What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Insuring a new vehicle - bluenun

When you get yourself a replacement car, what is the usual procedure regarding insurance.

Do you cancel the current insurance and then take out another new policy or do you transfer the policy to the newer car?

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Insuring a new vehicle - RT

It varies- get a quote to change from your present insurer and compare it with quotes from other insurers, taking into account any cancellation charges and possible loss of NCD.

I've always ended up with the same insurer.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Insuring a new vehicle - Crickleymal

Personally I just get my insurer to switch the policy to the new car. At renewal time I get other quotes.

Thank-you both for the replies.

I am guessing that it would cost a lot more if I kept the insurance on my current car and also got insurance for the newer vehicle.

The only reason I was thinking of doing this is in case I have any problem with the newer vehicle in the next 2 or 3 weeks I could still drive my current car which is also still taxed.

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Insuring a new vehicle - catsdad

I assume you will be selling your old car soon?
Unless you are SORN-ing your old car, which entails taking it off the public road, you will need to maintain the insurance on it.

Thanks for the reply, I will start a new thread about the old car and tax.