What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - 22 and busy - Alby Back
My son and his girlfriend are big into mountain biking, paddle boarding, open water swimming, canyoning, kayaking etc.
Every spare moment they have they are away somewhere remote doing something of that order.
This week they’ve been up in the Lake District doing all of that.
As some of you know, he has a 9 year old Aygo which he likes but even with a roof rack it’s a bit overwhelmed by his needs.
He really needs something that can cope with transporting more kit, and is a bit more suitable for regular longer journeys.
Now, his income is variable, he’s starting to get quite good pay days from his music, but still has to supplement that with part time bar work. Therefore at the moment he’s not feeling like borrowing or leasing due to the uncertainty of his income stream.
What he wants to do is spend about 5 or 6 grand all up on a cash purchase.
His main criteria include -
Loadspace
Roof load space
Sensible fuel economy
Sensible insurance costs
A reasonable level of reliability
Capable of getting a bit muddy (but to be fair anything with the “right” tyres will cope)
Not too tall, getting things on and off the roofs of tall cars is a pain.
Comfortable enough for long journeys.
£5k ish

Then there’s another complication, he’s promised to teach his GF to drive. They can’t afford a second vehicle, so whatever he has will be the learner car.

So, I’m steering him towards things like old Focus/Astra estates and the like, maybe even an Astra van as there’s usually only the two of them in it. Octavia estate maybe, a Ceed estate perhaps?

Any other thoughts from the assembly?

Other than the bank of dad stumping up again!
;-)
N/A - 22 and busy - _

My suggestion.. Kia soul or cousins Venga or ix20.

Venga TARDIS like. We had 5 adults and bags to airports at one time.

Edited by _ORB_ on 17/09/2022 at 15:52

Both good shouts ORB. Height might be an issue, possibly.
N/A - 22 and busy - badbusdriver

For the budget, I think you'd struggle to better a Focus estate, possibly a Mondeo estate depending on insurance (I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between a 1.8 Mondeo and a 1.6 Focus).

Nowt wrong with either Octavia or Astra as long as troublesome engines are avoided.

The van may sound like a good idea, but it can be tricky insuring a van as a car. Even if you can it will likely cost more than an equivalent estate (and that is before factoring in a new driver).

Ok thanks BBD, that’s useful to know about van insurance. I agree about the Mondeo idea, great all rounder car. Might be just a bit big for the GF to learn on I suppose, but maybe not.
N/A - 22 and busy - Bromptonaut
Might be just a bit big for the GF to learn on I suppose, but maybe not.

FWIW my daughter, although having professional lessons, did a lot of practice on my then Xantia Estate. Included a week in the Western Isles where she did pretty much all the driving - single track and all.

Later drove it lots including taking it up to her boyfriend's Uni gaff in Southampton.

She's only just 5 foot but had no issues.

Aye true enough Bromp, I learned in my dad’s Volvo 240. That seemed like a huge car back then but probably wasn’t by today’s standards. Never really thought about it at the time.
N/A - 22 and busy - _

Venga is not all that high.,

N/A - 22 and busy - Adampr

This is where I always pop up and say Seat Toledo. Massive boot, cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure. The interior is made of some kind of ultra hard plastic....

I'm planning to sell mine soonish (this is not a pitch) and am expecting about £4k; 2013, 62,000 miles, full Seat history.

Sorry if this is a silly question Adam, but is there such a thing as a Toledo estate? I’ve seen Leon estates I think.

There are Leon estates, and there used to be Ibiza estates, but no Toledo estate. The Skoda Rapid, which is the same car, also comes as a 'spaceback', which is a squared off hatch not far off an estate.

Thanks Adam!

This one even has the roof bars already. Mind you, it also says 'private seller' but has those funny bits of paper in the footwell....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205165741706?a...3

Spidey senses twitching at that one
Well, a Venga might be fine, certainly worth checking out ORB.
Actually, it’s also almost certainly a moveable feast anyway, he says he wants a low roofed car, and as someone who also uses a roof rack, I tend to agree, but he also admits to coveting his mother’s Jeep Renegade!
Won’t get one of those for his budget though!
I can kind of see where this is potentially going, and it might be that mother dear is going to have quite a bit of use of an old Aygo… ;-)

What are the “best” engines on old Foci?

