What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
new Highway Code rules - barney100

Photo of a car obeying the new rules when overtaking a cycle at speed and leaving the suggested gap. The car is well over double white lines and whilst obeying the law the driver is at the same time breaking it, am I missing something again?

new Highway Code rules - Brit_in_Germany

Yes, rule 129 HWC has a 10 mph limit.

new Highway Code rules - Bromptonaut

When passing a cyclist a driver should allow plenty of space.

If he cannot do so due to solid lines or just lack of visibility then he should reduce speed and wait behind the cyclist(s). While behind he should drop into a lower gear so that, when the opportunity presents, he can accelerate and pass quickly and safely.

new Highway Code rules - Engineer Andy

Is the main bone of contention about cyclists no longer being required to keep left in the lane and travel in the middle of the lane?

I think there was something also related to turning at junctions - perhaps something to do with stopping wiping out cyclists (and motorcylists) when larger vehicles turn left whilst the cyclist or motorcyclists are on the kerbside and may be not spotted?

The AA appears to be saying it may lead to lots of rear shunts for the cars/HGVs.

I've only just saw a very brief snippet of the story so don't know much about it as yet.

new Highway Code rules - Andrew-T

The trouble with this law is that while it clearly has a purpose and a rationale, it makes cyclists appear deliberately obstructive.to those following, occupying more space on the road than necessary. That will depend on the road and the conditions of course. When cyclists choose to ride abreast, I presume it will get even harder to find an opportunity to overtake, especially on an uphill.

new Highway Code rules - De Sisti

The trouble with this law is that while it clearly has a purpose and a rationale, it makes cyclists appear deliberately obstructive.to those following, occupying more space on the road than necessary. That will depend on the road and the conditions of course. When cyclists choose to ride abreast, I presume it will get even harder to find an opportunity to overtake, especially on an uphill.

I have driven for over 40 years and cycled for almost as much. I have never, ever seen cyclists going uphill ride anything other than in single file. Club cyclists will have different climbing (uphill) abilities, so naturally, their capabilities against gravity quickly becomes apparent when they ascend. I am very sceptical when someone alludes to cyclists riding other than single file uphill.

There have already been one thread closed down due to well-trodden vitriol against cyclists, which haven't added anything we have already come across. Let's try and remember and accept that the lives and well-being of all road users (whichever mode of transport is used) are equal and important to those individuals and their families. Let's not be aggressive, but act considerately when we're in our motor vehicles/vans or on our motorbikes/cycles.

Edited by De Sisti on 31/01/2022 at 22:16

Is the main bone of contention about cyclists no longer being required to keep left in the lane and travel in the middle of the lane?

I think advice to keep left in the lane has long been out of date.

The HMSO publication Cyclecraft, which has semi official status, refers to a Primary (out in the lane) and Secondary (roughly where the nearside wheels of a car would be).

new Highway Code rules - Sparrow

Surely this is step forward in road safety snd just a matter of getting familiar with it. Similar rules have been in force for years in parts of the continent, and as a result average car speeds in built up areas and on narrow rural roads tend to be less. I feel much safer as a pedestrian there than I do here. The motorist knows they take most if the blame if a pedestrian is injured and they take a lot of care to avoid them. The example at the start of this thread is typical of what happens, and the motorist is at fault by overtaking when not permitted. All we lack is anyone to enforce any rules other than breaking the speed limit or jumping a red light.

Edited by Sparrow on 31/01/2022 at 19:11

new Highway Code rules - badbusdriver

Taking the comments on this thread (and the last one) as an indication of the average motorists views, I find it quite alarming how many seem to be entirely oblivious to the fact that motorists are already supposed to give a cyclist as much space while passing as they would a car.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember.

The only difference here (re passing cyclists) is that it is now the law.

new Highway Code rules - sammy1

"""Is the main bone of contention about cyclists no longer being required to keep left in the lane and travel in the middle of the lane?"""

