What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
20 old car features I miss - Steveieb

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/lists/20-old-car-features-we-miss/

Top of the list for me is the cramped cabin accommodation on new cars bought about by safety legislation.

Stop start I hate.

and electric handbrakes.

The list goes on and on !

20 old car features I miss - RichT54

Do I miss the 20 old car features as described in the linked article?

Ignition Keys - no.
Tall tyre sidewalls - yes.
Great visibility - yes.
Turbo lag - no.
Switches - yes.
Clear instruments - yes.
Fresh air vents - no.
Manual handbrake levers - no.
Suspension travel - yes.
Plush seats - yes.
Unusual gearshifts - no.
Spare wheels - yes.
Manual windows - no.
Removable stereo faces - no.
Box arches - no.
Detailed brochures - yes.
Modest in-car lighting - yes.
Pop-up headlights - no.
Mechanical noises - no.
Cheerful colours and trim - no.

20 old car features I miss - Ethan Edwards

I miss the fly off handbrake. As fitted to the 1963 Ford Corsair 1500 deluxe.

20 old car features I miss - Xileno

Regarding tyre sidewalls, I was walking through town earlier and saw a Velar - nothing particularly special about that - but what stuck out was it on on really deep profile tyres. It looked almost a bit odd as most seem to be on 22 inch rubber band tyres.

20 old car features I miss - badbusdriver

Regarding tyre sidewalls, I was walking through town earlier and saw a Velar - nothing particularly special about that - but what stuck out was it on on really deep profile tyres. It looked almost a bit odd as most seem to be on 22 inch rubber band tyres.

I have a couple of customers with Evoque's and noticed the same, very tall (for this day and age) sidewalls on relatively small diameter wheels.

Regarding features on old cars I miss, opening quarter lights. I had these on my Lada, brilliant!.

20 old car features I miss - RT

I have a couple of customers with Evoque's and noticed the same, very tall (for this day and age) sidewalls on relatively small diameter wheels.

The Velar and Evoque may have been on winter wheels/tyres - when using a separate set of wheels, it's normal to use the smallest rim that will fit over the front brakes and then a higher profile tyre to restore the rolling radius to standard.

20 old car features I miss - Big John

Regarding features on old cars I miss, opening quarter lights. I had these on my Lada, brilliant!.

Ah yes indeed - had opening quarterlights on a Morris 1000 years ago.

Another favourite for me in some older cars was a floor mounted headlight dip switch.

Yes I remember both those features on my Mum's Volvo Amazon. I suppose these things have gone out due to cost. Anything that adds to the build will incur the wrath of the accountants.

20 old car features I miss - edlithgow

Other Lada things I miss are a starting handle. (negligable additional complexity for the functionality, but they still took it out of the Mk2 due to emulating Western Decadence), a vernier to give you fine adjustment of the static timing, manual timing chain tensioner (less to go wrong), manual drum brake adjustment, (automatic adjusters DO NOT WORK) fuel tank drain plug (though Skywing has that too) good ground clearance, robust suspension, comprehensive tool kit, and RWD.

Was a bit heavy, but that can be an asset when driving through a Ford Fiesta.

20 old car features I miss - Engineer Andy

Indeed - they were on my old 96N 3dr Micra for the rear passengers - I didn't realise it had the feature for a couple of years or so until my elderly neighbour told me (he had one as well)! Given my car (and his) didn't have A/C, it was a handy feature to increase (coling) airflow (discharge points) when I was out and about in hot weather.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 28/03/2022 at 12:47

20 old car features I miss - bathtub tom

I miss the fly off handbrake. As fitted to the 1963 Ford Corsair 1500 deluxe.

That can be simply resolved, I did on a Fiat Panda and KIA Pride. Although it does tend to flummox MOT testers.

20 old car features I miss - Alby Back
Rear wheel drive, ok my car is, but many (most?) aren’t now. You wouldn’t pull a wheelbarrow now would you?
;-)
20 old car features I miss - Trilogy.
Rear wheel drive, ok my car is, but many (most?) aren’t now. You wouldn’t pull a wheelbarrow now would you? ;-)

Eminently sensible thing to do.