Edited by Alby Back on 17/09/2022 at 17:14

N/A - 22 and busy - _

Venga height 160 cm

Just over 10cm taller than a Focus then? Doesn’t sound a lot I suppose, but it might make a difference.
He’d have to check it out.
N/A - 22 and busy - focussed

The original 1.6 petrol designed by Mama Yamaha.

Not particularly economical but reliable if it's had any semblance of being regularly serviced.

That Yamaha1.6 rings a bell. Thanks
N/A - 22 and busy - dan86

The original 1.6 petrol designed by Mama Yamaha.

Not particularly economical but reliable if it's had any semblance of being regularly serviced.

The 1.6 Yamaha engine is a good engine because ford didn't design it

N/A - 22 and busy - corax

As great as Mondeo estates are, the petrols won't be particularly economical. The 2.0 diesel is a good engine, but with the budget chosen, you'd have to be careful that it wasn't ready for a new DMF/clutch or even a new set of injectors which can cost £800+.

As mentioned, Focus, Ceed, Astra are all good choices. I looked at Peugeot 308 SW's briefly, which all had high mileage for the budget, and not sure how they stand up to that, although the load space is good for the class.

It's not the best time to be buying, but if needs must...

Thanks Corax.
308s are very roomy I believe.
N/A - 22 and busy - Xileno

The MK2 Focus has 1.6. 1.8 and 2.0. There's also a 2.5 for those in a hurry and deep pockets for fuel. The 1.8 is the sweet spot, a nice chain-cam Mazda unit. But the budget will stretch into MK3 territory and that's where it gets more complex as the Ecoboost became the popular engine, certainly early 1.0 ones are not recommended on this forum.

So a 1.8 should be fairly near the top of the list by the sounds of that?

Sounds like it’d cope with loads too. Especially ones that create wind resistance.

Edited by Alby Back on 17/09/2022 at 17:34

Ok so here goes!
I’m going to have a nosey on AT. I’ll filter it for Estate, £5.5k, petrol, manual, 50 mile radius of south Cheshire, low insurance groups, high mpgs and see what pops up.

If anyone else is bored and wants to join in, feel free!
;-)
N/A - 22 and busy - Xileno

It will be no ball of fire but should be adequate particularly if he's used to an Aygo.

Yes indeed Xileno, I have to remind myself where he’s starting from!

This may not suit(!) but there is a very nice looking (in relative terms) Skoda Fun in eBay at the moment.

Depending on your son's willingness to be pointed at, it could be perfect. I have always wanted one....

Actually, I think he’d love that Adam. Might be wrong, but…

My other slightly left field suggestion would be van-based MPVs like a Citroen Berlingo. I think the Fiat Qubo comes in a 'trekking' version with raised ride height and bits of plastic. My friends who live up a mountain in Spain have Renault Kangoo 4x4s and love them.

I suppose you could also look at things like a Suzuki Grand Vitara or an old-school Rav 4.

The other thing about a Berlingo or similar is that there is a burgeoning 'micro-camper' scene around them, which might suit his adventures.

I used to have a Mitsubishi Delica - a massive 4x4 people carrier that I took the seats out of and used as a van, then 'converted' to a camper.

Edited by Adampr on 17/09/2022 at 18:06

Well now, the camper thing. He has said that they could do more trips if he could find a way of getting costs down. Something they could sleep in with a tent for other kit…hmmm

Edited by Alby Back on 17/09/2022 at 18:21

Re the Rapid/Toledo vs the Rapid Spaceback, be aware that while the Spaceback may look a bit like an estate, it isn't particularly big aft of the rear seats. Boot volume is well down on the Rapid/Toledo (415 litres vs 550 litres) thanks to being 18cm shorter.

