What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - _

Getting ready for a trip to Belgium with the car at the end of the month.

Any tips from anyone who has traveled recently by car?

Have got UK sticker, first aid kit, warning triangles EU breakdown cover etc etc All documents ready and getting Animal health certificate for Blodwen a week before traveling. Vet arranged for de-worm before return.

Any more advice?

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Adampr

Insurance and headlights

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - FP

Yellow hi-vis jacket inside car (France).

Number plates should not display "GB" - you can get special stickers with "UK".

My LED headlights are flat-beam and don't need adjustment - maybe check what yours are and whether you need to do anything.

Check whether you'll drive into any low-emission zones.

You are advised to take V5 in case of any situation where you need to prove you have a right to be in charge of your car.

Theoretically any satnav should not show positions of speed cameras (France).

Insurance cover for driving abroad.

Vaccine status evidence - we printed ours.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - RickyBoy

Jeez...

...think I'll 'holiday' in Bradford this summer!

Yellow hi-vis jacket inside car (France)..... GOT 'em

Number plates should not display "GB" - you can get special stickers with "UK". Got it...

My LED headlights are flat-beam and don't need adjustment - maybe check what yours are and whether you need to do anything.... Beam deflectors, but not driving at night so wont stick them on.. (in car)

Check whether you'll drive into any low-emission zones..... Checked Antwerp...

You are advised to take V5 in case of any situation where you need to prove you have a right to be in charge of your car............Got it

Theoretically any satnav should not show positions of speed cameras (France). Understood.

Insurance cover for driving abroad. Got it.

Vaccine status evidence - we printed ours. got 'em

As well as full size spare wheel.

All this just to get some decent steak frites properly served..

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Big John

Emissions "Crit-Air" sticker if passing through France a good idea - it's pretty cheap as well

www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Antwerp:-

www.green-zones.eu/en/low-emission-zones/belgium/a...p

Also in France having a autoroute "tag" can be useful - probably not necessary on a one off trip. This has saved many an hour of my life.

www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

Edited by Big John on 15/05/2022 at 19:46

Emissions "Crit-Air" sticker if passing through France a good idea - it's pretty cheap as well

www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Antwerp:-

www.green-zones.eu/en/low-emission-zones/belgium/a...p

Also in France having a autoroute "tag" can be useful - probably not necessary on a one off trip. This has saved many an hour of my life.

www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

Thanks, know of all of them.

This trip, (on the other side) Calais-Bruges-Antwerp) otherwise minimal driving.

In Antwerp will watch out for e-scooter riders.

Done the Antwerp green zone thingy before. so know the ropes.

When in Antwerp will leave car in hotel car park..

Parking in Bruges at the central station 4 euros a day...

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/05/2022 at 20:37

I was (alas, all too briefly) in Antwerp a few years ago and was very impressed - a lovely city.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Ian D
If you are going on the Eurotunnel Folkestone-Calais at peak times expect 1 to 4 hour delays regardless of the time you have booked due to French Border/Passport Control only manning a few of the booths at a time (rather than all 8 to 10 of them).
If you are going on the Eurotunnel Folkestone-Calais at peak times expect 1 to 4 hour delays regardless of the time you have booked due to French Border/Passport Control only manning a few of the booths at a time (rather than all 8 to 10 of them).

Going DFDS as youngrover girl "won" a free crossing for car and 2 passengers on Blue light tickets. Dog is extra, but no problem with that.

As an aside to that anyone with a blue light card can join "Blue light tickets"

bluelighttickets.co.uk/

there are lots of freebies in Lotteries for tickets and the blue light car gives discounts on food in some restaurants.

(Apologies for slight thread drift)

ORB

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Steveieb

So many things to think about.

Maybe try flying and hiring a car maybe ?

Some airports are working better than others , such as East Midlands .

All documents ready and getting Animal health certificate for Blodwen a week before traveling. Vet arranged for de-worm before return

So many things to think about.

Maybe try flying and hiring a car maybe ?

Some airports are working better than others , such as East Midlands .

I did say taking the dog.. can't take her on a plane, otherwise she'd be with me to Italy this weekend and Irelad in june as well as off to Canada with youngrovergirl in August.. I'm going seperately in september.

its a busy few weeks.21-27 Italy 30th to 4th june belgium. 7-11 june Cork for graduation of nephew.

But Thanks anyway..

Edited by _ORB_ on 16/05/2022 at 12:48

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Speedbird 747

Don’t use Eurotunnel. Stupid prices.

I use Irish Ferries regularly since Eurotunnel stopped their Frequent Traveller Scheme for some mysterious reason. Upgrade to Club for £12 each and get priority boarding and a nice lounge. Free bean to cup coffee machine, white or red wine, snacks. Really good value and you get away from the rabble.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Speedbird 747

Going to France you also need an alcohol test kit.

The kit also comes with a set of handcuffs, so if you are over the top you can arrest yourself to save the Gendarmes the trouble.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Xileno

"Going to France you also need an alcohol test kit."

I don't think that's true now, it was an idea that never got as far as becoming Law.

The law was/is not being enforced anyway once the reasons behind it were found out.