Sorry - must be having a dumb day. What is a fly off handbrake?

20 old car features I miss - Ethan Edwards

OK it's a handle under the dash. You pull it out and it ratchet holds in an out position. The handbrake is on. Get in the car slightly twist the handle and the handle springs back into the dash. It's now off. Difficult to explain but it was just a more tactile pleasant thing to use.

Ah thanks. I think I visualise it. A bit like the Renault 4?

OK it's a handle under the dash. You pull it out and it ratchet holds in an out position. The handbrake is on. Get in the car slightly twist the handle and the handle springs back into the dash. It's now off. Difficult to explain but it was just a more tactile pleasant thing to use.

Also, it's a handbrake that you pull up and press the button to lock on. To release it, you apply pressure upwards and let go, hence fly-off. Useful in certain sporting applications. IIRC, I first came across one on an MGA.

20 old car features I miss - UCB
We had a similar handbrake on our Honda FRV. It was a pull out handle from the dash to engage then press a button on the side and pull slightly back to release. Thus the central area was free as there was three full size seats abreast up front (plus three in the rear) . The handbrake was easy to operate and get used to although I had to explain it to the MOT tester on a couple of occasions. As for the car, it was brilliant, a clever use of space that we nicknamed the Tardis! We ran it for six years from three year old to 125k.
20 old car features I miss - Andrew-T

Get in the car slightly twist the handle and the handle springs back into the dash. It's now off.

I remember seeing those, never had one. I'm sure they are fine as long as they don't start to fly off unattended after years of use and wear.

20 old car features I miss - Warning

Pop-up radio antenna - yes/no
changeable radio - yes
lightweight cars - YES YES YES
chrome bumpers - yes
Real engine noise - yes / no

glass headlights - yes (rarther then the plastic one which become frosted over time)

Edited by Warning on 31/03/2022 at 18:10

20 old car features I miss - expat

Headlight bulbs you could quickly and easily change without removing big chunks of the front of the car.

Spare parts that were cheap - headlights again

Big solid steel bumpers

20 old car features I miss - _

Don't miss any of the things.

Happy with the modern car that doesn't break down

20 old car features I miss - paul 1963

I miss proper cellulose paint, modern stuff is just so soft.

20 old car features I miss - sammy1

The nodding dog on the parcel shelf. Hours spent getting rid of rust and copious amounts of body filler. Dynamos that give up the ghost. Poor quality rubber hoses that sprung leaks. The parking light on the wind up windows and you had to park on the right side of the road. The stating handle that would sometimes give you a hard kick! The pushing and jumping in to bump start!

The nodding dog on the parcel shelf.

That was a rather naff ad for an insurance company ?

20 old car features I miss - Bromptonaut

That was a rather naff ad for an insurance company ?

It was but it was a throwback reference to a parcel shelf 'ornament' that was popular in the sixties.

you had to park on the right side of the road.

Strictly speaking, you still do, but it never seems to be enforced.

20 old car features I miss - Bolt

The starting handle that would sometimes give you a hard kick!

Only if your thumb was on the wrong side of the handle which most people did wrong and often got the kickback

apart from that, I do not miss the old cars 60s 70s 80s most were more trouble than they were worth IMO, apart from the fact they kept you in work.... only good part of them I think.

The starting handle that would sometimes give you a hard kick!

Only if your thumb was on the wrong side of the handle which most people did wrong and often got the kickback

The point of holding the handle with your thumb the same side as your fingers was that if it did kick back you lessened the chance of a broken thumb. I know someon who failed to do this recently - he ended up breaking his wrist!

Don't miss any of the things.

Happy with the modern car that doesn't break down

Ah yes, I have heard of the modern car of which you speak.

Oh wait..my mistake.

It was the modern car that can't be fixed when it breaks down.

Think I heard of it on here.

Lots of times.

There's one at the top of Technical Matters right now.