This is not true. The HC advises cyclists to ride in the middle of the lane only in certain circumstances which is ambiguous. It does advise in slow moving traffic that this is advisable. In other situations they should keep to the left of the lane and always have due consideration for other road users.

It was reported in the press over the weekend that a group of cyclists had an eight mile yes 8 mile queue of cars behind them due to their trying to make a point which is indefensible.

It was reported in the press over the weekend that a group of cyclists had an eight mile yes 8 mile queue of cars behind them due to their trying to make a point which is indefensible.

Do you believe that, really? Eight miles of queues on suburban (or rural) roads? Where and when did it take place? Which newspaper reported it? Why didn't it make national news?

Do you believe that, really? Eight miles of queues on suburban (or rural) roads? Where and when did it take place? Which newspaper reported it? Why didn't it make national news?

I'd also be interested to learn where this took place, because I just did a quick search and could find nothing about it.

new Highway Code rules - mcb100
You’d need a total, lengthy, blockage of a motorway to create an eight mile tailback.
I’m going for a large portion of sodium chloride.

Taking the comments on this thread (and the last one) as an indication of the average motorists views, I find it quite alarming how many seem to be entirely oblivious to the fact that motorists are already supposed to give a cyclist as much space while passing as they would a car.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember.

The only difference here (re passing cyclists) is that it is now the law.

Indeed - I think that the watchword for all this should be 'consideration' (or respect) - for cyclists to give them room generally, to make sure when overtaking / turning into other roads it is done with care for them and other road users, etc and that cyclists themselves help faster road users (as say farm vehicles are supposed to) by keeping an eye out and pulling over to the nearside, into a layby/passing place or even stopping to let motorised vehciles pass.

Sometimes the conditions exist where it just isn't safe to overtake, so we have to accept that we'll sit behind a slow-moving cyclist (or farm vehicle, a vehicle towing or horse and rider) for a while. Leaving in good time to reach a destination that allows for some kind of delays such as this would go some way to help, and would reduce any tensions.

When I've riden with a friend side-by-side, we've always kept an eye out so that a line of traffic didin't build up behind us wanting (but not able) to safely overtake, making them angry when we could either stop/slow or ride one behind the other for a few moments and/or pull into a layby.

Common sense I suppose.

new Highway Code rules - mcb100
A driver is allowed to cross double white lines to overtake cyclists, horses and road maintenance vehicles not exceeding 10mph, so nothing wrong.
new Highway Code rules - Xileno

I assume this article but nothing about an eight mile queue. It states motorists were not able to pass for eight miles.

Link to Daily Mail though so people can make their own mind up regarding accuracy:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10454809/Cyclists...l

"""I assume this article but nothing about an eight mile queue. It states motorists were not able to pass for eight miles

Taken from the most popular newspaper in the UK. Merely splitting hairs about length of queue it clearly states motorists were unable to pass for 8 miles. Whether it was 2 or two hundred or more it clearly states what some motorists have to put up with. This group were not doing the cycling fraternity any favours and are clearly in the wrong if you read the HC.

@Sammy1, you previously stated that you gave up cycling due to age. At what age did you give up cycling? Just curious, as I'm collecting my pension and still riding (and driving).

@Sammy1, you previously stated that you gave up cycling due to age. At what age did you give up cycling? Just curious, as I'm collecting my pension and still riding (and driving).

What at the same time? As they say in parliament please refer to my previous answer and stop being so personal it is none of your business and totally irrelevant to this

What at the same time? As they say in parliament please refer to my previous answer and stop being so personal it is none of your business and totally irrelevant to this

In answer to your question, yes. I am collecting my pension and cycling (and driving) at the same time. It all depends on how you define "at the same time". ;-)

Merely splitting hairs about length of queue it clearly states motorists were unable to pass for 8 miles.

I can imagine a traffic situation where it may be impossible to overtake for 8 miles without the need for a queue of more than 3 or 4 vehicles. That is bad enough if they are cars or vans, but a few times more frustrating if they are cyclists, who typically move rather more slowly. Most drivers would respect a funeral procession, but perhaps not cyclists .... :-)

Merely splitting hairs about length of queue it clearly states motorists were unable to pass for 8 miles.

