What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Yaris - Use a car cover, or not? - Rerepo

My wife and I split our year between Thailand, Spain and the UK (we don't work - we have a residential property portfolio in UK). We have a car in each country. In about three weeks' time we will be leaving Thailand to spend early summer at our villa in Mojacar. Now previously when I have laid up my car in Thailand (usually for four months) I have just disconnected the battery and inflated the tyres to 40psi. The car is parked on a covered parking deck at our condominium. Its sheltered from the sun and rain, but open to the air. The area is kept very clean by a team of cleaners. Normally on my return there is a thick layer of sticky dust on the car - so its straight off for a valet. But no other problems.

With the new Toyota I have just purchased the dealer gave me a Toyota-branded fitted car cover. Its silver on the outside and has a soft lining on the inside. I am wondering whether I should use it or not. I have read that car covers can damage the paint. Any experience of this?

Toyota Yaris - Use a car cover, or not? - craig-pd130

The cover shouldn't scratch / damage the paint, providing that the paint is clean and dry when you put the cover on. If there is dirt on the paint and the cover slides across the dirt, it could cause scratching.

Having said that, it's worth looking at the average humidity levels while the car isn't being used: if it's very high during the months you are away then it may be better to let the car get dusty without the cover on, so that moisture doesn't get trapped.

Toyota Yaris - Use a car cover, or not? - Andrew-T

Having said that, it's worth looking at the average humidity levels while the car isn't being used: if it's very high during the months you are away then it may be better to let the car get dusty without the cover on, so that moisture doesn't get trapped.

I wonder if anyone makes a car cover in Gore-Tex [TM] ??

Toyota Yaris - Use a car cover, or not? - Rerepo

Thanks for the replies.

The car stays in Thailand where average temperature is around 30 deg and its pretty humid. Also our condo is less than 1km from the sea. Cars don't seem to rust though. Our villa in Spain is also close to the sea and I notice much more rust evident on old cars there... not sure why.

Anyway, I'll probably not use the cover. The dealer supposedly included a 'glass coating' as part of the deal and also additional rustproofing under the car (a kind of thin black wax - probably doesn't really need it).

Toyota Yaris - Use a car cover, or not? - Brit_in_Germany

A cover in a dusty garage may make sense but outside the wind would cause it to rub on the car, hence the risk to the paintwork.

Toyota Yaris - Use a car cover, or not? - focussed

I kept a spare car in our barn over winter a few years ago and covered it with a cheap cover to stop it getting covered with pine tree dust which blows in under the roof sheet joints, I looked under the cover after a few weeks and found the car was wringing wet with condensation so off it came.