Ok thanks BBD
“He” quite likes Panda 4x4s. I’ve pointed out that they wouldn’t give him enough of a usefulness upgrade from where he is but he likes them.
Come to think, his mother and I had similar adventures in a mk1 Panda decades ago. Skiing trips to Switzerland with less than no money and so on…

This is ideal - just wheel the bikes or flight cases right in.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202208309267458?a...3

A less stupid suggestion would be a Skoda Roomster. I believe the rear seats can be removed entirely to make it a van. If you can find a 'scout' model, it's a bit more ruggedised.

Tall though eh?
Lifting bikes, kayaks, paddle boards etc on and off that?
Maybe ok

And, they’re both 22 and a bit trendy. Not that they can afford to be !

I know I said a van might not be a good idea (though this being a classic, insurance for private use shouldn't pose a problem), and I know this is a fair whack over budget, but how cool is this Renault 4 van?!

There is also a Renault 4 hatchback though, only a little over budget,

Both super cool BBD. But probably not where he needs to be.

Kids these days. They don't even know what cool looks like....

I had forgotten the low roof bit.

I was thinking an astravan was probably as good as it got, but most of those will be diesel. How about a small estate, like the aforementioned Ibiza, a Fabia, Clio or even Peugeot 206SW?

All of those would be better than where he is now. For his current needs and usage anyway.

A Subaru Impreza may also work. Obviously not a WRX....

Hadn’t considered a Scoob, but might be worth a look.

Not at all cool, but a Dacia Logan MCV could be had for £5k. The n/a 1.2 petrol won't win any races, but is fairly reliable and should prove cheap to run. Massive boot too!.

There's also the 1.5DCI, which is pretty good as far diesels go and would be very frugal. Might be worth considering?

Not at all cool, but a Dacia Logan MCV could be had for £5k. The n/a 1.2 petrol won't win any races, but is fairly reliable and should prove cheap to run. Massive boot too!.

There's also the 1.5DCI, which is pretty good as far diesels go and would be very frugal. Might be worth considering?

Funny you should mention that, I think I just answered the brief!

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207147791355?a...3

Could be perfect, if a bit of a hard sell.

Maybe you could suggest a wrap?.

On a white Logan MCV, maybe a winter camo? (of course it could be done themselves with paint if they were so inclined). Something like this:

e625f4c5f8678224d2d4df8bd659c994.jpg

Tee hee!
You might be on to something there!

Isn't the 0.9TCE supposed to be bit fragile though?

Isn't the 0.9TCE supposed to be bit fragile though?

I've not heard that specifically. I mean, any tiny engine that relies on a turbo and is dragging that much car around is going to be under a bit of stress, but I don't think the Renault one is any worse than all the others.

For all the original criteria, a mid sized estate ticks all the boxes.

Honda Civic tourer 1.8 petrol would be ideal apart being too expensive. I can't see them appealing to the average 22 year old. If of course he is average :-)

Anything but corax !
;-)

What kind of music does he play? That will give us more of a steer on his tastes...

Techno pop. Gigging tonight actually in Manchester. Sings, composes, writes lyrics, plays keyboards, bass, guitar, drums and has a 1:1 degree in music production. Oh and another 1:1 in Psychology. And he’s better on a mountain bike than I ever was.
Bit of an irritating kid in some (many) ways. ;-)

Edited by Alby Back on 17/09/2022 at 21:13

Well, nobody likes a smartass. It sounds like he has bright future, one way or the other

Well, he’s enjoying life for now. I’m happy about that. It really is too short not to eh?

He also sounds like he might like a Vauxhall Signum, if you can find a good one. They (especially the ones with the tan leather interior) have got a bit of retro synth thing going on.

I used to have a Signum. Had a fridge in the back I randomly remember. 2.2 petrol. Dodgy fuel pump.

Fridge in the back is important!

Yeah, it was where you’d normally find a centre arm rest. Perfect for your packed lunch on a long trip I suppose. Never gelled with that car for some reason. Only kept it about 8 months. On paper it was the ideal car for me at the time, but sometimes they just don’t fit with you.
N/A - 22 and busy - expat

As great as Mondeo estates are, the petrols won't be particularly economical.

