What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric car battery - cyberfruits

Hi just wondering, if one buys a car that says that is rated to be able to do 200 miles on a full charge, how many miles does the battery lose when you got the heating on all the time, say for example on the equivalent setting of medium hot in a diesel car? Is there a way to have heating without using the main battery?

Electric car battery - Terry W

For ICE heating is effectively no cost as it would otherwise be lost through the radiator. EV batteries may need to be cooled and generate some surplus heat - but possibly not enough!

An alternative calculation - a typical EV uses ~300W per mile. Over an hour the distance travelled may be (say) 40 miles. Total electrical consumption would be 12KWh. A one bar (1KW) electric fire would probably produce enough heat for the interior of a car in the UK where the temperature rarely falls below freezing in most places.

Air con (the converse to heating) can apparently reduce mpg by up to 10%.

As energy is energy and and the two above estimates suggest an efficiency loss of 5-10%, I would estimate your 200m range would fall to 180-190.

Of equal importance may be that as temperatures fall charging times become extended and due to chemical processes the battery capacity effective falls. This may reduce range by a further 10-15% in very cold conditions.

Electric car battery - cyberfruits

For ICE heating is effectively no cost as it would otherwise be lost through the radiator. EV batteries may need to be cooled and generate some surplus heat - but possibly not enough!

An alternative calculation - a typical EV uses ~300W per mile. Over an hour the distance travelled may be (say) 40 miles. Total electrical consumption would be 12KWh. A one bar (1KW) electric fire would probably produce enough heat for the interior of a car in the UK where the temperature rarely falls below freezing in most places.

Air con (the converse to heating) can apparently reduce mpg by up to 10%.

As energy is energy and and the two above estimates suggest an efficiency loss of 5-10%, I would estimate your 200m range would fall to 180-190.

Of equal importance may be that as temperatures fall charging times become extended and due to chemical processes the battery capacity effective falls. This may reduce range by a further 10-15% in very cold conditions.

The 180 miles could be acceptable, but That is what I was worried about, we live 60 miles from the hospital, the nearest large town with large shops and we are in our 60's with health conditions which get worse in damp or cold conditions, hear now with heated wave our average temperature is 15 degree with an occasional spike of 20 Celsius, so would need to keep heating on, but round trip is already 120 miles so long way of for us then to be able to get an electric car if heater would use to much.

Electric car battery - strowger

The heater will consume range for sure. It will consume a LOT of range if you require the cabin really hot - many EV users get in to the habit of using heated seats instead to some extent, as they are a lot more economical.

Cold weather saps efficiency in lots of ways other than heating though. Cold batteries are less efficient, cold tyres and motors use more power. The worst use case of all is "repeatedly do short trips in car requiring it to be heated from cold and then left to go cold again".

My "220 mile" Tesla, which would do that in summer at keeping-up-with-traffic speeds, struggled to get 160 miles in winter. EV owners often have rose-tinted spectacles about the real-world capability of their car.

Electric car battery - mcb100
A heat pump on an EV will lessen electric load from the battery, taking surplus heat from the battery to provide cabin warmth.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/under-skin-h...s
Electric car battery - Adampr

I have a Corsa-e, theoretical range 209 miles.

I frequently drive from home to my work HQ, 65 miles each way, almost all at 70mph on the M5 with the heating/aircon set to 20.

In the depths of winter. I get home with about 20 miles displayed range left (so total range of 150 miles). In the summer, it's more like 40 miles left (so 170 total).

Range improves greatly at lower speeds so, staying on the right side of the law, this is about as bad as it gets.

So, I would say that your maximum driving distance on a single charge needs to be below 75% of the WTLP range.

That said, do bear in mind that most EVs will charge a decent amount in half an hour. The 8 hour figures you tend to see are empty to full on a home (7kw) charger. Faster public chargers when your battery is not empty and you don't need it full can be used for a quick top-up.

Electric car battery - Brit_in_Germany

If you have an electric car plugged into your own wall-box charger, you should be able to pre-condition the car's temeprature using the mains electricity rather than the battery. The battery drain once you are underway will then be less than if it were having to heat the car from cold.

Our Zoe has this and it is lovely to get into a nice warm car in winter.

Electric car battery - Crickleymal

That's a nice feature. A definite plus for EVs

Electric car battery - RT

That's a nice feature. A definite plus for EVs

The equivalent is available on many IC premium models, usually as an option in the UK but standard in colder climates - my VW Touareg has a remote-controlled diesel-powered cabin heater which works well, seems to improve overall fuel consumption.

Edited by RT on 13/08/2022 at 13:49

Electric car battery - mcb100
Have a look here -
www.peugeot.co.uk/electric-and-hybrid/drive-electr...l
It’s Peugeot's real world range calculator for E-208 and E-2008 and shows, amongst other things the tiny drop in range from having heater or AC switched on.

Edited by mcb100 on 13/08/2022 at 16:15

Electric car battery - Ethan Edwards

Probably just as accurate as the Range Guess o meter in EVs themselves. The consensus on our EV forum is ignore the GOM. Watch the battery % meter. That's accurate. So if your EV has a advertised 200m range for every 10% you should be getting 20miles. If your only getting 15 then you know that your real range will be 150. Like ICE cars keep the speed down, don't do harsh acceleration and you can even improve on 20m per 10%. But a quick 10 mins on a high powered charger can boost you 30 40%. Home charge costs well I just got onto a tarriff with a window of 4.5p per kw per night. So really cheap to run but requires a bit more forward planning than using ICE. Imo it only works for me as I have a home charger and a garage. If you don't have those it might not work as well for you.