I can imagine a traffic situation where it may be impossible to overtake for 8 miles without the need for a queue of more than 3 or 4 vehicles. That is bad enough if they are cars or vans, but a few times more frustrating if they are cyclists, who typically move rather more slowly. Most drivers would respect a funeral procession, but perhaps not cyclists .... :-)

I can't imagine a situation where a cyclist is on the same road(s) for eight miles and is followed by a queue of traffic. I was not splitting hairs when I questioned the accuracy of the headline statement. It appears that it was inflammatory for a reason, and reached its audience from some on here who believed it without any hesitation.

Newspapers create these sort of headlines for a reason.

I assume this article but nothing about an eight mile queue. It states motorists were not able to pass for eight miles.

Link to Daily Mail though so people can make their own mind up regarding accuracy:

Hmm, i'd have to say if you believe this story you are either extremely gullible, or you want it to be the truth. Because there is absolutely no evidence to support what the story claims, just some random pictures of cyclists. This despite the amount of cars on the roads with dash cams, and despite the fact that most people have phones with the ability to take pictures and video footage, yet no evidence of cyclists deliberately holding up cars and taking pleasure from this.

And Sammy, being the most popular newspaper in the country does not mean they don't make s*** up, and just because something is 'clearly stated' it doesn't mean it actually happened.

<< I can't imagine a situation where a cyclist is on the same road(s) for eight miles and is followed by a queue of traffic. >>

Leaving aside the newspaper report for a moment. let's imagine a situation where one, perhaps two or three, cyclists are taking advantage of the 'ride in the centre of the lane' rule on a winding road with no-overtaking lines in the centre, and are followed by a couple of cars driven by people who religiously keep to the left of those lines. For example the eastbound climb to Hartside on the A686. That can easily go on for miles. Once you have driven such roads it's easier to imagine such situations - never mind how old one is.

new Highway Code rules - catsdad

This is a 1918 version of a rhyme that has various versions -

Here lies the body of William Jay,
who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right as he sped along—
but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Leaving aside the newspaper report for a moment. let's imagine a situation where one, perhaps two or three, cyclists are taking advantage of the 'ride in the centre of the lane' rule on a winding road with no-overtaking lines in the centre, and are followed by a couple of cars driven by people who religiously keep to the left of those lines.

But you are allowed to pass on solid white lines under those circumstances. So if you find yourself stick behind car drivers who won't pass, it is them holding you up, not the cyclists.

For example the eastbound climb to Hartside on the A686. That can easily go on for miles. Once you have driven such roads it's easier to imagine such situations - never mind how old one is.

I'm not familiar with that particular road, but I am familiar with how to use Google maps. Looking at said section of road, as far as I can see there are only 3 shortish sections of solid white lines between Alston, up over Hartside Pass and down to Melmerby. So I really don't see any reason why you could end up being stuck behind cyclists for miles but it certainly wouldn't bed to solid white lines!.

new Highway Code rules - RT

Leaving aside the newspaper report for a moment. let's imagine a situation where one, perhaps two or three, cyclists are taking advantage of the 'ride in the centre of the lane' rule on a winding road with no-overtaking lines in the centre, and are followed by a couple of cars driven by people who religiously keep to the left of those lines.

But you are allowed to pass on solid white lines under those circumstances. So if you find yourself stick behind car drivers who won't pass, it is them holding you up, not the cyclists.

For example the eastbound climb to Hartside on the A686. That can easily go on for miles. Once you have driven such roads it's easier to imagine such situations - never mind how old one is.

I'm not familiar with that particular road, but I am familiar with how to use Google maps. Looking at said section of road, as far as I can see there are only 3 shortish sections of solid white lines between Alston, up over Hartside Pass and down to Melmerby. So I really don't see any reason why you could end up being stuck behind cyclists for miles but it certainly wouldn't bed to solid white lines!.

