What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 auto. - Resale value - bluenun

It has been a long time since I bought a car, 17 years actually. My last 4 vehicles were bought at auction but the general public are no longer allowed into BCA and Manheim.

I do realise car prices have increased since C19.

I have been looking at Honda Jazz on Autotrader and other sites and noticed their resale price at 3 years old is only about 8-9% below what it cost brand new, that surprised me.

Fords Fiesta and Focus seem to be about 30 to 33% below the new cost at the time.

No question but thought I would make a post in case anyone wants to comment.

Also some garages I have looked at online do not take offers, no haggling (not that I like haggling or am any good at it).

Ford Focus 1.6 auto. - Resale value - Xileno

Covid has distorted the market, secondhand prices are daft at the moment. There have been a few comments from members here to say they've been offered very good prices for their car they bought pre-pandemic. The Fords are probably softer in prices because traditionally they always hit the fleet market and would have got hefty discounts.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto. - Resale value - badbusdriver

I have been looking at Honda Jazz on Autotrader and other sites and noticed their resale price at 3 years old is only about 8-9% below what it cost brand new, that surprised me.

Fords Fiesta and Focus seem to be about 30 to 33% below the new cost at the time.

Just had a look on Autotrader at 2019 (automatic) Honda Jazz and Ford Fiesta with up to 30k miles and no insurance write offs.

Cheapest Fiesta is a 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec with 20k miles for £13125. According to this website, the price new was £18595, so current price is circa 30% lower.

Cheapest Jazz is a 1.3 VTEC S with 19k miles for £12100. According to Parkers, the new price was £15690, so current price is circa 22.5% lower.

Dearest Fiesta (ignoring the Vignale and Active models) is a 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium with 5k miles for £19498. According to Parkers, new price was £19875, so current price circa 1.75% lower (!)

Dearest Jazz (ignoring the 1.5 sport) is a 1.3 VTEC EX Navi with 10k miles for £17991. According to Parkers, new price was £19300, so current price circa 7% lower.

Thanks for the interesting replies.

badbusdriver, do you need to subscribe to Parkers in order to get the previous years new car prices?

badbusdriver, do you need to subscribe to Parkers in order to get the previous years new car prices?

No, just look up the model on used car reviews. Click on specs, you'll then pick the exact model, engine, trim, gearbox, then click on full specs. The new price is given along with its approximate value now.

Those new prices may not be 100% accurate though as you couldn't pick the exact year (that shape Fiesta first appeared in 2017 and the Jazz in 2015).

Thank-you for that badbusdriver.

I am not too confident at evaluating a car and it's condition, I will ask for a test drive and see how it starts, drives, brakes etc. Any tips on what to do or look for?

Would it be a concern to you if the car had not been driven in a year>

An old lady had it and became ill and did not use the car for a year.

Another couple of cars at this car supermarket, I have a feeling they are ex fleet cars, is that a problem? Some have lots of service history, others not much.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto. - Resale value - Adampr

Not moving for a year might be a problem.

I'd check the tyres are still round (seriously...) and not cracked. The battery will probably be flat and will need replacing. Fluids and filters probably need changing (but they would for the service interval anyway). I'd expect to pay out about £700 to 'recommission' it, which you wouldn't get with a car used daily. However the condition might be better than your average car.

A lot of people seem happy with car supermarkets. Fleet wouldn't concern me, but I'd only go for one with a full history. Don't buy using car supermarket finance and do go ready for them to try to sell it to you.

Thanks for the tips.

The 7 years old Jazz I like does have slight cracking on the treads.

The 3 year old Jazz I like most at the supermarket does not have any service history until this year which is odd.

The other 3 2019 supermarket Jazz's I like do have full service history at a Honda garage.

I wont be using finance and I do not want to be paying for extra warranty. Should the car I choose come with any warranty at all? Of course I will ask that question but it is good to know what I should be getting.

You will have three months warranty if you buy from a dealer. Some will extend it to six months for very little extra.

The 7 years old Jazz I like does have slight cracking on the treads.

The 3 year old Jazz I like most at the supermarket does not have any service history until this year which is odd.

The other 3 2019 supermarket Jazz's I like do have full service history at a Honda garage.

Is the 7 year old car a 3rd gen Jazz?. While the 2nd gen car is arguably better looking, the 3rd gen drives better.

We had one from 2017-2020 and while they are brilliant cars, much better than most folk would have you believe, there are a couple of issues. The first could be more of an individual thing, but it bothered me, that was the driving position. I like to sit high in the car, but at the same time, I like the rear of the seat to be quite low in relation to the front. In the Jazz, when you crank the seat up, the rear comes up more than the front, so I was never entirely happy!. Not a deal breaker, and I could probably have just got used to sitting lower in the car (which I did anyway if going on a longer journey). BTW, the seats themselves are very comfy.

The other is the engine. Peak power happens at 6000rpm and peak torque at 5000rpm, so unless you are working the engine hard, it does feel sluggish. Don't get me wrong, there is a surprising turn of speed if you want it, helped by the excellent CVT which has an uncanny ability to get the most out of what power there is, but some folk are reluctant to rev an engine as hard as you need to access what performance there is in the Jazz.

If you think this may be an issue it may be worth considering a Toyota Yaris 1.5. I'm talking about the fairly short lived non hybrid version which was only around for a few years. It has around 10% more torque (and BHP) than the Jazz coming in 600rpm lower, so will feel a less frenetic if you are in a hurry. It doesn't have as much interior space as the Jazz though, either in the boot or the cabin, plus it doesn't have the Honda's 'magic seats' in the rear. If space and practicality is not a prime factor, maybe also consider the Mazda 2. It has less power than either Jazz or Yaris, but peak torque is lower again at 4000rpm and there is more of it than the Yaris. All three very reliable though.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto. - Resale value - Alby Back
I was parked in a public car park near a castle today, when two other cars arrived. Both were occupied by couples clearly more than eligible for their old age pensions.

One car was a newish Honda Jazz, the other was a newish Mini Cooper S. Now, the Jazz owners almost certainly were blessed with a vehicle that provided greater reliability, lower running costs and a larger capacity for loading up with items from the garden centre.

But, I’d have to say, the Mini owners did seem to be smiling a lot more.

Hope I’m as irresponsible come the day.

;-)
I was parked in a public car park near a castle today, when two other cars arrived. Both were occupied by couples clearly more than eligible for their old age pensions. One car was a newish Honda Jazz, the other was a newish Mini Cooper S. Now, the Jazz owners almost certainly were blessed with a vehicle that provided greater reliability, lower running costs and a larger capacity for loading up with items from the garden centre. But, I’d have to say, the Mini owners did seem to be smiling a lot more. Hope I’m as irresponsible come the day. ;-)

I got a whole drum kit, including stands and cases, in the back of a Mini (with the seats down) once.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto. - Resale value - Alby Back
Well, I have a story about the back of a Mini too, but it was a very long time ago…
;-)

Thank-you for all that helpful information.

The 7 year old Jazz is a 1.4 and I believe it is a 3rd gen.

The other 3 year old ones are all 1.3.

I did wonder about the differences between the 2 engines so you explained it well.

I will bear in mind the seat issue when I do the test drives.

I do about 3500 miles a year and mostly local, at the end of the year I may do a 700 mile round trip. I do like to keep the revs at 3000 on the motorway in the Focus. I am keen to compare the power/acceleration differences between the Jazz and Focus, they are the same BHP but as you mention the peak torque of the Jazz is at higher revs.

I will take a look at the Yaris and Mazda 2 now.