What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - John F

In order to avoid parking charges, inconvenient public transport and expensive long distance taxi, we found someone to take us to and collect from Heathrow T2-3 long stay using our car. Is it best/cheapest for them to arrange insurance with their company; us to arrange it with ours, or do it a third way, e.g. RAC day insurance? Any advice from anyone with experience of doing this much appreciated.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - badbusdriver

A few years ago, my mother in law looked into adding my wife on to her car insurance for a day in order to do something similar. What she found was that adding my wife on for the day did cost, I don't remember exactly how much (think it was around £25), but adding my wife as a named driver incurred no charge!.

So I'd enquire about adding this person as a 'permanent' named driver, it may not cost you anything assuming no previous driving related naughtiness.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - daveyjp
As above. If the neighbour has a good driving record and of mature years get a quote for adding them to your insurance as an additional driver.

Some online insurers allow you to do the change free of charge and you just pay the difference in premium (crazy as it sounds you may even get money back!)
Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Adampr

Can't they just drive your car on their insurance?

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - FP

"Can't they just drive your car on their insurance?"

It is a common myth that this is currently always possible. (It used to be the case that a comprehensive insurance policy would normally cover driving someone else's car.)

The other person's insurance would have to specifically include this. Even if it does, cover may be third-party only, which could result in a lot of trouble if there's an accident.

Edited by FP on 28/08/2022 at 18:15

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - RT

"Can't they just drive your car on their insurance?"

It is a common myth that this is currently always possible. (It used to be the case that a comprehensive insurance policy would normally cover driving someone else's car.)

The other person's insurance would have to specifically include this. Even if it does, cover may be third-party only, which could result in a lot of trouble if there's an accident.

AFAIK driving other cars is always restricted to third party.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Andrew-T

I thought some policies offered cover for driving another's car with their permission ? But it is certainly not a standard arrangement.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - 72 dudes

I thought some policies offered cover for driving another's car with their permission ? But it is certainly not a standard arrangement.

Some do, but as RT said, it will only cover for third party.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Adampr

I know it would be third party only. I just thought John F preferred a more modest vehicle where this may not be a concern.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Falkirk Bairn

My LV Comp policy allows me to drive for example a son's car - the car itself must be covered by an insurance policy - cover is 3rd party only.

However, not all insurers and even with insurers who have DOC this does not apply to all age groups - example young policy holders are unlikely to have DOC on the insurance Certificate.

My LV Policy gives me Comprehensive Insurance on loan cars whilst my car is in a garage/ body shop being fixed (IIRC 5 days limit)

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - badbusdriver

I know it would be third party only. I just thought John F preferred a more modest vehicle where this may not be a concern.

An Audi A8 (W12 I think) or a Peugeot 2008 around 3 years old?.

There is also the TR7 but with 2 seats and limited luggage space, probably won't be that ;-)

Thanks to all for advice. SWMBO very reasonably insists on comprehensive as her car is on paper the most valuable of our fleet. (Or perhaps that should be horde. Or hoard?) Also, for a 160mile round trip x 2, at 20mpg the flagrantly immodest W12 AYE is holidaying in the garage!

Edited by John F on 29/08/2022 at 11:44

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Chris M

I appreciate John F that you'd like to save c£75 for ice creams while you are away, but what's the point in owning a nice car if you won't use it for it was designed for, i.e. carting Sir to and from the airport?

I appreciate John F that you'd like to save c£75 for ice creams while you are away, but what's the point in owning a nice car if you won't use it for it was designed for, i.e. carting Sir to and from the airport?

That's exactly what probably the best sport quattro Audi ever made is NOT designed for! You are probably thinking of its softly suspended lazily high geared A8L cousin. On a smooth motorway at a steady modest speed our little Pug 2008 is just as comfortable - although admittedly slightly noisier. Also, I'm reluctant to let our young driver loose on it.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Engineer Andy

In order to avoid parking charges, inconvenient public transport and expensive long distance taxi, we found someone to take us to and collect from Heathrow T2-3 long stay using our car. Is it best/cheapest for them to arrange insurance with their company; us to arrange it with ours, or do it a third way, e.g. RAC day insurance? Any advice from anyone with experience of doing this much appreciated.

As an alternative, would it not make sense for the other party to drive you in their car, and you just pay for the fuel, any short term parking (drop-off, etc) charges they incur on the day and something towards a meal out / their time?

Or maybe just hire a (diesel) car for the day, if they can return it to save the extra day/a full weekend (assuming the trip is on a Saturday).

It might come in cheaper than using your car? I suppose it may depend on how far the drive is!

