What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - pete2000

Hi All

I am looking at renting a car for my next holiday and trying to see how to manage 2 young kids and 3 adults?

Hoping someone can save me hours of research.

As far as I can tell, 2 kids and an adult at the back is very tricky for most cars.

Would putting a child in the front and having 2 adults + 1 car seat work better??

I'm looking at rental companies in Turkey and the viable options seem to be the likes of Jukes/Mokka/Duster/qashqai? Would any of these work for 3+2 kids? especially if my working theory that a child in the passenger seat makes things more spacious?

I was looking for 7 seaters but they are large van type things which probably will be a hindrance in the busy streets/parking.

Not too fussed about model etc, but racking my brain to make this work. Any ideas appreciated!

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - Ian_SW

For fairly short journeys (up to an hour or so), we've managed that in an Octavia with a fairly slim adult in the middle in the back between a toddler seat and a high back booster.

Putting one of the child seats in the front (assuming that's legal in the country you're visiting) does free up quite a bit of space, particularly if you then fit the other child seat into the middle seat in the back which gives adults more shoulder room against the doors.

I think that arrangement would work in a Qashqai, but probably not a Mokka or Juke, both of which are a bit of an anti-tardis and surprisingly small inside.

Hi there

Thanks for the response. I will see Qashqai or equivalent. Do you think it would work with the Duster as there seems to be a lot of them for rent.

great point about the legality of car seat in the front. 'officially' it seems not accepted in turkey so probably won't risk it (albeit I've read it is lax in application).

Surprisingly little info on how to fit 3 at the back online if you have 2 car seats.

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - DavidGlos
Not sure if the seat(s) are ISOFIX, but that fitment system is often absent from front seats and middle rear seats.

Thanks. I only use belt seats never isofix so would be flexible. If it is two seats at back obviously a concern with an adult at back too.

So at present going to have to wing it with the qashqai.

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - Bromptonaut

The only time I've done this was in a Citroen BX estate. Tight fit fit an adult between seats for a 3yo and a 1yo but it just about worked.

In terms of modern vehicles a Citroen Berlingo or its Peugeot or Vauxhall/Opel badged cousins would do the job admirably and although van based they drive well.

My worry with a hire car would be arriving and finding that a wholly unsuitable alternative was offered. Take it or leave it and a real or feigned failure to understand complaints etc in English.

Thanks the more I read the more worrying it gets. Travelling during the pandemic is bad enough but as with many it's a much needed break. Going to keep plowing through the car rentals.

Other than those 5 seat SUVs the other option is something called a Dacia Lodgy which I'm not sure is a massive vehicle or a MPV type thing. It's also manual which whilst not a show stopper may be my only option. The next one is called a Citroen spacetourer which seems even bigger.

Anyone know what a Lodgy is and would that work?

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - catsdad

Have you already got the narrowest available child seats? Googling narrow child seats brings up a 40.8cm Graco one on Amazon and a 42cm one on Halfords Essentials. Both are well priced starting at £35 and use the existing belts. If these are significant narrower than what you have it might give you a bit more reassurance that you will squeeze in.

Report on the UK Lodgy here:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/18730/dacia-lodgy

Not on current Dacia UK website where I suspect it's been replaced by the Jogger.

Quite a few Dacia models that didn't come to the UK including the Dokker which is similar to the old Renault Kangoo or Mk1 Berlingo/Partner.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 24/04/2022 at 12:35

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - badbusdriver

Report on the UK Lodgy here:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/18730/dacia-lodgy

Not on current Dacia UK website where I suspect it's been replaced by the Jogger.

Quite a few Dacia models that didn't come to the UK including the Dokker which is similar to the old Renault Kangoo or Mk1 Berlingo/Partner.

Despite what that link might suggest, i don't think the Lodgy was ever sold officially in the UK, there certainly aren't any on Autotrader.

The Lodgy and Dokker are basically the same (other than the roofline they are identical from the B pillar forward) though they seem to overlap each other for intended market. The Lodgy is longer with three rows of seats (6 or 7 seats depending on market and version) and conventionally opening rear side doors. The (passenger carrying) Dokker was 5 seat only but had a taller roofline and sliding rear side doors.

For the OP, I did think a car with 3 rows of seats would be a better option than trying to squeeze 3 adults and 2 child seats (plus what is presumably going to be a lot of luggage) into a 5 seater that you are unfamiliar with.

The Lodgy is definitely fit for your needs (it isn't massive BTW, shorter than a current Focus estate), but if it wasn't too much dearer, I'd definitely take the Citroen Spacetourer.

Thank you all for the responses.

Sounds like the Lodgy is going to have to do. I appreciate the tips and posting here has definitely helped make the decision easier.

The other 7 seaters are much more for the ten days or so I'll need a car. 300 odd quid versus 800 plus for the other options so it feels a little irresponsible to spend 2-3 times as much.

I think adjusting to changing gears on a manual with my right hand for a few days is worth the saving!

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - Xileno

You will probably be surprised how quickly you take to it and just start driving without even thinking of using the right hand for gears.

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - catsdad

I’ve never had any problem using a manual left hand drive. The pedals are in the same order and I think the muscle memory for a manual car is mainly in your feet. That’s where the fine control is needed and your feet don’t care which side of the car you sit on.

The gear lever needs comparatively little fine control as it’s guided by the gates.

I’ve never had any problem using a manual left hand drive. The pedals are in the same order and I think the muscle memory for a manual car is mainly in your feet. That’s where the fine control is needed and your feet don’t care which side of the car you sit on.

The gear lever needs comparatively little fine control as it’s guided by the gates.

That's my experience too - in Spain.

Found an automatic in the States more challenging as I'd not driven one for donks and only very rarely then.

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - HGV ~ P Valentine

Child car seats: the law: Using a child car seat or booster seat - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

How to fit 3 adults +2 forward facing kids? - badbusdriver

Child car seats: the law: Using a child car seat or booster seat - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Given the OP is asking the question re a holiday in Turkey (which, presumably means they won't be taking their own child seats), I'm not sure how much help the UK rules and regs are going to be?