What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Smaller used estates - Graham992

First post..hi everyone

Looking for a list of the smallest used estate cars out there for less than £5k

Sounds odd I know, estate means big but I asking for small lol

My son is only 20 and happy with hatchbacks but he need to move gear around now so looking for the small estate cars. I know the Mk4 golf estate is small but are there any others in that sort of bracket

cheers

Edited to be clearer,ORB

Fabia estate? skoda rapid est?

Petrol, diesel, manual (don't touch the autos at that price.

Edited by _ORB_ on 17/02/2022 at 19:23

Smaller used estates - Xileno

Astra or Focus are medium sized estates, useful size without being too big. I've not checked the interior space but I think they will be similar to the Golf.

Smaller used estates - badbusdriver

First post..hi everyone

Looking for a list of the smallest used estate cars out there for less than £5k

Sounds odd I know, estate means big but I asking for small lol

My son is only 20 and happy with hatchbacks but he need to move gear around now so looking for the small estate cars. I know the Mk4 golf estate is small but are there any others in that sort of bracket

cheers

Edited to be clearer,ORB

Fabia estate? skoda rapid est?

Petrol, diesel, manual (don't toch the autos at that price.

First off, 'gear' is kind of vague, what is he moving around?.

Second, there are estate versions of pretty much every common car in the Golf class. So Ford Focus, Vauxhall Astra, Kia Ceed, Hyundai i30, Renault Megane, etc, etc.

Skoda Fabia estate is from the next size down, i.e, Polo sized. In that class there is also the Renault Clio, Seat Ibiza, Renault Clio and Peugeot 208.

There is also the MPV type cars, such as Nissan Note, Ford Fusion and B-Max, Kia Venga and Hyundai ix20.

The Skoda Rapid and its Seat Toledo twin don't come as estate's, though they do have enormous boots.

Smaller used estates - pd

Mk 3 Focus Estate would probably be my choice. They're hard to fault as an all round car to be honest.

1.6 petrol would probably be my first choice although there is nothing particularly wrong with the diesels which are excellent on fuel.

Zetec or Titanium are both fine. Base Edge is a bit miserable.

Smaller used estates - Ian D
Mk 2 or 3 Focus 1.6 petrol estate should do the job, avoid the diesels and go for a decent trim level as mentioned above
Smaller used estates - John F
Mk 2 or 3 Focus 1.6 petrol estate should do the job, avoid the diesels and go for a decent trim level as mentioned above

What about the Mk1? If he's only 20, the odds are he'll prang it, so the cheaper the better. There are still some around, e.g. our old auto estate (bombproof gearbox, predates the problematic powershift). Cheap as chips, and an auto will probably be a well looked after trade in from a pensioner.

Smaller used estates - SLO76

Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra estates are both worthy of consideration at this money. I’d forget diesels as they’re much more likely to expensively wrong and I’d avoid Fords awful Powershift autos. VAG products such as the Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza at this money are limited by engine options which mean either spending more for a later belt driven tsi petrol, taking risks with the troublesome diesels or accepting woeful performance.

Smaller used estates - catsdad

If it’s capacity he needs, rather than boxy height, he could consider a Honda Civic with magic seats. I went from the Civic to a Golf estate and the effective space for passengers and luggage is very similar.

Smaller used estates - badbusdriver

What about the Mk1? If he's only 20, the odds are he'll prang it, so the cheaper the better. There are still some around, e.g. our old auto estate (bombproof gearbox, predates the problematic powershift). Cheap as chips, and an auto will probably be a well looked after trade in from a pensioner.

As far as I can tell, the OP is not after an auto. But even if he was, £5k is not enough (going by Autotrader anyway) to land a Focus estate young enough to have a Powershift auto (unless more that 100k miles).

And while the MK1 is a good car, better in some respects than its successors, the youngest will be 17 years old. That combined with the fact that estates tend to lead a harder life, means the chances of finding one worth buying is very small (There are 4 on Autotrader nationwide).

Thanks to all, gives me something to search for.

I know he wanted something similar to the golf in that it had as low a boot as possible without becoming a van (lol )

I'll take a look at their boots heights.. cheers

Took a quick look online and the civic seems quite a good match

what about the engine. is the 2.2 I cdt a good diesel engine or one to avoid ?

thanks

Also what about the 207 SW diesel. or Renault Clio Sport tourer. diesel.. small estates.. ?

Edited by Graham992 on 19/02/2022 at 22:21

Smaller used estates - Big John

Took a quick look online and the civic seems quite a good match

what about the engine. is the 2.2 I cdt a good diesel engine or one to avoid ?

thanks

Generally at your budget I'd avoid a diesel but the 2.2 Honda was a great engine WITHOUT a DPF. Most didn't have DPF's but they crept in as DPF's became compulsory circa 2009 (& earlier!) . If it is (or was ) fitted with a DPF then NO!

Edited by Big John on 19/02/2022 at 23:55

Smaller used estates - SLO76
“ Generally at your budget I'd avoid a diesel but the 2.2 Honda was a great engine WITHOUT a DPF. Most didn't have DPF's but they crept in as DPF's became compulsory circa 2009 (& earlier!) . If it is (or was ) fitted with a DPF then NO!”

The 2.2 CTDi was sold up until 2011 and never had a DPF. The later DTEC did from 2012. It was compulsory from 2010 but some run out models were granted an extension, the Civic was one of the last diesels sold here without one. That doesn’t mean it’s a wise buy at under £5,000 however as Honda’s first diesel motor suffered plenty of expensive issues such as turbo failure, timing chain problems and fuelling issues. The 1.8 petrol is a far safer bet at this money and real life economy is only around 5mpg different. Again, don’t touch a cheap diesel, it will almost certainly be a false economy.
Smaller used estates - catsdad

I used to get 45 mpg from my 1.8 Civic, 50 on a steady run. At £5k you would probably have to settle for the last of the Mk 8s, with no rear wiper. If you could stretch to a :Mk9 then avoid one from 2012 as they have an oil consumption issue for cars built in that year. You would really struggle to get a 2013 for your budget but you might do privately. Times change but I only got £4 k for mine as a trade in when it was 7 years old in 2019.

That aside the Civic is not to everyone’s taste. It bumbles along until you rev it. Then it makes good progress. I liked this style personally but some find it slow at low revs. What really divides opinion is rear visibility with the spoiler. It never bothered me as I looked through it, not at it. Most owners don’t have an issue after a short time and the mirrors are excellent.

Thanks to the answers to my first post.

We are going to take a look at a few hatchbacks mentioned, estates and MPV's over the next week and see what fits our bill

cheers