What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda - Dealership Experience - freddieflintoff

Would just like opinions/thoughts on this as I've not been to a main dealer for a service before (in fact any garage as done home servicing on my faithful VW for a decade and got it to 250,000 miles) and was shocked by the approach to advice and pricing.

5-year old Mazda3 now on 50,000 bought 8 months ago on approved used with warranty which I wanted to maintain so went main dealer service (I know legally you don't have to but didn't want any hassle).

When I booked, was told it was due 6th service (main dealer had serviced it just before selling but only 1000 miles after the previous one) so that was 75,000 miles and major with spark plugs etc... so £533!

Booking admin didn't seem to understand when I queried so challenged them when I took it in. To be fair, they agreed and knocked it back to a minor service on the day.

Then came my "health check" and a quote of £400 for a pair of pads/discs which was emailed through and presented as being urgent / MOT failure style. Still 4mm left so I declined. Twice after an offer of credit.

Long story short, I know my stuff (ish) from home servicing and just being alert but had I been less aware of what needed doing and prices I would have been in a hole for a total of £970! Came away with a bill of £200 and some work needing doing at an indy soon. They did do some work under warranty with no quibbles to be fair but was shocked by this.

Standard fare? Thoughts?

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Falkirk Bairn

Standard sort of response from many garages padding out a service.

Many years back I had a light on on the dashboard of my Honda Civic - say 80Kmiles and I had had it from new.

Booked it in and there was nothing in the computer log. They extinguished the light by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.

They did however go over my car and produced a list of work urgently needed. It came to £2,700. I took my car to my Indie and he said nothing really needed other than a new rheostat on the heating fan and 2 tyres (not illegal but 2.5mm)

I went down to the Honda garage and challenge them - waste of time.

I complained to Honda UK - they booked my car in to an Edinburgh outlet - they said the car was fine for 80K mile, rheostat and 2 tyres needed soon(but not illegal)

The only crumb of comfort was 5 years later the local Honda glass palace closed and a few years later the chain collapsed as well.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Andrew-T

The only crumb of comfort was 5 years later the local Honda glass palace closed and a few years later the chain collapsed as well.

Clearly too many knowledgeable customers had been nibbling away at their necessary profit margins :-)

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Ian D
Main dealers creating work for themselves is common, and I think brake discs and pads are their favourite as they are quick to change (especially if the technician minimises time cleaning caliper pins etc) and they can make it seem safety related to get you to agree, as they did to you. You did the right thing and declined to sort it out yourself, a lot of people don’t.

The same has happened to me at a VW dealer (front discs and pads, leaking rear brake cylinders) and a Toyota dealer (front discs and pads) both times the brakes were fine for another 1 to 2 years then I changed them myself. Yes so standard fare!

Edited by Ian D on 20/04/2022 at 08:03

Main dealers creating work for themselves is common, and I think brake discs and pads are their favourite as they are quick to change ...

As a plug for using a trusted indy :- recently put Pug 207 through MoT, passed with advisory about condition of disks. Took car to trusted indy for 'full brake service with fluid change (hadn't been done for 7 years), suggesting new disks + pads if needed'. Nothing done except fluid change, so very satisfied. Nothing wrong with braking behaviour, by the way.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - John F

Standard fare?

Probably - all the more reason to develop a good relationship with a small independent mechanic.

Thoughts?

It's a good thing our national non 'private' medical service and repair organisation doesn't operate like this.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - freddieflintoff

Standard fare?

Probably - all the more reason to develop a good relationship with a small independent mechanic.

Thoughts?

It's a good thing our national non 'private' medical service and repair organisation doesn't operate like this.

Thankfully have got a good independent I’ve been going to for years with a selection of cars but it’s not easy to find one.
Mazda - Dealership Experience - sammy1

"""It's a good thing our national non 'private' medical service and repair organisation doesn't operate like this"""

Yes who would want a new hip if you didn't need one.

The amount of ""waste" that goes on in the industry is frightening, not only that but the sums of money involved. It is all too apparent by the posts on here the lack of basic mechanical knowledge that people have which feeds the shysters. I wonder if EVs will help the consumer, less mechanicals to go wrong but I suppose the dealership will maintain its margins with the initial price of the car.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - John F

"""It's a good thing our national non 'private' medical service and repair organisation doesn't operate like this"""

Yes who would want a new hip if you didn't need one.

Or a new knee - often needed in later life because someone unnecessarily moved their damaged cartilage instead of waiting for it to get better (it takes about a year - I know from personal experience having declined its removal about ten years ago.) I suspect that's why HM is now so immobile.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Sparrow

BMW dealer has done Health Checks for years. They make you feel pressured to chage brake pads, discs and also tyres. I've witnessed othet customers in their nice waiting area agree to tyres more than once. I only once had to pay out for a tyre and that was an MOT failure. It's difficult to argue with that and more expensive to take the car away and bring it back later. After the 5 years servicing deal that came free with the car I found an indy. He has once suggested my front brake pads were getting low but said there was a warning light that would come on in plenty of time to get new ones fitted. Wise advice.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Engineer Andy

As a long-term Mazda car owner (Mazda3 - 16 years from new [bought elsewhere] and counting), my views are as follows:

The 6th year service has always been the most major, and thus most expensive one on their 6yr cycle. Saying that, it was quite a bump over my last one which was about £450. Maybe that's due to a combination of location of the glass palace and recent significant inflation.

