Honda HR-V might suit. Pretty small, but very flexible interior. Only you can really know how big a vehicle you need...

What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - _

Suzuki vitara or S-cross both hybrid now.

What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - John F

I would have a French car in France. We have a Peugeot 2008 1.2 Puretech 130 EAT6. Excellent around town, surprisingly relaxed on motorways. The 130 is a peppy little number - would seem to fit your requirements. Ditch the hybrid idea.

Edited by John F on 25/09/2022 at 05:02

What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - badbusdriver

The fact that essentially the same question has been posed on occasion by the OP going back 3 or 4 years, maybe more, suggests that a new car is not actually needed.

As Adampr points out, the OP is the only person who knows how much interior space he needs and knows how much of an increase in size he can get away with (re narrow streets and old towns). So rather than asking folk who don't know, wouldn't going to dealers and looking at various models, taking test drives etc be a better idea?.

What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - _

The fact that essentially the same question has been posed on occasion by the OP going back 3 or 4 years, maybe more, suggests that a new car is not actually needed.

As Adampr points out, the OP is the only person who knows how much interior space he needs and knows how much of an increase in size he can get away with (re narrow streets and old towns). So rather than asking folk who don't know, wouldn't going to dealers and looking at various models, taking test drives etc be a better idea?.

\DITTO, same questions repeated and refuted.

Edited by _ORB_ on 25/09/2022 at 08:20

I was asking if there was a rule of thumb or some other unit of measure, because you are wrong I really DONT know how much car I need especially as I plan for the future.

What I have is too small, the mid-size SUV is too large. I am a single parent with a child with an increasing amount of "stuff" to haul around. If you have kids you'll know what I mean.

Now it might make sense to buy the biggest car I can, but that might not be the wisest decision financially to make. Thats why I tread very slowly and cautiously (as well as the poor car market at the moment).

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 28/09/2022 at 11:03

That's another brand on the shortlist.

I was actually thinking the 3008, the Hybrid is a must for me as the French government is really starting to crack-down on conventional cars, hence no 2008.

The problem with Peugeot is that they are competitively priced with Toyotas and Honda, even more expensive on the higher trims. Would you get a French car for the same/more expensive price as a Japanese? Not sure I would...

Like I said, its the size. I am hoping to know if there is any way to measure how much car one needs, do I go one size up or two?

Funny you mention that because I did look a long time at the HRV. The problem is that it still suffers from one of my main complaints about the Jazz...lack of power. I want something with more pep.

The US has been singing the praises of the Toyota Corolla Cross which will be arriving soon in Europe..so I am waiting to see how that compares if I am NOT going for a bigger RAV4, CR-V, Peugoet 3008 etc.

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 28/09/2022 at 11:05

What Size car do I need: Subcompact or compact - Ian_SW

If you think the HRV has a lack of power, that would probably knock all the Totota Hybrids off the list as well.

The HRV, like the Toyota Corolla, CHR, Yaris Cross etc. uses a CVT transmission. This means that revs match demand rather than the speed of the car. This gives an impression if the car not accelerating when it actually is because the engine note doesn't change. Also, as it revs first before increasing speed, many drivers instinctively back off at that point. They aren't actually that slow but if you don't like the way it operates, the only alternative is to buy something else.

The Kia Niro is a hybrid with a conventional auto gearbox (a DCT, but one which works fairly well and seems to have a better reputation for reliability than VWs equivalent), so that would be worth considering. Given you're in France, I'd also include the current Renault Captur in the shortlist. The original one was pretty rubbish, but I was pleasantly surprised by the new version when one turned up for me as a hire car. In both cases though the hybrid isn't quite as seamless as the Toyota and Honda systems when switching in the petrol engine - but that's the trade off for not having a CVT transmission on the petrol engine.

It's worth noting that cars like the Captur and Niro don't really offer any more load space than a typical mid sized hatchback (Astra, Focus etc.), but the cabin space feels bigger because of the more vertical sides and higher roof. If you want carrying capacity, you need to step up to the next size up of SUV (Rav4 etc.) or buy an estate car