What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Private Plate query - Matt@

Hi everyone, I have a private plate query which is a bit complicated, hoping someone with knowledge will be able to offer some insight!

I bought a car in 2018 with its original 15 plate reg plate

In May 2019 I bought a private plate and transferred it to my car and got the reg doc back from DVLA showing the new plate

In August 2020 I bought another private plate for this same car and transferred it to the car and got the reg doc back from DVLA showing this new private plate

Unfortunately I omitted to place the 1st private plate on retention and just carried on as normal being told by someone if I ever removed the 2nd private plate, the car would revert back to the previous reg plate ie the 1st private plate.

I have enquired this week to DVLA asking how I can get my 1st private plate back and she said I have no ownership of it and its "floating" so I cant have it back ( Im ok about that, its annoying but its my fault and it wasnt worth much anyway.)

However, after doing some digging on google I have noticed this plate ( the one I have lost ownership of) was put up for sale mid last year and is currently assigned to a live vehicle.

My question - how on earth could that floating plate fall into someone elses ownership between when I took it off and mid last year? Is there a voided number plate register or something available from the DVLA? I am confused!

Private Plate query - John F

I think a car with a 'private plate' will revert to its original registration plate when the pp is renounced. I bought my Audi with a pp on it which the previous owner wanted to keep, so it reverted to its original 55 plate. Your first pp will probably have gone back to the stock of plates available for purchase from the DVLA......

dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

........and someone has apparently bought it.

Private Plate query - Ethan Edwards

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 12/08/2022 at 09:39

Private Plate query - Matt@

thanks John, I cant quite work out how people can access a low value plate when it becomes void, we are talking about retail value £99 so assume DVLA wouldnt bother putting them up for sale

Private Plate query - Brit_in_Germany

There's a good one for a male teacher coming up in the next auction, WOW 51R.

dvlaauction.co.uk/auction/B249/

Private Plate query - Ethan Edwards

Wowser that's an well known Australian slang term for Killjoy, an out there puritanical spoilsport. Just saying....not a larrikin myself.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 18/08/2022 at 14:41