Edited by Engineer Andy on 28/08/2022 at 20:42

As an alternative, would it not make sense for the other party to drive you in their car, and you just pay for the fuel, any short term parking (drop-off, etc) charges they incur on the day and something towards a meal out / their time?

Or maybe just hire a (diesel) car for the day, if they can return it to save the extra day/a full weekend (assuming the trip is on a Saturday).

It might come in cheaper than using your car? I suppose it may depend on how far the drive is!

Also depends on what kind of car they have, might be a Smart Fortwo :-)

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Engineer Andy

Also depends on what kind of car they have, might be a Smart Fortwo :-)

I hadn't thought of that - quite right! :-)

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Smileyman

Hope you factored in drop off charges at the airport, its a new way to raise funds many airport operators use these days

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - paul 1963

Hope you factored in drop off charges at the airport, its a new way to raise funds many airport operators use these days

Last time I picked up my son and later dropped him off at Gatwick I parked in the long stay car park ( free for 3 hours) and he got the free bus to and from the terminal, think the charge at the drop off point was something like £10?? which frankly is disgusting..

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - corax

Last time I picked up my son and later dropped him off at Gatwick I parked in the long stay car park ( free for 3 hours) and he got the free bus to and from the terminal, think the charge at the drop off point was something like £10?? which frankly is disgusting..

Yes, but people will be prepared to spend high amounts to go on holiday, so the operators are laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by corax on 29/08/2022 at 13:54

Drop off at Heathrow is £5. Pick up is via short stay parking. Starts at about £5 for 15 minutes I think up to an hour is £11ish.

Drop off/pick up at long stay is free for 30mins. Free bus to/from terminal. For pick up there are streets a few miles away where your man can park up for free. Call him when you get on the bus and the ride home will be waiting for you when you arrive.

Edited by Chris M on 29/08/2022 at 14:49

Drop off/pick up at long stay is free for 30mins. Free bus to/from terminal.

Yes - and care must be taken not to exceed this otherwise presumably the penalty is extortionate.

For pick up there are streets a few miles away where your man can park up for free. Call him when you get on the bus and the ride home will be waiting for you when you arrive.

I found a Tesco 2miles to the south of the car park on Dukes Green Avenue - which, considering its location, must be a multiple oxym****.....

I think the charge at the drop off point was something like £10?? which frankly is disgusting..

Yes, but people will be prepared to spend high amounts to go on holiday, so the operators are laughing all the way to the bank.

I don't think 'disgusting' describes it - it is simple extortion. Maybe you have to see it as an entry fee to a private property, not a simple parking charge (one might even be able to drop off a passenger and their luggage without actually stopping ...).

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - corax

I don't think 'disgusting' describes it - it is simple extortion. Maybe you have to see it as an entry fee to a private property, not a simple parking charge (one might even be able to drop off a passenger and their luggage without actually stopping ...).

In theory you could throw your luggage out of the open door, and sort of roll out across the pavement without the car actually stopping, but you would of course risk injury before you've even commenced your holiday, and the barrier would stop the driver on the way out (even at drop off). Occasionally when I've dropped people off at Stansted, the barrier system has been faulty with queues waiting to be let out by very weary looking operatives. You'd think that they could use some of those piles of cash to keep the barrier system working properly.

I don't consider it disgusting or extortion. There's the free option or you pay for the deluxe option. Up to you.

Drop off at Heathrow is ANPR and pay online. No barrier. Same as Congestion charge or Dartford toll. Airport operators want to discourage cars entering the airport and I guess from a security perspective, it helps.

I don't consider it disgusting or extortion. There's the free option or you pay for the deluxe option. Up to you.

I think many airports are just taking a leaf out of RyanAir's book - take it or leave it, and most people have little choice.

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - movilogo

Best solution depends on below factors

1. Distance of the journey.(coach travel may be cheaper)
  2. Number of passengers (x fare, if using public transport)
  3. Duration of the holiday (to calculate savings against airport parking)
  4. Availability of alternate transport (friend dropping off / picking up)
  5. Overall convenience (cheapest route may not be best)

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - Grenache

It's called 'two-part pricing' and becoming very common:

Expensive airline ticket - advertise the basic seat price and add-on baggage, seat choice, refershments on-board etc.

Inkjet printer - discount the basic printer and charge champagne prices for the ink

And did I read somewhere about BMW charging extra to enable the heated seats?

Insuring a friend/neighbour - driving our car to airport and back - movilogo

Inkjet printer - discount the basic printer and charge champagne prices for the ink

Hence I moved to laser printer. Overall cheaper than inkjet printers. Though my printing need is mostly monochrome.