What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The open road - Andrew-T

Back yesterday from a round trip from Cheshire to Cardiff, Friday to Sunday. Southwards via Welshpool / Newtown, then hill roads for more enjoyable driving in the heat. Trip back northwards, leaving 4:30 via A465 and A49, a route I have driven intermittently since 1967. Several stretches have been modernised (Pontypool, Abergavenny, Leominster, Ludlow bypasses) but much of it is as it was. Yesterday was like the 1970s - hardly any traffic, no holdups whatever. Pity about the heat, which had turned everything greenish-brown, but temp fell slowly from 34° when we started to 26° when we got back at 8pm.

Almost like the old days ...

The open road - craig-pd130

It's for this reason that I get over the border to Wales on my motorbike as often as I can: the roads are fantastic, the scenery is stunning and there's so much less traffic.

Of course, there's still the occasional logjam around tourist spots during the holiday season (Betws-y-Coed, Llanberis, some coastal resorts) but those are easily avoided.