Fuel is a regular expense which can be budgeted for. With old vehicles breakdowns are the largest expense and can happen any time. Buy on condition and don't worry about fuel consumption. Don't even think about diesels.

Just a thought but you could probably sleep in a Mondeo estate which might be something your son might want to do on a weekend outing in the hills.

N/A - 22 and busy - Clk GD

A Mazda6 estate (petrol, of course) might be a good choice. Bags of space, reliable, smart looking motor.

Close examination of the rear wheel arches on older models is advisable.

Those Mazdas are good looking cars. Good suggestion, thanks.
N/A - 22 and busy - John F

I'm a bit late with my two penn'orth - only to echo the suggestion of a Focus Estate.

Reasons - 1. Design of rear suspension affords excellent load space. 2. Cheap to service (they don't need much), repair and insure. 3. We had a Mk1 for 18 of its 21yr life; served us well as a family dogsbody.

As said, go for the bombproof 1.6 Zetec engine. Apart from a new coil pack and fuel pump, both after well over 100,000 miles, it went to the crusher at 162,000 with its original cambelt, poly-v belt, exhaust, coolant, and all its other ancillaries. Despite my earlier preventive efforts, rust, compounded by over two years of filial neglect, was its nemesis.

Ok thanks, good to know. Have to say, the Mondeos I had of that era were pretty bombproof too.
Just stumbled on this not too far away…

Volvo V50 R design - 2009 - FSH - 78,000 - 1.8 manual - £4995

Ok it’s white but you can’t have everything eh?

Focus-ish isn’t it?

Cool-ish too in a way?

Thoughts?

Edited by Alby Back on 18/09/2022 at 10:50

Sounds ideal to me. Worth checking insurance group I suppose? Volvos are still perceived as boring amongst people around 40, but I suspect the younger generation have never known that and see them like 'we' see Audis.

Yes, insurance might be a thing.

The V50 is a Focus underneath, so with the same petrol engines (1.6, 1.8 and 2.0) just as reliable. But going against Volvo's traditional USP, the boot isn't that big for an estate (417 litres), certainly smaller than a Focus estate of that age.

As to whether your son would like it?, who knows. I remember going through some cars with my eldest (24, had license for a year now, but no car so far). He didn't like the look of cars I thought he would, and liked cars I thought he wouldn't!. But one of the cars i showed him was the Volvo C30, which is the 3 door hatchback/coupe version of the S40/V50. He liked the front and liked the interior, but thought the rear end ugly!.

Just stumbled on this not too far away… Volvo V50 R design - 2009 - FSH - 78,000 - 1.8 manual - £4995 Ok it’s white but you can’t have everything eh? Focus-ish isn’t it? Cool-ish too in a way? Thoughts?

The good thing about them if you're interested is that the front passenger seat tips forward and flat to take long loads right up to the dashboard if I'm not mistaken.

I think that both 1.8/2.0 engines are Mazda derived so chain cam and reliable.

Some owners opinions -

www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=129702

If you really want reliable, low cost motoring with lots of load space you can't beat an Avensis estate 1.8 petrol. 45+ mpg on a run. But I suppose there is time for that when he is older :-)

He'll want something with reasonable economy I would imagine, because the areas he is going to are hilly, narrow and winding like Cumbria, demanding on a car. Or large distances between locations in Scotland, especially if he is going to Assynt or somewhere in the Highlands. I should think that he would have been spoilt with the frugality of the Aygo.

Edited by corax on 18/09/2022 at 11:53

That is certainly a good point corax. The little Aygo sips fuel and costs not much to insure and maintain. He’d have to get his head around higher costs of tyres, tax, insurance and maintenance.

If he could live with the height (in return for better ground clearance I suppose) he might just about be able to get into an early Duster, he does enough long runs to just about get away with a diesel too.

He needs something for sure. They’re looking at getting into the Alps next spring.

Ah, well going back to BBD's earlier post, one of the most popular cars among the alpine French is.....the Renault 4. As I understand it, the ligh tweight makes it very good coping with slippery roads and the narrow tyres are great at penetrating the snow for grip.

