What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Ethan Edwards

Interesting video from carwow , how easy it is to kill the range of your EV by doing real world stuff.

youtu.be/mmQJUW-VyRY

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 25/02/2022 at 21:51

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - SLO76
Same running gear as SWMBO’s new VW ID3. I imagine it’ll be quite lively on the road with less weight to haul around.
Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Bolt
Same running gear as SWMBO’s new VW ID3. I imagine it’ll be quite lively on the road with less weight to haul around.

Its designed to be a universal unit, though the motor itself can be upgraded according to size of vehicle its put into, battery design may change as most others will as they become more efficient.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - daveyjp

Still surprises me how many people can't yet accept that EVs are still early adopter territory.

In 1986/7 I saw my first 'mobile', owned by a builder I worked for.

It was the size and weight of about a quarter of a car battery with a handset on top and gave 20 minutes call time. I'm sure somewhere there will be a review saying mobiles will never catch on due to the shortcomings of that model.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Bromptonaut

Interesting video from carwow , how easy it is to kill the range of your EV by doing real world stuff.

youtu.be/mmQJUW-VyRY

Towing a caravan doubles your fuel consumption.

Oodathortit

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - RT

youtu.be/mmQJUW-VyRY

Towing a caravan doubles your fuel consumption.

Oodathortit

That's an anomally - with an IC car towing a caravan the fuel consumption goes up by 50% - but that energy consumption "premium" is higher with an EV as the solo energy consumption benefits from brake regeneration which is not available for caravans and trailers.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - moward

Unless the trailer itself is braked, all the kinetic energy it contains is available for the towing EV vehicle to recover as it provides braking for the whole assembly. How much can be regained will depend a lot on the drivers braking technique (slow and gradual should recover the most).

Unless the trailer itself is braked, all the kinetic energy it contains is available for the towing EV vehicle to recover as it provides braking for the whole assembly. How much can be regained will depend a lot on the drivers braking technique (slow and gradual should recover the most).

Trailers and caravans over 750 kg gross have to use automatic over-run brakes - only the very lightest trailers will be braked by the car.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - mcb100
‘Still surprises me how many people can't yet accept that EVs are still early adopter territory.’

Interesting point, but at what point did owners of petrol engined cars stop becoming early adopters?
Was it when they stopped using wooden wheels? Or gained an electric starter motor and lost a starting handle? Or able to drive a new engine normally without a strict running in procedure and a 500 mile oil change? Or at any point along the path of making cars safer? Or having multiple oil changes per year, with attendant greasing of moving parts? Over the past century, cars have got progressively more economical and cleaner - at what point did the technology become classed as ‘mature’?
Anything with two or more moving parts has scope for development and improvement, but that didn’t stop cars being bought in huge numbers earlier in their development process.

Edited by mcb100 on 26/02/2022 at 10:20

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Xileno

Many of the charging bays I've seen are for single vehicles. So if we are on a caravan trip (or towing anything for that matter) do we have to unhook, then charge the car before hooking up the caravan again? That assumes there's somewhere to park the caravan.

Many of the charging bays I've seen are for single vehicles. So if we are on a caravan trip (or towing anything for that matter) do we have to unhook, then charge the car before hooking up the caravan again? That assumes there's somewhere to park the caravan.

One caravanner I know of on a different forum takes his caravan into the normal car park, unhitches it and moves car to charger, with the opposite when charging is finished - that wouldn't do for me.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - daveyjp
Cars are no different to any product. Once the product offers benefits to a consumer at an affordable price it becomes mainstream.

For cars it was about 50 years from 1900, accepting the wars had a massive impact on progress.

The likes of Ford, GM, Toyota haven’t really shown their hands in terms of their EV products.
Cars are no different to any product. Once the product offers benefits to a consumer at an affordable price it becomes mainstream. For cars it was about 50 years from 1900, accepting the wars had a massive impact on progress. The likes of Ford, GM, Toyota haven’t really shown their hands in terms of their EV products.

Toyota and Renault are working on Hydrogen fuelled engines (not fuel cell) as they are of the opinion that all electric will not be as popular, (or at least people will have a choice) as with petrol and diesel now- some people don`t want all electric so the engine is not dead yet a while

Renault have also stated that they’ll be all electric by 2030, with something like 30 new EV models due by then.
Toyota are working to similar volumes of launches and timescale.
Vauxhall are aiming all electric by 2028.
However much you want to fill a car with hydrogen, that ship has sailed. 14 hydrogen filling stations in the UK (most are inside the M25) versus 47,000 public connections in which to plug a car, plus all the domestic and workplace points, tells us where the future lies.

Edited by mcb100 on 26/02/2022 at 12:01

However much you want to fill a car with hydrogen, that ship has sailed.

I suspect a lot of people are of the same opinion, but tech has proved many wrong over the years and doubt it will change, so I wouldn`t discount Hydrogen just yet, it might surprise a few people and we don`t know what is going on behind closed doors, especially as green Hydrogen is being researched into, ie making it easier to produce in a green way

which reminds me I gather ships and planes may be fuelled by Hydrogen so its not impossible just may take a while in R&D... so never say never

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Manatee

Heavy lorries are a challenge for pure electric. Hydrogen will likely have a role.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - bathtub tom
47,000 public connections in which to plug a car

How many of them are working at any one time? I understand that up to 50% can be out of order.

I’ve no idea where anyone would get that figure from. With multiple different providers it’d be difficult/impossible to state a national figure.
An app like Zap-Map will show whether a charge point has been reported working or not, but it’s down to individual users to feed that back. The information may be weeks old.
Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Terry W

There may be a role for hydrogen in aviation, HGVs and possibly a few other sectors - eg: road building, major construction) where electric is either not accessible or inadequate.

These needs will be covered with (probably) less than 1-300 outlets (airports, lorry parks etc) and some tankers for use on site.

I doubt they will displace EVs generally - by the time hydrogen is economically feasible and available in sufficient quantities:

- EVs will likely outnumber ICE

- the charging infrastructure which already exists will have been further upgraded

- EVs will likely reduce in price, hydrogen as a new technology will find it difficult to compete

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - Sofa Spud

It's not surprising that an electric car towing a caravan and loaded with all sorts of clobber will have a reduced range compared to when used unladen with no trailer. The same is true of petrol or diesel cars.

The useful comparison would be whether the electric car's range is reduced by a greater, equal or lesser amount than a petrol or diesel car's range.

My guess would be that an electric car might actually lose less range because it has regenerative braking, which would possibly be more effective at recharging the battery when towing a trailer/

It's not surprising that an electric car towing a caravan and loaded with all sorts of clobber will have a reduced range compared to when used unladen with no trailer. The same is true of petrol or diesel cars.

The useful comparison would be whether the electric car's range is reduced by a greater, equal or lesser amount than a petrol or diesel car's range.

My guess would be that an electric car might actually lose less range because it has regenerative braking, which would possibly be more effective at recharging the battery when towing a trailer/

EVs seem to lose more range, about 50% when towing, than ICs, about 33%.

The extra weight of the trailer is braked conventionally, not be regeneration.

Skoda Enyaq - How you can kill the range of your EV - focussed

Hydrogen as a gaseous fuel is a dead end.

Hydrogen used to combine with carbon dioxide to make a liquid fuel makes much more sense.

• Synthetic fuels: Hydrogen can be used to create e-fuels, which are generated exclusively through renewable energy. Hydrogen produced using renewable electricity is combined with carbon dioxide to form a carbon fuel with net-zero greenhouse gas emissions.

www.airbus.com/en/innovation/zero-emission/hydrogen