Must be modern because it says "Eco" on it.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/03/2022 at 10:30

20 old car features I miss - Falkirk Bairn

Filling my 8 gallon tank for under £2.00 (24p per gallon 4 star 1966)

20 old car features I miss - Crickleymal

Foot operated parking brakes. I don't miss at all. I had one in a Citroen XM. Lovely car apart from the parking brake. You pushed down the pedal with your left foot to apply the brake, the release was a handle on the dash. Which was fine until the cable to the handle broke. It was supposed to be a really tricky repair, involving feeding the new cable and trunking (you had to buy the whole assembly) through the dashboard then round the engine. Such that a lot of garages refused to do it. I got a bit of bike brake cable. Threaded it through the old trunking and fitted screw on clamps to either end. Not perfect but workable. Saved hundreds.

Interestingly when the London to Sydney rally was re run it was the Hillman Hunter that again came in first.

The driver and navigator were both mechanics and they carried essential spares so that they were able to fix this simple car without having too wait for helicopter rescue !

Interestingly when the London to Sydney rally was re run it was the Hillman Hunter that again came in first.

The driver and navigator were both mechanics and they carried essential spares so that they were able to fix this simple car without having too wait for helicopter rescue !

Not according to Wikipedia - the original 1968 event was won by a Hillman Hunter but successive re-runs were won by Mercedes-Benz 280E (1977), Porsche 911 (1993), Ford Capri (2000), Honda Integra (2004), Datsun 260Z (2014) and Skoda Octavia (2019)

The original winner, Andrew Cowan, did use the same Hillman Hunter in the 1993 re-run but finished 67th.

Still in Mercedes until recently. Never had an issue with the operated parking brake in mine.

20 old car features I miss - SLO76
Mechanical simplicity - I despise the fear induced by most modern cars as they get past 6/7yrs of age. Crippling repair costs thanks to grossly overpriced parts and overcomplexity put me right off many modern cars.

Steering feel - This is a biggie for me, I really miss the feel of a hydraulic power steering rack. Ford knew a thing or two about this in the 90’s and Peugeot and Renault were top of the game at the time too. Take a spin in a Mk I Ford Focus or a Puma after running around in your electric power steering equipped modern car and you’ll remember what it should feel like.

Supple suspension - Why do modern cars have to have suspension akin to an F1 car? If I wanted brick hard suspension I’ll buy a sports car, not the ordinary family cars I typically look at. I’ve driven many a modern family car and I’m horrified by the painted on tyres and bone rattling ride quality. The Mk I Ford Mondeo managed brilliant handling and a comfortable ride, why does my colleagues Mk IV Mondeo Titanium (the luxury model?) almost knock my teeth out whenever I drive it, ditto the Mk I Insignia diesel SRi another friend has. Both ride like a road roller. I loved the way any of the following would flow down a twisting road Mk I Mondeo, Mk I Renault Laguna, Peugeot 306/405/406. The equivalent Citroens (BX, CX, XM, Xantia and Mk I C5) were wonderfully comfortable and still drove very well but they felt a bit too floaty to be fun to me. The Renault Safrane was a true armchair on wheels compared to the overly firm modern so-called luxury motors.
20 old car features I miss - Warning

I’m horrified by the painted on tyres and bone rattling ride quality.

I had a 2003 family hatchback, which was wonderful to drive. Then got the 2005 model only to find the ride to be harsh. They changed something in the revision.

I am trying to get a 2017 / 2018 car but have been confused what to replace it with.... All the problems you describe stop me buying a newer car. The overpriced cars on sale since Covid have put me off too....

The equivalent Citroens (BX, CX, XM, Xantia and Mk I C5) were wonderfully comfortable and still drove very well but they felt a bit too floaty to be fun to me.

These are a different kettle of fish though thanks to the hydraulic suspension.

I had a 2003 family hatchback, which was wonderful to drive. Then got the 2005 model only to find the ride to be harsh. They changed something in the revision.

Rather vague, some reason you don't want to say what it was?.

(Sorry - must be having a dumb day. What is a fly off handbrake?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I am aware, this is just an 'umbrella' handbrake.

A fly off handbrake is as described by bathtub tom, for motorsport applications.