The spark plugs are not the bog-stand type but iridium and should last for another 6 years/75k miles, hence why they aren't cheap in comparison. Technically you could use the cheaper standard ones if you do low mileage. How much that save in today's market, I'm not sure.

The 'health check' is an oft-used ploy by dealerships of most, if not all hues to get lucrative business on items that aren't difficult to replace, such as tyres, batteries and brake pads/discs.

My dealership (which is above average on post-sales customer care for Mazda dealers from the tales I've read on the Mazda3 owners' forum) said my 6 month-old new battery (supplied and fitted by the RAC man in July of that year) was in 'poor condition' at the end of 2020 service and 'might need replacing'.

Oddly enough it has lasted perfectly fine since then.

They haven't tended to do the same for the brakes except occasionally recommending they get a 'service' (not included in normal servicing because the brakes do bind a bit because of low use.

I tend to go by what I hear / feel when driving and have only had to have one set of discs and pads replaced in the entire ownership period, twice with a 'brake service' for lubrication of the parts so they don't bind.

If you feel confident about doing the brake servicing yourself (a friend of mine who owns an MX-5 does), then when its out of its 1yr dealer warranty, then by all means - it'll save you a decent amoutn of money.

With general servicing, it really depends upon either your own competence / confidence or that of your local indie to look after the car generally. For myself, I'm not allowed to service my car where it is kept as it's against my lease, but I wouldn't want to anyway, and I don't have enough confidence in local outfits to use them, so I stay with my dealership except for a few very minor / easy-to-do DIY items.

That does mean I pay more for servicing, but to be fair, they have gone above and beyond on a good number of occasions.

It may also make more of a difference if your car is a disel-engined one rather than a petrol (presumably yours is a gen-3 Skyactiv), as they are more susceptible to problems if they have done / do low mileage, short-distance driving and/or have not been properly looked after before the current owner. See the HJ reviews section for diesel engine-related issues.

In my view, many people offload the diesel-engined cars when they start to give trouble, not so much for the petrols, which often get PXed for a newer one (just because people like to have newer cars) or they go to another make because they find the Skyactiv-G engine a bit underwheling as regards performance. The diesels are fine on performance.

The (chain-driven) petrol engines are generally much more robust as long as they see good quality fresh oil every 12,500 miles or 1 year (whichever comes first).

As regards Mazda dealerships generally, from what I've read on the owners' forum, it appears to be a 50:50 split between reasonable / really good ones, and those that are really bad.

The forum (admitedly it's not exactly that well used these days) is here, including links to Mazda servicing / maintenace info and guides if you feel confident to DIY:

www.mazda3forums.co.uk

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Steveieb

My own view is that because Mazda cars , except the diesels are so reliable there is very little warranty work , the dealers can claim on so they concentrate on maintenance stuff.

I imagine the likes of the German and French marques get plenty to keep them going. A friend who had a problem with his 2012 MB was charged £2000 to fix a cutting out problem but after three attempts and weeks off the road it’s still not fixed.

To be fair, the gen-1 and 2 Mazda3s do suffer more from binding brakes (like the Hyundai i10/Kia Picanto) if not used regularly than the average car of the same age. Other than that, the standard petrol engines seem to be long lived.

The gen-3 cars seem to be better on that front - most of the problems appear to be electrical related - including gadgets, as seems to be par for the course on modern cars. Aside from the diesels (when used for predominantly short trips from cold), they seem to be quite reliable.

I wonder if mechanics leave the more reliable makes dealers so they can get more experience repairing less reliable cars on other makes?

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Xileno

"I wonder if mechanics leave the more reliable makes dealers so they can get more experience repairing less reliable cars on other makes?"

An interesting thought but I think I would rather work in a Toyota dealership. Perhaps an easier life...

Mazda - Dealership Experience - sammy1

Mechanics are manufacturer/dealer trained so I suspect most would stay with the product they are trained for

Mazda - Dealership Experience - groaver

My local Mazda dealership quoted for my first service. I advised that they weren't the supplying dealer but my local. Asked if they could better it so I didn't go to the supplying dealer.

They took £55 off ( beating the supplying one).

At the collection time they advised that it was £40 less than quoted.

No advisories to replace anything.

It was £240 for a second year service.