Most motorists are like sheep but always blame the vehicle/person at the head of the queue. I regularly tow my caravan up to the Highlands along the single carriageway A9, sticking to the 50 limit imposed on trailers - when there's nothing coming the other way I move left over the margin line to allow cars behind to see the gap but very few bother to overtake.

When I used to drive buses, I very rarely was ever held up by cyclists. The worst offenders by a huge margin were tractor drivers (who are, AFAIK required to pull in at the earliest opportunity to let following traffic past, though I think there has to be a certain amount). In a bus, the usable overtaking opportunities are much reduced compared to the average car, and obviously a tractor towing a large trailer makes things much worse. If there is nowhere for the tractor to get out of the way, fair enough, nothing can be done about that. But if, with half a dozen or more vehicles behind, the tractor driver ignores places where they could pull in, well that just got me so annoyed!.

But, as Andrew (perhaps inadvertently) alluded to earlier, the problem is often other cars being driven by nervous drivers, too scared to pass when it is perfectly safe to do so. It only needs two or three of these behind a cyclist, cyclists, tractor or whatever, for a massive hold up to build up behind.

When I used to drive buses, I very rarely was ever held up by cyclists. The worst offenders by a huge margin were tractor drivers (who are, AFAIK required to pull in at the earliest opportunity to let following traffic past, though I think there has to be a certain amount). In a bus, the usable overtaking opportunities are much reduced compared to the average car, and obviously a tractor towing a large trailer makes things much worse. If there is nowhere for the tractor to get out of the way, fair enough, nothing can be done about that. But if, with half a dozen or more vehicles behind, the tractor driver ignores places where they could pull in, well that just got me so annoyed!.

But, as Andrew (perhaps inadvertently) alluded to earlier, the problem is often other cars being driven by nervous drivers, too scared to pass when it is perfectly safe to do so. It only needs two or three of these behind a cyclist, cyclists, tractor or whatever, for a massive hold up to build up behind.

Exactly. And I bet it doesn't help either that farm vehciles are now far bigger than they used to be - faster too, for the most part, but not always fast enough not to hold you up.

I would certainly think twice in overtaking one of those 'monster truck' type farm vehicles on a country road, even if there appeared to be sufficient room, given how those vehicles steering can be rather 'erratic' at times!

The nervous driver (or an HGV, who won't be able to overtake) at the head of the queue is often a feature these days. Those behind then will likely not have the car or the skill/courage (let alone the space) to be able to safely overtake both. Especially in more rural areas with hidden junctions, etc.

<< I'm not familiar with that particular road, but I am familiar with how to use Google maps. Looking at said section of road, as far as I can see there are only 3 shortish sections of solid white lines between Alston, up over Hartside Pass and down to Melmerby. >>

Forgotten your compass, BBD ? That's why I said EASTBOUND. That bit is rather different, the drop into Alston is great ... :-)

<< I'm not familiar with that particular road, but I am familiar with how to use Google maps. Looking at said section of road, as far as I can see there are only 3 shortish sections of solid white lines between Alston, up over Hartside Pass and down to Melmerby. >>

Forgotten your compass, BBD ? That's why I said EASTBOUND. That bit is rather different, the drop into Alston is great ... :-)

You were talking of drivers who won't cross a solid line to overtake,

on a winding road with no-overtaking lines in the centre, and are followed by a couple of cars driven by people who religiously keep to the left of those lines.

so why is the direction of travel relevant?. In fact, if travelling EASTBOUND, there doesn't appear to be any sections of solid lines til you get to the car park, so surely it is much less likely that you get held up by drivers unwilling to cross solid lines if there aren't any?.

And it doesn't change the fact that if drivers in front of you won't pass a cyclist, they are holding you up and not the cyclist.

<< why is the direction of travel relevant?. >>

It's relevant because we are discussing cyclists occupying the centre of (in this case) a long winding uphill stretch. I have driven this road a few times and about the only vehicles which can overtake at all are motorbikes, and they seem to be taking their lives in their hands.

