What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - Whichcar

Hello all,

Hoping for some advice on my dilemma.

My old car is in my mechanics garage but he's not back in work for 7 days due to getting hospital treatment. My insurer for this car has it's next months payment due in 3 days and I want to cancel the insurance before I am next charged for the next month in 3 days. My mechanic said he would take it to an ATF centre for it to be scrapped but obviously not till 7 days time. Will he have insurance to cover him to take it to be ATF? My insurance with this company is £80.00 per month. So really don't want to have to pay that.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - badbusdriver

Surely as a mechanic he has his own insurance which covers him to drive any car in relation to his work?

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s possible that it won’t be driven to the scrapyard . Many garages use friends with recovery trucks for car disposal.
Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - _

As long as it is parked on private property, you can sorn it and cancel the insuarance, and he can get it removed later.

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - daveyjp
I suspect you have a loan for your annual insurance which is £80 a month repayment. If you cancel
Mid term expect charges to be levied.

The garage should however have insurance for customers cars in their possession.
Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - HGV ~ P Valentine

The guys are right, the mechanic will be covered under the company insurance as long as he/she is doing with the company authorisation, but, the car still has to have the min legality for road safety, if not then they will likely as already stated either tow it or use a recovery vehicle.

If it is going to be off road then yes it can be sorn, but, you have to let the garage know you are going to do this because it means even the garage cannot drive it on the road after that.

If it is to be parked as per the sorn regulation, then it has to be totally private land where the public would not ordinarily have access, for example the garage can put it behind a gate in their yard, but, cannot put it in the companies customer car park with no barrier.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 15/02/2022 at 08:08

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - bathtub tom
If it is going to be off road then yes it can be sorn, but, you have to let the garage know you are going to do this because it means even the garage cannot drive it on the road after that.

Trade plates?

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - Brit_in_Germany

If it is to be parked as per the sorn regulation, then it has to be totally private land where the public would not ordinarily have access, for example the garage can put it behind a gate in their yard, but, cannot put it in the companies customer car park with no barrier.

I don't know what the basis for the above is. "OR" means "off road". The DVLA refers to a "public road" (Your vehicle is off the road if you do not keep or use it on a public road, for example if it’s in a garage, on a drive or on private land.) and customer car park is not a public road even if it could be considered a public place.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 15/02/2022 at 15:43

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - Bromptonaut

I don't know what the basis for the above is. "OR" means "off road". The DVLA refers to a "public road" (Your vehicle is off the road if you do not keep or use it on a public road, for example if it’s in a garage, on a drive or on private land.) and customer car park is not a public road even if it could be considered a public place.

In some contexts private land to which the public has access is treated as part of the road eg for insurance etc.

Taking car to be scrapped, mechanics insurance? - Brit_in_Germany

For driving offences, yes but not for SORNing a car, as per the DVLA. The Road Traffic act explicitly refers to a "road or other public place".

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 15/02/2022 at 17:32