What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus - Epb - elekie&a/c doctor
Technology strikes again . www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1650017/Handbrak...p
Focus - Epb - craig-pd130

Oops - that must be a write off after being submerged to that depth.

I'm not a fan of EPBs but my last 3 cars all had them, and I never had a single problem with the EPB not engaging / letting go / sticking on. Our driveway has around a 1 in 12 slope down to the road too.

Focus - Epb - Ian_SW

I'm not a particular fan of EPBs, but I suspect it could be user error rather than a failure.

I've a feeling that the Focus is one of a few cars which doesn't automatically apply the brake when you switch the ignition off. This nearly caught me out once when in a hire car once (think that was in a Focus but I may have remembered the car wrong). Fortunately I always leave the car in gear so all that happened was a lurch as I took my foot off the brake, but if I'd been in neutral would have probably rolled into the car parked in front.

It's very easy to get used to just turning the engine off and getting out for any car that automatically applies the brake, which is fine until you drive a car which doesn't apply the parking brake automatically.....

Focus - Epb - daveyjp

Agree, human error has lead to handbrakes not being applied since they were invented.

EPB doesn't mean drivers will always apply it.

Focus - Epb - Steveieb

And the second story involves the President of the AA s wife’s Lexus stolen from their drive even though the key had been placed in a faraday pouch.

So it’s back to a steering lock and fifties technology for Edmund King.

Can some one provide a link for the story in all the papers please ?

Focus - Epb - Ian_SW

The article about the Lexus theft is in the Daily Mail.

Having read it, he clearly doesn't know how the system works, claiming that the theives must have intercepted the signal when the car was locked at 6pm, and came back later to steal it. It will have been stolen by the standard "relay theft" where if the key can be woken up by boosting the signal if it's left near a door or window of the house. They won't have needed to be there earlier in the day.

The bit about now storing the keys in a locked red metal box in the microwave sounds daft too - surely less hassle to permanently disable keyless entry in the settings on the car if they are that worried about it happening again.

Interestingly my car (which will use the same Toyota security systems as the Lexus) didn't come with full keyless entry - you have to press the button to lock/unlock, which I'm quite glad of. There is a note in the manual which indicates that this is specific to UK market cars, with those elsewhere still provided with keyless entry.

I wonder if this means that relay theft is a UK specific problem, or perhaps insurance companies are finally waking up and threatening to up the insurance groups of cars with keyless entry.

Focus - Epb - Engineer Andy

Rather a whoopsie from Mr King, given his position.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/08/2022 at 15:39

Focus - Epb - John F

" ...a faulty electronic handbrake caused the vehicle to roll." Hm. I wonder.....

Focus - Epb - primus 1

Reminds me of when I used to have an alfasud, my in laws used to live in a house with a steep drive, one day I’d parked up and definitely remember putting the ( manual) handbrake on, I came out to find the car on the front garden of one of the neighbours, of course everyone was accusing me of not applying the handbrake but I was convinced I had, funnily, I received a recall notice that could affect certain cars due to a fault with the handbrake, strangely, mine wasn’t affected??, mind you, the dealer was an old curmudgeon who regarded his customers as an inconvenience..

Focus - Epb - Xileno

My Dad had one of those in the 1970s. I think the handbrake worked on the front disks and what could happen was if the handbrake was applied only just sufficiently when the disks were hot, then as they cooled then the contraction could be just enough to let go. I think some Citroens used to suffer the same. Early BX maybe? Leaving the car in gear was a way around the problem.

Focus - Epb - FP

I don't have EPB, but I do leave the car in gear when parked as well as applying the handbrake. I thought that was standard good practice.

Focus - Epb - galileo

I don't have EPB, but I do leave the car in gear when parked as well as applying the handbrake. I thought that was standard good practice.

Rule 252, Highway code

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should:

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly
  • select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
  • select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
  • use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.
Focus - Epb - Steveieb

Honda had a problem with the ratchet mechanism of the handbrake lever when they shifted production from a Birmingham sub contractor to a Spanish one.

After a few incidents they quickly reinstituted the UK supplier contract and replaced the faulty levers !