SLO this synopsis of where we are in the motoring world is IMHO brilliant!

This crystallises my thoughts perfectly and I wonder if there is a truly modern car which incorporates the features you mention ?

20 old car features I miss - SLO76

“I wonder if there is a truly modern car which incorporates the features you mention ?”

I can’t think of one.

20 old car features I miss - Big John
Mechanical simplicity
Steering feel - This is a biggie for me,
Supple suspension - Why do modern cars have to have suspension akin to an F1 car?

I so agree with the above although I'd add something like operational simplicity to that list -why is there such an obsession with screen size - bring back buttons, knobs & dials!

My previous Superb mk1 and Octavia mk1 ticked most of the above boxes but the recent versions of the same most certainly do not! I will never own a car where basic functions are controlled only by the big magic screen!

Re Supple suspension - I think some of this is because of the trend for lower and lower profiled tyres as Original Equipment. My 2014 mkII Superb poverty has higher profile tyres(205/55/R16) and the ride is still rather good. It's not as mechanically simple though with turbo, high pressure pump, direct injection, stop/start and LED rear lights. Physically small engine so lot's of access if needed - saying that no issues thus far(100k miles).

Anything new also now has all sorts of other complicated gubbins - radar, SOS, particulate filter (petrol and diesel now) . Fine if you are running whilst in warranty but not so good for long term ownership.

Edited by Big John on 28/03/2022 at 22:25

20 old car features I miss - Smileyman

car without power steering - not miss

cool air vent to face whilst heated air to windscreen / feet - miss

ignition key under handbrake - open

ignition button on dashboard - open

foot operated parking brake - not miss

opening quarter windows on front doors - miss

car without aircon - pleased to miss

crank handle to use if flat battery - not miss

car with key used to lock / unlock doors - not miss

Cars that have OEM tyres where replacing them does not cost (in today's money) three figures each to replace.

There are so many variations on sidewall height, diameter and width now that there are precious few 'common' tyres left, mostly those fitted to cars like mine that are in the age range 10-20 years old and mid to lower spec cars and car sized vans.

Similar to that, the 16in OEM rims on mine cost ~£160 each to replace, not that far off the cost of 17in rims. The 15in ones cost ~£85 each.

I had one leaking tyre due to a corroded/mis-shaped OEM 16in wheel, and all 4 tyres were within a year of needing replacement anyway, so for not much more than the cost of replacing 4 tyres and 1 wheel (the other 3 were corroding quite a bit and may well have caused the same problems in short order), I replaced all 4 wheels and tyres with 15in equivalent OEMs - including fitting and disposal.

Better ride (also less stress on the suspension, making that last longer), mpg (10mm narrower tyres) at the same point in their life than the previous set, handling barely different (if at all), better in the wet and hopefully (not tested yet) snow/ice (going from summer to CC+ all season tyres).

Motoring consumables used to be cheap (even taking into account the current situation), not any more for newer cars.

The other feature I'd miss on new cars is the cheap-to-replace (and often easy, mostly on Japanese cars) headlamp bulbs. It appears that most LED light clusters cost a fortune, mostly because they are unique to each car. All for show - any reason why they couldn't have just replaced one bulb type for another?

20 old car features I miss - Bilboman

I miss the proper four beam flash of some sporty and vaguely upmarket cars of the 70s and 80s, before lighting trends changed. Come back Avenger GT and Mk 2 Capris and Marinas, all is forgiven!

Edited by Bilboman on 29/03/2022 at 14:10

20 old car features I miss - groaver

I don't miss cigarette lighters and ashtrays in cars.

I miss the proper four beam flash of some sporty and vaguely upmarket cars of the 70s and 80s, before lighting trends changed. Come back Avenger GT and Mk 2 Capris and Marinas, all is forgiven!

The MK1 (certain versions) and MK3 (all of them I think) Capri's had dual headlights, but as far as I know, the MK2 never had them.

I can find pics of some Marina's with extra grill mounted (square) lamps inboard of the (round) headlights, but I think this must have a period option on all Marina's as there are plenty pictures of both Coupe and TC with just the two main headlight units.

