What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Shelf life of antifreeze - Grenache

I was clearing out my late mum & dads garage and found about half a dozen bottles of unopened blue antifreeze. The bottles are at least ten years old, and I was wondering if it's still safe to use or does it have a shelf life.?

If it needs disposing, what's the best way to do that?

Thanks

Shelf life of antifreeze - elekie&a/c doctor
It lasts forever. But you need to check if it’s suitable for the car you may be using it in .
Shelf life of antifreeze - Andrew-T

If it needs disposing, what's the best way to do that?

As said, it should not need to be dumped. But unless it is silicon-based it will be miscible with water so can be diluted and put to drain.

Shelf life of antifreeze - focussed

Please do not dispose of anti-freeze down an outside drain - if you must, flush it down the toilet if you are on mains drains with plenty of water to dilute it, it's poisonous to humans and animals and attractive to animals as it tastes sweet. If you are on a septic tank take it to your local recycling centre.

Shelf life of antifreeze - John F

Sell them for a fiver on gumtree, buyer collects. Ideal for classic car owners. Waste not want not.

Please do not dispose of anti-freeze down an outside drain - if you must, flush it down the toilet if you are on mains drains with plenty of water to dilute it, it's poisonous to humans and animals and attractive to animals as it tastes sweet. If you are on a septic tank take it to your local recycling centre.

There is a busy thread on here from many years back, and plenty of advice on Google. The consensus seems to be the toilet route, but if you have a suitable space, it seems you could pour the contents into a small pit, cover it and let it degrade naturally. Glycol is chemically similar to glycerol and other natural carbohydrates, so is not a lethal poison.

...... it's poisonous to humans and animals and attractive to animals as it tastes sweet.

Only in large quantities.

Glycol is chemically similar to glycerol and other natural carbohydrates, so is not a lethal poison.

It can be - in large quantities.

You could always sweeten some cheap wine with it......;-(

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diethylene_glycol_wine_...l

<< It can be - in large quantities. >>

So can water - in large quantities. Define 'large'. I don't think the small hoard mentioned by the OP would be lethal when buried.

<< It can be - in large quantities. >>

So can water - in large quantities. Define 'large'.

Of considerable capacity.

I don't think the small hoard mentioned by the OP would be lethal when buried.

Might be for a sweet-toothed mole......

Shelf life of antifreeze - focussed

...... it's poisonous to humans and animals and attractive to animals as it tastes sweet.

Only in large quantities.

Glycol is chemically similar to glycerol and other natural carbohydrates, so is not a lethal poison.

It can be - in large quantities.

You could always sweeten some cheap wine with it......;-(

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diethylene_glycol_wine_...l

Ethylene glycol is the primary ingredient in antifreeze, making up 95 to 97 percent of the product. A tiny amount of antifreeze is enough to cause pets to become dangerously ill. Only a teaspoon or two will poison a cat, while three tablespoons will poison a 15-pound dog.

Because the OP's question was about undiluted anti-freeze that's why I posted the warning.