Cyclists going westbound are probably enjoying themselves hugely on the long downhill.

new Highway Code rules - veloceman
Regarding being allowed to cross double white lines when passing a vehicle doing less than 10mph.
Most cyclists average 15-20 mph. Are they expected to slow down or the drivers follow till the double white lines end?
new Highway Code rules - Brit_in_Germany

It might be difficult to prove what speed the cyclist was travelling at so a prosecution is questionable.

new Highway Code rules - daveyjp

Yes you are expected to slow until it is safe to pass. I struggle to see why its a problem.

If the cycle was a tractor or combine harvester doing 20mph what would you do?

The Chief Exec of Calderdale council has just been banned from driving for having the belief he was entitled to overtake a slow moving motorhome. It resulted in a police car coming the other way leaving the carriageway causing an accident.

The motorhome was actually following behind a couple of cyclists and was doing the right thing as they couldn't overtake safely.

It's relevant because we are discussing cyclists occupying the centre of (in this case) a long winding uphill stretch.

Yes we are, but you also spoke of solid no overtaking lines and being stuck behind a couple of cars who religiously keep to the left of those lines.

So lets take those two points separately.

First, regarding cyclists being in the centre of their lane, as I keep on pointing out, it has long been The Highway Codes advice to pass cyclists as if they were a car, i.e, passing on the other side of the road. So nothing has changed in that respect other than that it is now a legal requirement, something responsible and considerate drivers already should be doing. Also, as said, I'm not familiar with that stretch of road, so I decided to 'drive it' courtesy of Google Street View going Eastbound from Melmerby right to the summit, and frankly I've no idea what you are on about?. There is a short section about a mile East of Melmerby where the road winds through some trees, this would be difficult to overtake cyclists on, but not impossible if you are right behind them. For the next 3/4 mile or so after that there are short straights and blind corners, again not that difficult to pass on these straights if you are right behind the cyclists. But, from there right to the summit, the road is mostly open with good sight lines punctuated by the odd sharp corner.

I have driven this road a few times and about the only vehicles which can overtake at all are motorbikes, and they seem to be taking their lives in their hands.

So frankly I've absolutely no idea why even the most nervous of overtakers wouldn't be able to pass on that section of the road.

Second, regarding these solid white lines you talk of, and being stick behind drivers who won't cross them. On the way up the pass, Eastbound, there are none until you get to the summit where there is around 200 meters covering the bend right at the top and entrance to the parking area.

<< ... regarding cyclists being in the centre of their lane, as I keep on pointing out, it has long been The Highway Codes advice to pass cyclists as if they were a car, i.e, passing on the other side of the road. So nothing has changed in that respect other than that it is now a legal requirement, something responsible and considerate drivers already should be doing. >>

The problem with this is the conflict between theory and practice. Allowing that (a) many drivers will be unaware of the instruction or that it has become law; and (b) I would think that human nature might make them unwilling to risk moving completely to the other side of the road to pass, and perhaps the cyclist keener to keep a bit left of centre, so as to feel a bit less vulnerable, and less of a 'roadhog'.

Maybe we have to wait to find out whether the new rules have any effect on driving habits - or prosecution habits.

<< ... regarding cyclists being in the centre of their lane, as I keep on pointing out, it has long been The Highway Codes advice to pass cyclists as if they were a car, i.e, passing on the other side of the road. So nothing has changed in that respect other than that it is now a legal requirement, something responsible and considerate drivers already should be doing. >>

The problem with this is the conflict between theory and practice. Allowing that (a) many drivers will be unaware of the instruction or that it has become law; and (b) I would think that human nature might make them unwilling to risk moving completely to the other side of the road to pass, and perhaps the cyclist keener to keep a bit left of centre, so as to feel a bit less vulnerable, and less of a 'roadhog'.

In reality there are much more shades of grey. Here are just a couple of examples of what I mean.