That's my recent experience of a Mazda dealer.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - FoxyJukebox
Jan-Booked major service/mot and recall job for my Mazda in March.
Turned up in March at dealership -no recall parts available-so just had MOT.
Dealership did this(passed) and told me they had done a health check -all fine
Told dealership I’d have major service done when recall “part” available and followed up with feedback phone call. As of now-no further phone call from dealership.
Will have service done by independent done later in the summer, If dealer contacts me when recall (Fuel pump) part is available -I will-of course-have it done(free).

Edited by FoxyJukebox on 20/04/2022 at 21:51

Mazda - Dealership Experience - catsdad

Our 2012 Mazda 3 had a major service at my very good indie last year. This included iridium plugs, all filters and a brake fluid change. All done to Mazda spec and recorded on the Mazda online service register. It was about £370, £100 of that being the plugs.

A beat up Clio courtesy car was available for free with a request to stick in petrol to cover whatever was used.

Good value I think.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Zippy123

Mark ups, margins and taking the michael.

A woman took her car to a local branch of a national tyre, brake, exhaust plae for a puncture repair.

While the tyre was being repaced the manager popped over to her and said the front brake pads were very low and he recommended replacement. She agreed and the work was done.

On presenting the bill, the woman took a receipt from her glove box showing the pads were replaced by them only a few thousand miles previously and had a lifetime repair / replacement guarantee so long as she remained the vehicles owner.

Our 2012 Mazda 3 had a major service at my very good indie last year. This included iridium plugs, all filters and a brake fluid change. All done to Mazda spec and recorded on the Mazda online service register. It was about £370, £100 of that being the plugs.

A beat up Clio courtesy car was available for free with a request to stick in petrol to cover whatever was used.

Good value I think.

If that was the equivalent of the 6th year (in the 6 year cycle) service and everything was done as if it was in a Mazda dealership (and using equivalent / better materials). then yes.

The problem is that all indie garages I've had quote for my car tended to offer only 2 or 3 levels of service, where certain items that only get changed out at year 4, 5 or 6 will be extra.

In terms of what's done (and thus the cost), mine (at the main) dealer goes something like this (approximately):

Yr 1 - £180, Yr 2 - £220, Yr 3 - £300, Yr 4 - £200, Yr 5 - £340, Yr 6 - £475 (iridium spark plug change time - every 75,000 miles)

I supect some of these figure will need bumping up due to inflation. Technically the iridium plugs don't 'have' to be changed at yr6, because it isn't specified at 75k OR yr6 , whichever comes first, just (for my 2005 car anyway) 75k - or by condition (they get isnpected at shorter intervals).

If it saves £100+VAT, then great. Just remember to get them done when they ARE due or need it.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - catsdad

Yes our plugs were changed having gone through 75k rather than 6 years. I always check the Mazda schedule in the car handbook and invariably the indie is spot on. Including oil spec. I assume they use a trade database of some sort to get the manufacturer service specs as they handle a range of makes.

I am 100% confident in their work.

Yes our plugs were changed having gone through 75k rather than 6 years. I always check the Mazda schedule in the car handbook and invariably the indie is spot on. Including oil spec. I assume they use a trade database of some sort to get the manufacturer service specs as they handle a range of makes.

Sounds like you've managed to source a high quality indie. Whilst it's not publicised (or probably used) very much nowadays, the HJ Good Garage Guide can be useful. You might want to consider adding your indie to that, especially as good Mazda dealers (for servicing) are a bit of a lottery in my view.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - RT

Sounds like you've managed to source a high quality indie. Whilst it's not publicised (or probably used) very much nowadays, the HJ Good Garage Guide can be useful. You might want to consider adding your indie to that, especially as good Mazda dealers (for servicing) are a bit of a lottery in my view.

I've never rated HJ's Good Garage Guide - in my area, all the local cowboys are on it and my trusted indie isn't.

<< I've never rated HJ's Good Garage Guide - in my area, all the local cowboys are on it and my trusted indie isn't. >>

Many years ago I added my (previous) trusted indie to HJ's G-G-G. That indie gave up servicing work about 5 years ago; I have passed that info to this website twice, but he is still there (just checked). I doubt whether his presence brought him any more work.

Mazda - Dealership Experience - Xileno

I forwarded your email on and it was acknowledged with thanks. Sorry there's nothing more I can do, Backroom moderators do not have admin access to that part of the site.

I've never rated HJ's Good Garage Guide - in my area, all the local cowboys are on it and my trusted indie isn't.

It could be (as I alluded to) that the HJ people haven't updated that part of the site, especially to weedle out fake reviews by people working at dodgy outfits trying to drum up business. Review sites in general have double the problem because rivals or even customers can post unfair critical reviews out of spite or to push trade elsewhere.

I suspect it would help if this site was more popular and thus could generate more reviews and to *somehow* have them authenticated.

It's one of the reasons why I haven't been able to source a local indie to look after my car, as there aren't any reviews here and external review sites look like they show quite a few fake reviews, or at least not of any use to me.