What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SUV - Next car. PCP vs loan vs finance. Diesel vs petrol - py_6294

Hi all

We are awaiting our new arrival in November and would like to up our car size. I'm not a car expert or enthusiast by any means, I have been looking at some SUVs tiguan/mg hs/seat 19-20 plate, max 30000 miles, around 20-25k cost.

I've always been of the opinion that cash is best, eliminating interest etc. A stance that as handed down to me by my old school grandad. My missus is of a PCP persuasion. My reasoning is that if I bought a car and sold it 4 or so years later, deducted the sale price from my original purchase price and divided by the number of months owning the car then overall cash would give a lower monthly payment.

She has a background in estate agency and mortgages which we want to start our own portfolio soon. Her point is that by going into PCP we free up what might have been 25k worth of deposit that could be put into buy to let mortgages to generate a monthly income.

My middle ground for this has been a bank loan of say 20k which is only charged at 2.9% interest currently, which could pay for the car, leaving our own money available to start a property portfolio.

I'm unsure essentially and would like to see the opinion of the forum!

My wife will drive the car daily, which consists of 7 minute school run, 5 of which are on national speed limit 60mph road, and general driving to and from shops just a couple of miles, it would probably go on the motorway once a week to see relatives within 30mins, and then once or twice a year do a longer journey 3+ hours for a UK holiday/city breaks/longer away relatives etc

Welcome all advice and apologies for the long winded post!!

Many Thanks

Edited by py_6294 on 24/06/2022 at 19:30

SUV - Next car. PCP vs loan vs finance. Diesel vs petrol - Palcouk

Buy to let? currently the financial pages are treating such investments with great caution and warning of the dangers caused by pending legislation, alsi the returns have fallen dramatically.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/volkswagen/tiguan/good

Unless miles of at least 15k a year don't go diesel

SUV - Next car. PCP vs loan vs finance. Diesel vs petrol - Heidfirst

Middle ground. hybrid (e.g. RAV4) or plug-in hybrid?

I also had the same thoughts as Palcouk about the way that the government seems to be heading on buy-to-let ...

Edited by Heidfirst on 24/06/2022 at 20:20

SUV - Next car. PCP vs loan vs finance. Diesel vs petrol - Adampr

The usual advice is that you buy on PCP to get the deposit contribution, or whatever they offer, then take out a loan and buy yourself back out of it at a lower interest rate.

SUV - Next car. PCP vs loan vs finance. Diesel vs petrol - DavidGlos
BTL? Not sure. Probably OK as a retirement income plan as part of a mixed portfolio of pensions, ISAs etc.

Car? Stick with petrol or petrol hybrid.
SUV - Next car. PCP vs loan vs finance. Diesel vs petrol - sammy1

BTL Is it a good idea with bank rate rising, Houses probably at their peak prices for quite a while and GOV now appears to be against multiple house ownership. Need to research responsibilities as a landlord and there are some iffy tenants around that make a hole in any paper profit you may see

Petrol for any car given your stated use, research running costs in view of current fuel prices depreciation etc. If you have the cash buy it, when handing leased cars back you can get stung on things like tyres minor body damage and wear and tear