You probably would if you smoked though ;-)

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/03/2022 at 18:08

20 old car features I miss - galileo

The MK1 (certain versions) and MK3 (all of them I think) Capri's had dual headlights, but as far as I know, the MK2 never had them.

I can find pics of some Marina's with extra grill mounted (square) lamps inboard of the (round) headlights, but I think this must have a period option on all Marina's as there are plenty pictures of both Coupe and TC with just the two main headlight units.

Lots of things plug into the lighter socket, phone chargers, inspection lamps, satnavs, so teh lighter socket has its uses.

20 old car features I miss - primus 1

Not sure how old some of you guys are and how far back your motoring memories are, but I don’t miss anything about the cars I used to have, I love the modern features on cars, including the safety systems, when I passed my test in 1980, my first car was a 69 mini, don’t get me wrong , I loved it, ( you never forget your first car) but buying and trying to fit a new radio was a bit of a mare, I discovered it was positive earth and did something to change it, ( can’t remember) , so no, I have no nostalgia for older cars give me a modern,safe,comfortable car any day…

Lots of things plug into the lighter socket, phone chargers, inspection lamps, satnavs, so teh lighter socket has its uses.

Pretty sure most cars still have the socket, just not the lighter (that includes my 2010 VW Caddy van).

Proper wing mirrors, that is mirrors mounted on the wings, not the door mirrors that so many mis-name.

20 old car features I miss - focussed

Proper wing mirrors, that is mirrors mounted on the wings, not the door mirrors that so many mis-name.

Why on earth do you miss mirrors mounted on the wings?

Tiny little mirror 3 feet in front of you that you couldn't adjust easily to show what you needed to show.

Tiny little mirror 3 feet in front of you that you couldn't adjust easily to show what you needed to show.

Proper wing mirrors are more in your normal line of sight, particularly passenger side.

I adjusted my mirrors 6 years ago when I bought the car - why would I need to keep adjusting them?

Some were a nightmare to fit and adjust as well, we had to drill the hole in the wing, usually because the hole cutter was being used by another mech, and some put in the wrong place so had to fill the hole and start again, no Im pleased they went over to door mirrors much easier...lol

Thinking of fitting some.

Since the bonnet was damaged there's a bit of a gap which I might be able to fill with a bar to carry some scooter mirrors (not necessarily full Quadrophenia Array Mode, which might attract unwelcome attention, probably just a couple) and maybe an LED light bar.

Completely illegal of course, but enforcement isn't very tight

I love the modern features on cars, including the safety systems ... I have no nostalgia for older cars, give me a modern, safe, comfortable car any day…

Not sure how one would 'miss' a missing safety system, except by worrying about whether it is actually in working order. Also not sure that modern cars are necessarily comfortable, in view of the regular comments about excessively firm ride caused by the fashion for low-profile tyres.

Various cars from the last century, which mostly ran on high-profile tyres, were well regarded for the comfort of their seating - I would mention the Pug 205 and the Fiat Punto. But every new model has a redesigned interior, which has to look more 'modern' than its predecessor, which quite often means a step backwards in comfort.

Indeed - the cigar(ette) lighter is vital for me when I go on longer trips where my phone (at least the middle one did) will discharge the battery in about 3-4 hrs or so when in active (connected to the internet for live traffic) in satnav mode, e.g. to the West Country on holiday , which for me is a 7 hr+ trip.

My 16yo car has no USB or 12V port for recharging, so (with adapter) I have to use the cigar lighter. Not sure if more modern cars' power outlets are better (quicker) at charging such phones, given it takes far longer to charge my phone by plugging it into one of my PC's USB ports than via the adpter to the wall outlet.

One thing I DO miss even for my 'older' car is the lack of defined storage for either CDs and/or cassette tapes (which dad's old Fords from the 1980s had), as my car has both a CD (with MP3 capability via burnt-on data CDs) and a casette player, so I have to dump them all in the centre console box (armrest).

I miss choice of colour, inside and out.

Agreed - I've always disliked black interiors but it's increasingly difficult to avoid it - even premium brands seem to have dropped interior colour choices.

