What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - HGV ~ P Valentine

Drivers face a hat-trick of rising electric car costs (msn.com)

I was hit with a £120 parking fine while CHARGING my electric car… I couldn’t believe it (thesun.co.uk)

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - Terry W

The MSN link correctly identifies that charging will cost £200 more pa. The other two are one off subsidies - they increase the upfront cost of purchase by ~£1800 but should be spread over either the life of the car or at least the length of ownership.

Conclusion - garbage journalism.

The Sun - problem arises people were in a car park with a maximum stay (eg: 2 hours) but left the car on charge for longer. There may be a case for better signage - but having a car plugged in does not confer a right upon the owner to park for longer than allowed.

Conclusion - journalism for people without a brain

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - Ethan Edwards

Poor research on behalf of the ev owner. Last time I used a public charger like that, you had to pop to reception to register your number as a visitor. Why? To avoid the parking nazi's. Its quite common. As regards to increased charging costs...meh still way cheaper than petrol.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 15/02/2022 at 21:59

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - Engineer Andy

The MSN link correctly identifies that charging will cost £200 more pa. The other two are one off subsidies - they increase the upfront cost of purchase by ~£1800 but should be spread over either the life of the car or at least the length of ownership.

Conclusion - garbage journalism.

The Sun - problem arises people were in a car park with a maximum stay (eg: 2 hours) but left the car on charge for longer. There may be a case for better signage - but having a car plugged in does not confer a right upon the owner to park for longer than allowed.

Conclusion - journalism for people without a brain

I thought that Sun 'readers' only went there to 'look at the pictures' (if you get my drift)? :-)

In all seriousness, EV owners need to watch out at motorway service stops as they have quite high penalty charges if you overstay the (normally) 2hr FOC parking time.

I suppose the problem comes for EVs when the charger is either a slow one and/or it doesn't work properly, and no-one checks until they are ready to leave (say after having a meal, etc).

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - Gibbo_Wirral

In all seriousness, EV owners need to watch out at motorway service stops as they have quite high penalty charges if you overstay the (normally) 2hr FOC parking time.

I suppose the problem comes for EVs when the charger is either a slow one and/or it doesn't work properly, and no-one checks until they are ready to leave (say after having a meal, etc).

Yep, I've seen that a lot at motorway services over the holidays. 1 or 2 chargers not working and a queue for the remaining ones.

I can't think of anything worse that being sat in a grotty motorway services for several hours.

Yep, I've seen that a lot at motorway services over the holidays. 1 or 2 chargers not working and a queue for the remaining ones.

I can't think of anything worse that being sat in a grotty motorway services for several hours.

Imagine that when they are heaving in the school holidays on a swealtering August day and half the 'facilities' aren't working either (as usual). Urgh!

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - Andrew-T

<< I've seen that a lot at motorway services over the holidays. 1 or 2 chargers not working and a queue for the remaining ones. I can't think of anything worse that being sat in a grotty motorway services for several hours. >>

All pretty predictable really, given the novelty and the time a charge takes ?

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - sammy1

I read yesterday that some local authority had installed chargers in the local cemetery so I guess you could stay here for ever!

I read yesterday that some local authority had installed chargers in the local cemetery so I guess you could stay here for ever!

Zombie brain charging? :-)

www.motoringelectric.com/news/ev-accident-battery-.../

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - Terry W

It makes a legitimate point about paint and temperature used in a body shop for repairs.

But I am not convinced that generally there is a real cause for concern. Any damage sufficiently severe as to cause damage to battery packs is likely to cost well into 4 figures and be subject to an insurance claim.

It may be that insurance premiums reflect this risk - but it is a small part of the overall risk which includes personal injury or minor frequent shunts.

One may be equally concerned about 50L of petrol let loose in a major accident in close proximity to sparks and hot exhausts.

It makes a legitimate point about paint and temperature used in a body shop for repairs.

But I am not convinced that generally there is a real cause for concern. Any damage sufficiently severe as to cause damage to battery packs is likely to cost well into 4 figures and be subject to an insurance claim.

It may be that insurance premiums reflect this risk - but it is a small part of the overall risk which includes personal injury or minor frequent shunts.

One may be equally concerned about 50L of petrol let loose in a major accident in close proximity to sparks and hot exhausts.

Hopefully that last one is down to good engineering that it happens so infrequently these days.

I have mentioned it before, but a former colleagues Jag with magnesium and aluminium parts caught fire and disintegrated before his eyes in a few minutes on the motorway (I remember seeing the video he took using his phone) after an engine 'problem'.

Hopefully as EV tech gets more mature (especially the batteries), fires / exploding batteries won't be an issue. At least they aren't at the Ford Pinto scale of problems...

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - edlithgow

Hopefully that last one is down to good engineering that it happens so infrequently these days.

I have mentioned it before, but a former colleagues Jag with magnesium and aluminium parts caught fire and disintegrated before his eyes in a few minutes on the motorway (I remember seeing the video he took using his phone) after an engine 'problem'.

Hopefully as EV tech gets more mature (especially the batteries), fires / exploding batteries won't be an issue. At least they aren't at the Ford Pinto scale of problems...

Well, the Pinto thing is allegedly mostly a myth.

http://www.pointoflaw.com/articles/archives/000023.php

If that is true, it could easily be at the Pinto scale of problems, depending on the public appetite for the myth, and the media's motivation to provide one.

Well, the Pinto thing is allegedly mostly a myth.

http://www.pointoflaw.com/articles/archives/000023.php

If that is true, it could easily be at the Pinto scale of problems, depending on the public appetite for the myth, and the media's motivation to provide one.

Perhaps then the certain Italian supercar with a propensity to catch fire in warm, sunny weather instead? :-)

The gen-1 Leaf didn't have any active cooling for its batteries, and apparently in some hot countries has suffered from fires as a result (source: John Cadogan).

The gen-2 car does apparently have active cooling, so at least on that score they've learned their lesson - the hard way. Still, you'd think that this sort of thing would've been picked up during R&D - I mean it's not as though lithium battery fires weren't unheard of beforehand, given the problems on that score with mobile phones and laptop computers...

Electric ££££ more - Electric, more bad news - madf

The gen-2 car does apparently have active cooling, so at least on that score they've learned their lesson - the hard way. Still, you'd think that this sort of thing would've been picked up during R&D - I mean it's not as though lithium battery fires weren't unheard of beforehand, given the problems on that score with mobile phones and laptop computers...

The designers were French.

The designers were French.

You would've thought Nissan would've done things differently after their Nissan Cherry Europe experience...

French styling and handling, Japanese engineering, and not the other way around. D'Oh!