Wasn't it a presidents mate who got the law enacted and made a mint out of it.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - focussed

Going to France you also need an alcohol test kit.

The kit also comes with a set of handcuffs, so if you are over the top you can arrest yourself to save the Gendarmes the trouble.

No you don't, that was abandoned years ago.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - edlithgow

. Vet arranged for de-worm before return.

Yeh.

Worms are bad enough without bringing FRENCH ones in.

(Brexit has to mean something.)

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Big John

We had a bit of a panic re Mrs BJ's passport a few weeks ago re travel mid June- I thought we were ok as her passport expiry was March 2023 and passport start date was Sept 2012 however it dawned on us that some airlines / travel agents were effectively using start date + 10 years less 6 months as the date allowed to travel. Houston....

I tried the quick passport (1 week or pick up appointments) route but as in the press you couldn't get times/dates/locations for love nor money. Slightly worried I decided to see if like some previous Covid bookings extra "resources" were made available after midnight. I got up about 12:30 am and Bingo managed to book a 1 week passport for her. Fortunately after visiting the Liverpool passport office I can report the whole passport office process was actually incredibly efficient - best to turn up 15-30 minutes before your appointment and stand in the "small" second queue. We were seen more or less on time re the booked appointment. The big queues as reported in the press are actually for general Passport enquiries and not booked appointments. Just ask as you arrive and you'll be pointed in the right direction. I suppose we still have to see if the passport arrives in one week - however they said unless some information was missing (they thoroughly checked whilst we were there) the passport will be delivered to our house within 1 week.

Just thought I'd mention as if I'd known before hand the whole thing would have been much less stressful for us.

As it happens we might not have needed a passport for June travel as guidance has been updated "The advice for EU and Schengen nations now says a UK passport must be:

• Issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • Valid for at least three months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

However we are where we are and passport would have been due for later this year anyway and we might be going abroad again in September.

Edited by Big John on 18/05/2022 at 21:25

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - daveyjp

Daughter's passport expired last year, but we didn't renew as no need. She now needs one in August.

Applied online for her first 10 year passport in mid April, it took two weeks, Her old passport was returned last week. Timing was no different to all other times we have applied. It is new black one and looks and feels like its been put together in a child labour sweatshop.

I do however very much doubt her new one will have a Russian stamp when it expires, unlike her old one.

Edited by daveyjp on 18/05/2022 at 22:06

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - Smileyman

When I was at Eurotunnel a few days ago, arrival 06.45 just 2 vehicles in front at check in, likewise at UK exit and French entry border posts, ended up on the 07.20 (had booked 07.50) train. Got a French entry stamp in passport, but didn't want to see the COVID pass letters I had ordered from 119. Will comment on return experience later.

Satnav directed an odd route before Antwerp but still got caught in queues, do wish there would be a bypass, lots of traffic every time I have been there.

Any recent Experiences? - Travelling to Europe by Car - daveyK_UK
One small item,
make sure you have a UK sticker as the GB stickers are no longer used.

If a vehicle is displaying a GB sticker instead of a UK sticker is it a motoring offence in France?

Keeping on topic, does anyone have any post covid experience on the Plymouth to Santander ferry?

Yes, have removed my GB sticker, replaced with UK sticker. Also covered the GB and EU flag sections kn number plates with UK stickers, front and rear plates

"If a vehicle is displaying a GB sticker instead of a UK sticker is it a motoring offence in France?"

Not sure if would come under Motoring. Some sources suggest it would be an offence punishable by a fine, others that entry to a EU country could be refused. I have no idea if anyone in the EU is actually enforcing it anyway.

I'm home again, and it was an interesting little trip to Amsterdam (to see the Floriade in nearby Almere was the reason for the trip).

With heavy rain / thunderstorms for much of the time in France and Belgium and a 100kph speed limit in Holland I achieved 62mpg over the 612 miles driven, brim to brim. Journey time took a hit and I didn't need to purchase any of fuel whilst overseas. (well as happy as could be when paying £1.67 a litre). This is the 1 litre 3 cylinder VW engine in a SEAT Toledo with 70k miles on the clock.

Antwerp, don't ask. The SATNAV warned of traffic congestion so decided to reroute me off the motorway and through the Waaslandtunnel - but failed to indicate the need to use the left land at the tunnel entrance. Second time around I ignored it and went my own way. Then it indicated a left turn to the E17 whilst the road was only available for travel in the other direction. In the end I ignored it again and took the E34 to Zelzate. Perhaps I need to update the maps, or run google maps on the mobile alongside, whatever the next time I travel in that direction I hope for a less stressful experience. Or to do things the old way and break out my paper maps!

Do feel sorry for our HGV friends, there were some very long queues to negotiate, can't be good for anyone with limited driving hours.

Just finally, the toilets at the motorway service stations require payment to enter, mostly 70c, and they give out vouchers that may be redeemed towards in shop / catering purchases. Contactless card or cash will do nicely, at least the facilities were clean and a lot less unpleasant to use than those found in the UK.

Edited by Smileyman on 24/05/2022 at 21:17