Agreed - I've always disliked black interiors but it's increasingly difficult to avoid it - even premium brands seem to have dropped interior colour choices.

...and lighter colours are far better at reflecting heat from the sun and thus don't get scorching hot to the touch on a summer's day.

One other older feature I miss is the dashboard top centre shelf. Handy. Some (more practical) cars occasionally still have one, but most don't these days.

20 old car features I miss - Bilboman

Whoops, I meant Mk. 3 Capri. Quite a few late model (pre-black bumpers) and all of the final iteration of (black bumper/pre-Ital) Marinas had the grille-mounted auxiliary lights. (Something about pigs and lipstick...) An extra pair of lights was a frequent marketing gimmick to get the otherwise unimpressed car buyer to give many cars a second glance, as if the car suddenly became sportier or could be driven twice as fast at night.
Having said that, a few cars' looks were likely improved with the "four eye" treatment, e.g. Singer Chamois/Sunbeam Stiletto, Hunter GLS, BMW E21, Vauxhall VX 4/90 (final "FE" range)

I suppose the flip side is "What new car features do, or might, I like?"

Can't think of ANY that I've heard of. Maybe some exist that I havn't

I suppose on-board diagnostics maybe (though by all accounts it seems to be frequently Delphic and unhelpful, and requires expensive kit to fully exploit) but that is pretty much inseperable from electronic management, which I feel is best avoided.

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Reliability.

Simplicity i.e. the lack of unnecessary, complex technology.

What am I missing?

Reliability.

Plenty of 20+ year old cars are at least as reliable as a new car. In fact, I'd probably have more faith in the reliability of a well looked after 20 year old Land Rover Discovery than a new one!

By the time you've added infotainment systems just about every car before will be more reliable.

What am I missing?

Reliability.

Can't see that.

OK, admittedly right now I have an issue with the second hand alternator I bought, which seems to have failing bearings, and probably did when I bought it.

That seems to be a result of age and wear rather than design.

A modern car has an alternator with bearings too, and these bearings can fail, but it also has a lot of other stuff that can fail that I don't seem to need or want.

My current car doesn't have: points, condenser, rotor arm, distributor cap, distributor, carburettor (no blocked jets), dynamo, mechanical voltage/current regulator, vacuum wipers.............................................

My current car doesn't have: points, condenser, rotor arm, distributor cap, distributor, carburettor (no blocked jets), dynamo, mechanical voltage/current regulator, vacuum wipers.............................................

I have all those apart from the last three. I can see them, touch them, take them apart, fettle them, I mostly understand them, and, as long as I can get them, I can replace them cheaply.

Thus I don't find them a problem. Since I'm having trouble with my alternator, I'd quite like a dynamo if I could get one that would fit. My electrical needs are light, and could be made lighter with some Cheapo Chinese LED lights.

In the case of the first 5, if I ever teach myself to solder properly I have a 10 quid Maplins Electronic (transistor assisted points) Ignition kit I could use to drag them unwillingly into the second half of the 20th century.

No rush.

if I ever teach myself to solder properly I have a 10 quid Maplins Electronic (transistor assisted points) Ignition kit I could use to drag them unwillingly into the second half of the 20th century.

They were popular for a while, but they failed more often than the points needed adjustment without it. maybe because they suffered dry joints(never found out) if you do use it let us know if it does fail....

best unit was Lumenition, infra red beam with chopper, they lasted a while and some are still going that I have seen at car shows

I do not miss the older cars, even though I enjoyed the challenge of working on some, but now, my body joints wouldn`t allow me to reach some parts of a car, just bending under the bonnet now gives me backache unfortunately. thats life....

Edited by Bolt on 04/04/2022 at 06:21

20 old car features I miss - madf

Opening front windscreen

Leafspring gaiters

Luvax Bijur automatic chassi oiling system

Air vents by your feet for hot weather.

Thermosiphon cooling system

Automatic built in car jacks

Wooden floors

Magnetos and advance/retard lever on steering wheel.

Inflatable seat cushions,

Radiator mascot and lights on top of sidelights so you can steer the car easily by them.