It sure a Renault 4 would be a good idea, but a Duster could work - similar light weight thing and can be easily serviced in France. I didn't suggest it just because of the height.

It is a consideration, on the occasions we’ve used the Renegade as bike transport it is a bit of a faff getting them on and off the racks. Not insurmountable of course, an upturned crate makes a useful step.
Like I mentioned upthread, his mother and I used our mk1 Panda for such trips back in medieval times.
My old E Class estate (with mud and snow tyres in winter) turns out to be a near perfect solution as an “adventure” platform but he’s no where near to affording, or indeed affording to run even a well worn but useable one of those!
Oddly enough for a young guy, he quite gets Dusters. So do I actually, as I do less work and have more free time, such a thing starts to appeal. I kind of get the pragmatism.
N/A - 22 and busy - primus 1

How about Toyota avensis/ Corolla estate?, or, if you can find one an urban cruiser

Certainly have a soft spot for Toyota Primus. He’s had two Aygos which between them saw him through the past 5 years with no trouble (until he wrote the first one off) :-(

Re getting bikes on and off the roof, do they have to go there?. With an estate, or indeed something like a Duster, surely they'd go inside (front wheel removed if necessary)?. Even if they couldn't, or you didn't want to because of the mess, couldn't they go on a tailgate or towbar mounted bike rack?. Not only would this be much easier to get them on or off, having them there would presumably be better for the economy.

Yes that’s true BBD. It’s more about how dirty they get for putting inside really. A tow bar mounted rack would work too of course. Paddle boards and kayaks would still need to go “upstairs” though.

He could just move nearer the Lake District…problem solved??

That has some merit I guess!
But a bit more radical than looking for a cheap estate though. ;-)

Would have the advantage of being somewhere for the “olds” to visit unnecessarily often I suppose.

Funnily enough we have sniffed around buying a cabin in the Scottish highlands in the past. Maybe one day. South of France appeals more temperatures wise these days!

Edited by Alby Back on 18/09/2022 at 13:30

N/A - 22 and busy - Heidfirst

Having had a quick look it looks like all the Auris estates will be above budget but there are some 1.8 Avensis estates in budget ranging from late T25s to early T27s.

Having had a quick look it looks like all the Auris estates will be above budget but there are some 1.8 Avensis estates in budget ranging from late T25s to early T27s.

I don't think Toyota made much of an effort with the interior packaging of the Auris estate. The space isn't great with the seats down - the suspension towers intrude.

I think your son needs to make a list of which cars appeal and to go and have a look at some, he will get a better idea of what would suit his needs

Yes Primus, that would of course be the correct procedure. The chances of it happening however, are at best, limited.

He will be relying on his father's magic wand to make things happen. My wife is a practicing artist, and he is a practicing musician. Anyone who lives with people like that will know what they are like when it comes to dealing with real life problems… :-(

But, I’m sort of at peace with it I suppose.
Thanks corax and Heidfirst

Edited by Alby Back on 18/09/2022 at 18:57

Another option I guess, would to just get cleverer about the usage of the three cars we have. My son and his GF live with us for now, and between us we have an E Class estate that I use mostly, a Jeep Renegade that “she” uses mostly and an Aygo that “they” use mostly.

Sometimes I could manage fine with any of those, as could my wife or my son. Maybe inertia might work if we got the current three drivers insured on everything, and got the learner insured on the Aygo.

The Merc and the Jeep would cope with our various hobbies and the Toyota would be ideal as a learner car. We’d just have to get used to allocating them appropriately as required.
N/A - 22 and busy - expat
he does enough long runs to just about get away with a diesel too.

His usage may suit a diesel but what about the previous owners usage? There is no way of knowing if the DPF is on its last legs or if the car has been misfueled at some point. Too risky.

Yes, fair point expat. I guess that risk could be mitigated a bit by choosing a “younger” car with big miles over an older one with low mileage. Provided service history etc stacked up on the former and on the assumption that it had seen regular long distance usage.
But your point is well made and taken.