Crunch the numbers ! - GraF

I am sitting watching the F1 qualifying and I thought maybe their are some very clever people out their that can help me crunch some numbers

Do I go for an older C-Max or a new Dacia Logan

Presumptions !

I want to choose one of these cars...so dont need persuading to go for another car

Both cars we will presume have good SH and 12 months mot etc

If I buy the C-Max I have the cash, if I buy the Logan I will have to get a car loan !!

So over 2 years and under the current climate what do you think makes sense

Ford CMax 1.8

--------------------

Cost £2000 Fuel Cost/Yr £1,286 Car Tax £250 1st Years Cost £3,536. 2nd Year £1,536

Ford CMax 1.8 Tdci

-------------------------

Cost £2000 Fuel Cost/Yr £955 Car Tax £170 1st Years Cost £3,125. 2nd Year £1,125

Dacia Logan 0.9 Petrol

-------------------------------

Cost £5000 Fuel Cost/Yr £818 Car Tax £20 1st Years Cost £5838. 2nd Year £838

Dacia Logan 1.5dci

-------------------------

Cost £4500 Fuel Cost/Yr £734 Car Tax £0 1st Years Cost £5234. 2nd Year £734

Thanks a bunch

Edited by GraF on 19/03/2022 at 14:38

Crunch the numbers ! - _

your choice, avoid the 0.9tce renault engine..

The dci is good if maintained correctly.

The ford can cost you a lot more than the fuel savings if you buy the diesel and there is a problem.

Crunch the numbers ! - Terry W

This is more about risk than financial analysis.

A £2k Ford will likely be at least 12 years old with 100k+ on the clock. It may still be worth £1500 in 2 years time if MoT'd and running smoothly. Or all £2k may be lost due to expensive failures.

Dacia probably 3-5 years old with 20-40k. A couple of years use is unlikely to generate major repair costs, and a future value in 2 years time may be around £3500.

Summary - possibly not much difference financially:

• Dacia cost over 2 years ~£800 pa running cost + ~£1500 depreciation = £3100
  • Ford cost at best ~£1300 pa running cost + ~£500 depreciation = £3100

The Dacia is much less likely to suffer terminal failure which would add £1500+ to the cost of the Ford.

There may be some differences in insurance costs, interest on loans, servicing and minor replacements (Ford likely higher than Dacia). You may want to refine this.

Were it me - I would go for the Dacia as the costs are more predictable, lower risk, less likely to need unexpected days off road.

Crunch the numbers ! - daveyK_UK
Hi,
am I correct to assume you are outside the UK as the Dacia Logan hasn’t been sold as a new vehicle for over a year?

Crunch the numbers ! - GraF

No. I am in the uk I would be looking at around a 2016 model

Crunch the numbers ! - Alby Back
Start from “what would I like best” and see if you can make it work.
Crunch the numbers ! - SLO76
When shopping on a tight budget like this you need to cast the net wide to find a good car. Don’t restrict yourself to just two cars. That said, I’d advise spending the greater amount and I’d look also at newer C-Max 1.6 petrols (forget the ecoboost and diesels) which can be had for around £5k. The Logan can be a perfectly decent little family car in 1.2 petrol (if you’ve plenty of time) or 1.5 diesel form. Both are robust if looked after but the 0.9 TCe isn’t well regarded unfortunately.