What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - 43576

I want to ask a two question, When I go on holiday to Tuscany, Italy two times per year to visit my family, when I am there they let me a Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel 2004 to drive round, so I don’t have to hire a rental a car. I love the car!

Now my Uncle, his licence has been revoked because of his bad eyes sight. He said he wants me to have the car for free if I wish.

Now the question is if I import to UK using Eurostar train or ferry would I need documents to entry in UK?, I will have to notification the DVLA. What about car insurance? I don’t think they have type of Lancia Thesis on their database as not been sold in UK before? What about the road tax, would it be base on emission road tax or a special tax?

thanks

Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - badbusdriver

Not sure about documents or the DVLA. On paper you will ned to pay import tax (since Brexit) on a car under 30 years old. This would be 20% of the purchase price, but as you will be getting the car for free, not sure how that would work.

Insurance is no problem, there are plenty of people driving cars in the UK that were never sold here. Look at insurers of the type advertising in classic/American/kit car magazines (or Auto Italia in your case).

The tax would be based on its emissions and age, same as a UK car. The figures I have say 199g/km which would be £346.50 if paying by direct debt over 12 months, £330 if a single payment.

If you do decide to get the car, I'd strongly suggest joining a Lancia club. It will be an invaluable resource for advice, spare parts, etc

Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - Brit_in_Germany

These government links are a good place to start:

www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/getting-...l

in particular the need for a GB coversion IVA. I imagine the speedometer will only display km/h so this will have to be looked at (possibly with a stick on with mph markings.). Try talking to insurance brokers in advance.

Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - SLO76
Certainly doable, the chap I bought my old Toyota from has an imported LHD Lancia Thema Estate. I do like old Italian cars even though I know I shouldn’t. A Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema or Alfa 164 or 156 appeal very much, they had spirit even if the quality wasn’t a match for rivals.
Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - Metropolis.
That’s a very nice car, certainly according to CAR magazine.
Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - 43576

Thanks for the all info from you. Much appreciate!

Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - Warning

I wanted to buy a left hand drive car for touring Europe. The insurance for UK roads was expensive.Conversion may be required. Your odometer will be in KM, causing an issue at MOT times, which are in miles....

May be just leave it there are a holiday car? Or insure in Italy for use in UK roads.

Lancia Thesis 2.4 diesel - Import car to UK from Italy - Terry W

Why not just leave it in Italy with your uncle to use on your visits. You can cover the costs for him or possibly transfer the car into your name if this is possible under Italian law.

There is potentially quite a lot of hassle to bring back a 17 year old car (probably not worth very much) - import duties, tax, conversion, insurance for LHD etc.