Drum brakes operated by roods: the built in ability to get brake fade on a long descent makes you realise why you need a front opening windscreen.

Semaphore indicators .

Had all of them in cars I owned as a young man. Miss them all - like a bad smell (lots of that with brake fade)

Opening front windscreen

Leafspring gaiters

Luvax Bijur automatic chassi oiling system

Air vents by your feet for hot weather.

Thermosiphon cooling system

Automatic built in car jacks

Wooden floors

Magnetos and advance/retard lever on steering wheel.

Inflatable seat cushions,

Radiator mascot and lights on top of sidelights so you can steer the car easily by them.

Drum brakes operated by roods: the built in ability to get brake fade on a long descent makes you realise why you need a front opening windscreen.

Semaphore indicators .

Had all of them in cars I owned as a young man. Miss them all - like a bad smell (lots of that with brake fade)

Quite a few of those sound potentially useful. Wooden floors, for example, won't rust.

Admittedly brake fade isn't a good thing.

I can't see why rod actuation would make brakes hotter, but if they do get very hot, at least you won't be boiling your brake rods in a hurry.

One 'feature' I would NEVER miss are the plastic seat covers. Man did they get hot in summer. Out come the towels to protect us from getting burned.

I used to sneer at “the wife insisted” jive, especially if/when coming from a guy spending his own money.

BUT yesterday I test drove a 30 year old Datsun 330 pickup truck, my Taiwan dream car, though this was a pretty rough example and ran like a bag of bolts, the seller claiming it hadn’t been started for a month or three.

Quarter lights, wing mirrors…my hearts in pain…

Still sorely tempted, BUT foreigners can’t register trucks so it would have had to be registered in the GF’s name, who was NOT keen.

Perhaps if I had grovelled more…

So the Skywing gets a stay of execution, though its been trying my patience with alternator screech lately.

Adjustable headrests/restraints instead of the cheap, fixed, claustrophobic fittings of today.

Adjustable headrests/restraints instead of the cheap, fixed, claustrophobic fittings of today.

That isn't just an older car feature. Our previous car, a (2017) Honda Jazz, had front headrests adjustable for both height and angle. I think the (2014) Hyundai i30 before that did too.

In fact, I can't actually think of a car we've had (the biggest of which would be the i30 followed by a Meriva) in the last 23 years with fixed headrests?.

That isn't just an older car feature. Our previous car, a (2017) Honda Jazz, had front headrests adjustable for both height and angle. I think the (2014) Hyundai i30 before that did too.

In fact, I can't actually think of a car we've had (the biggest of which would be the i30 followed by a Meriva) in the last 23 years with fixed headrests?.

Many drivers think they're head rests - they aren't, they're head restraints designed to give some protection to the neck in a rear-end collision - in normal driving your head shouldn't be touching the head restraint, so adjustability is superfluous.

20 old car features I miss - sammy1

Manual choke ever pulled the cable through or regulated the speed when cold? car would go faster on choke when starting off

Vinyl roof that faded or peeled

The DIY reversing lamp controlled by a switch and not reverse gear. Would sometimes be left on and could be anything from something sensible to an outrages spotlight

Many drivers think they're head rests - they aren't, they're head restraints designed to give some protection to the neck in a rear-end collision - in normal driving your head shouldn't be touching the head restraint, so adjustability is superfluous.

Many passengers realise they're headrests - because they are. They'll have provided a comfortable place to rest a weary head on many a long journey.

Tell the designers who were at Saab that making head restraints/rests adjustable was superfluous. I expect you'd get short shrift.

Many passengers realise they're headrests - because they are. They'll have provided a comfortable place to rest a weary head on many a long journey.

Tell the designers who were at Saab that making head restraints/rests adjustable was superfluous. I expect you'd get short shrift.

Even if you consider their purpose solely as head restraints, any adjustability is most certainly not superfluous. In order to provide the best protection in the event of a rear end collision, the restraint needs to be in a particular position relative to the head and neck of the seat occupant. People are all different shapes and sizes, so adjustability is key to making them work properly.