What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - Kay Driver

I can't decide which one is better, a superb estate petrol only or a plugin hybrid?

Both are less worry about range, but I am concerned about upfront cost, running cost, and maintenance costs. Insurance group and road tax is also different between the two. Upfront cost seems higher for plugin hybrid. But does it break even (battery will get worse over time especially with uk climate) ?

Does it cost more to repair a plugin hybrid because there is both engine and electric motor? With UK government setting their eyes on 2030, are we consumers forced to go electric only?

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - mcb100
The dealer should have access to a break even point in terms of mileage. They’ll be asked this on a regular basis.
There’s no reason to suspect that a battery will degrade significantly, and you’ll probably find that the hybrid elements of the car will have a longer warranty than the rest of it.
Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - RT

Does it cost more to repair a plugin hybrid because there is both engine and electric motor? With UK government setting their eyes on 2030, are we consumers forced to go electric only?

Repair costs must be higher as more complex and more things to potentially go wrong - in some usage patterns the IC engine spends less time fully warmed up, so increasing cold running wear/tear.

Problem is that the increase isn't quantifiable

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - badbusdriver

I can't decide which one is better, a superb estate petrol only or a plugin hybrid?

Can't really answer this query without more info, starting with whether or not this would be a new car?.

Both are less worry about range, but I am concerned about upfront cost, running cost, and maintenance costs. Insurance group and road tax is also different between the two.

By upfront costs, I'm assuming you mean the list price?. In which case only you can decide if it is too much for your budget. No idea what the difference between the two on maintenance costs would be, but presumably the Skoda website (or your local dealer) will be able to tell you exactly how much the service costs are on both cars. As for insurance, again no idea, but wouldn't have thought the difference between the two would be that big expressed as a percentage.

Upfront cost seems higher for plugin hybrid.

There is no 'seems' about it, PHEV's are expensive. Petrol only is going to be the cheapest option, then a (solely) self charge hybrid (not relevant in your case as you can't get a Superb with this, but just illustrating where PHEV's fall on the price ladder), then PHEV. The reason PHEV's are more expensive than self charge is because of the 'plug in' gubbins, but mainly because they have a bigger (i.e, more expensive) hybrid battery.

Does it cost more to repair a plugin hybrid because there is both engine and electric motor?

Presumably yes, but if this going to be a new car, the repair costs shouldn't be a factor till at least the warranty runs out (can you extend that?)

But does it break even?

It will, at some point. Without knowing how long you intend keeping the car, what type and length of journeys you do, whether or not you can charge at home and what type of driver you are(*), it is impossible to say when.

battery will get worse over time especially with uk climate

I wouldn't have thought battery degradation would be a factor until the car was at least 5 years old, and as the UK never gets that cold or that hot, I'm not sure what you mean re our climate?

(*) To get the best efficiency from any car, you need to drive in a smooth and relaxed manner. Driving aggressively will make a huge impact on how far the hybrid battery will take you.

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - brum

My opinion, if buying privately, Superb phev will never break even over an equivalent petrol model

Reasons being they are vastly more expensive to buy, range on battery is way too small (20 to 30miles), so pure ev mode use would be infrequent, you're unlikely to want to recharge multiple times a day, it needs more expensive servicing and maintenance has to be serviced annually, no extended servicing possible. Limited options of who can service.

Cost of domestic charging is increasing

Future value is likely to be less than a petrol equivalent.

Failure out of warranty potentially massively expensive.

Company cars drivers can however take advantage of much lower BIK. So it would probably be a better option for them.

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - Graham567

I have a Kia Xceed plug in hybrid.The main two reasons I paid more than the conventional petrol are:-

1. Smooth,totally quiet running which is a very relaxing way to drive.

2.Charging costs me only 50p to get 30 miles of range.Petrol is getting on for £6 a gallon so its costs me much less to run.

I still have the petrol engine to fall back on when longer trips are in order.Over a week of driving on holiday where I didn't plug it in at all,I still managed 80 miles to the gallon which is still pretty impressive.

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - badbusdriver

Closest petrol equivalent in terms of performance to the Superb PHEV is the 2.0TSI 190. The price list I found was on Auto Express, not sure if it is current, but the price difference as a percentage is unlikely to have changed if it isn't.

they are vastly more expensive to buy

Lowest trim level where you find both PHEV and 2.0TSI 190 is SE L. Petrol is £33855, PHEV is £39225, a difference of £5370 (roughly 16%). Not exactly loose change, but hardly qualifies as being vastly more expensive.

range on battery is way too small (20 to 30miles), so pure ev mode use would be infrequent, you're unlikely to want to recharge multiple times a day

Seriously!, how on earth do you come to that conclusion?, this is a PHEV not an EV!. A 20-30 mile electric range would cover the daily commute for the majority of the UK population. And if the electric range is not enough, guess what?, it has a petrol engine too, so why would it need to be recharged multiple times per day?. In addition, despite what some appear to think, a PHEV will recharge itself via brake regeneration in much the same way as a self charge hybrid (though having a much bigger battery it is unlikely to ever fully recharge on the road).

it needs more expensive servicing and maintenance has to be serviced annually

When buying a new Superb PHEV, you can also buy a 2 year service plan, this costs £285 plus VAT. Also, as far as I can tell, servicing is done once a year or every 18k miles, but the car's onboard computer will tell you when you need to get it done.

Limited options of who can service.

If the buying a new car, why would you choose to have it serviced anywhere other than a Skoda dealer?. Even if buying used, the Superb PHEV has only been around a couple of years and would still be under warranty, so unlikely anyone would want to have it serviced outwith the dealer network. Also, the standard warranty can be extended up to 5 years and the hybrid battery has an 8 year/100k mile warranty (whichever comes soonest).

Edited by badbusdriver on 12/02/2022 at 18:30

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - sammy1

""""Lowest trim level where you find both PHEV and 2.0TSI 190 is SE L. Petrol is £33855, PHEV is £39225, a difference of £5370 (roughly 16%). Not exactly loose change, but hardly qualifies as being vastly more expensive."""

It will take years to get back a price difference of £5K

There are a few on here who run the 1.4 or 1.5 petrol superb and find them perfectly adequate.

With the PHEV you are getting 2 drive train systems so more potential to go wrong but no worries if you are changing when warranty runs out

Unless you are concerned about city driving when a battery may be more beneficial to you then it is petrol for me, 2030 is along way off and things may well change by then

Skoda Superb Estate - Petrol or Plug-in Hybrid Superb estate? - Terry W

A PHEV will only make sense financially and environmentally if:

• it is plugged in to recharge daily
  • your pattern of use is many short trips with few long ones

For instance a 15 mile commute could mean 75 miles a week on electric power. Round up to 100 miles to cover weekend use - shopping, social etc - ~5000 miles pa.

At 40 mpg on petrol this needs 125 gallons. £7 per gallon = £875

At 4 miles per kwh needs 1250kwh. 28p per kwh (domestic from April) = £350

Saving is £525 pa. Will take 10 years or more to pay back. Possible risks of costs on more complex drivetrain. Not worth it i my view!