Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - Jane Cave
Hi, my son was getting quotes to renew his car insurance, the price was really high and one company wouldn’t insure it at all, because, apparently his car was written off in December 2021? He’s had the car for 3 years and its never been in an accident. On further investigation, he discovered it was now marked as a Cat S. His insurance company know nothing about it, and confirmed there had been no claims against the vehicle. Does anyone know how to resolve this, and get the Cat S removed? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - badbusdriver

Not sure how to rectify it, but I'm wondering if your sons car has been cloned and the clone was involved in an accident?.

Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - sammy1

You do not say how old your son is.. My experience of cat N or S is that the insurance companies do not load their premiums for insurance right offs. If however they have a subsequent claim on a cat car then they only pay out the value of the car LESS 25%. If as you say he has owned the car for 3 years and not claimed then there must be a mistake on the insurance database if it shows a claim in Dec 21. Whatever I assume your son is using the meerkat or other sites for quotes.

Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - Andrew-T

I think if 'one company' wouldn't insure it for this reason, most others would likely do the same. So I wonder if, when getting quotes, your son may have made a keyboard error for that company ? Cloning is a possibility, but surely the same argument would apply ? Have you checked what is on the DVLA record for this car ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 22/05/2022 at 15:45

Thank you. Yes, he was using the meerkat site, we looked at Autotrader, typed in his reg, and they have it down as a Cat S. The DVLA gov. Site says the V5 was last issued in 2019. His current insurance company just pushed us from one department to another then back to the claims department, who were then closed. I’m presuming if it had been cloned, it would have flagged up as having 2 insurance policies at the national database maybe? We just have no idea how to get this removed or investigated, as he’s definitely not written it off.
Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - sammy1

you will have to start with your current insurance company. They will know that your son did not claim with them so they will be able to tell who put the marker on your sons car. The cat S will make NO difference to re- insuring. It has however devalued the car until put right.

Thank you Sammy1, I will start again tomorrow. If I get any joy, I will reply here, it might be of help to someone in the future.
Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - Xileno

That would be great. Sadly a good number never come back to update us so we never find out what happened - positive or negative!

Skoda Fabia - Wrongful Cat S marker - Terry W

If you have not already done so, check that the reg no. is consistent with the VIN number.

This may eliminate the risk of the car being cloned.

Hi, thank you, his current insurance company has confirmed that he has not had a claim on the car, in 2021,he also had to pay for an HPI check, and he has now sent an email to MIAFTR, stating there has been a mistake. Hopefully they will investigate further and rectify the error.
I will keep you updated. Many thanks for all your suggestions.