A cyclist is expected to move over/stop if there are no opportunities for the vehicle behind to safely pass. What does that mean?. If I`m cycling and there are cars behind me, if I consider there to be plenty of safe opportunities for the cars to pass without my pulling over or stopping, why should i be expected to do so just because the driver behind me is too nervous to pass when they can?. If this happens to be going up a steep hill, the last thing a cyclist wants to do is come to a complete stop on a verge before starting off again!

As an ex bus driver and with truck drivers in the immediate family, I`m acutely aware that both will need more space to pass (they probably be on a tight time schedule too) and so if cycling on a road with limited opportunities to overtake, I`d make extra allowances for that. Most cyclists are going to be completely oblivious to this and just carry on their merry way assuming the truck behind can pass in the same space as a car. Meanwhile the driver of said truck is potentially getting ever more apoplectic with rage, which is of course when things can go horribly wrong.

<< why is the direction of travel relevant?. >>

It's relevant because we are discussing cyclists occupying the centre of (in this case) a long winding uphill stretch. I have driven this road a few times and about the only vehicles which can overtake at all are motorbikes, and they seem to be taking their lives in their hands.

Cyclists going westbound are probably enjoying themselves hugely on the long downhill.

It depends - when I've been out cycling on local rural roads, I always have to keep a sharp eye out on them, especially on the downhill sections, in case of sunken drains and pothole, which aren't always easy to spot (especially if the kerbside is not that clear of detritis like leaves), especially if you're coming up on them at 30mph+ (nice as that speed can be on a bicycle).

Swerving at that sort of speed can easily induce an off or worse still, a serious accident involving the cyclist hitting overtaking or oncoming vehicles, or lead to an overtaking vehicle's driver make an error and cause a fatal crash.

The bit about the eight mile hold up id referenced well into the article. It's a quote from somebody called Steve Bulley described as "Vice President of Dorchester Chamber of Business". The hashtags suggest it was on Twitter.

www.dorchesterchamber.co.uk/executive-committee/

There is a Steve Bulley who broadcasts on local radio in that neck of the woods and has a PR business. Looks like the same bloke. He's currently restricting who can see his twitter account.

Surely he wasn't trolling for self publicity...

The bit about the eight mile hold up id referenced well into the article. It's a quote from somebody called Steve Bulley described as "Vice President of Dorchester Chamber of Business". The hashtags suggest it was on Twitter.

www.dorchesterchamber.co.uk/executive-committee/

There is a Steve Bulley who broadcasts on local radio in that neck of the woods and has a PR business. Looks like the same bloke. He's currently restricting who can see his twitter account.

Surely he wasn't trolling for self publicity...

Twitter on any side of an issue is not exactly a trustworthy or credible environment. I'd be more interested to see who or what organisation pushed for the changes to the HC and why. The problem is often that 'research' can be biased by who carries it out and/or whom takes part and how it is interpreted.

Has there been anything in the media on the research being published? I don't recall seeing anything as yet.

Twitter on any side of an issue is not exactly a trustworthy or credible environment. I'd be more interested to see who or what organisation pushed for the changes to the HC and why. The problem is often that 'research' can be biased by who carries it out and/or whom takes part and how it is interpreted.

Has there been anything in the media on the research being published? I don't recall seeing anything as yet.

The only reason I mentioned Twitter is that Steve Bulley's Twitter appeared to be referenced in the Mail report. As he's limited who can see his account I probably was not the only one trying to find out exactly what he said.

As to organisations pushing for these changes it is no secret that Cycling UK was very much in favour. No doubt outfits representing pedestrians were too.

Equally, on the other side, there would be input from the AA, RAC and Road Hauliers Association.

The DM only refers to the picture and information as being on social media. Whatever the picture that the DM published showed a group of 7 cyclists spread across the lane waiting at traffic lights. If they wanted to be considerate and helpful they could have been in file on the left allowing cars to pass.

new Highway Code rules - primus 1

I was watching a report on the news the guy who was on there suggested that drivers have to give way to cyclists whilst on the roundabout, suggesting that the car has to stop on the roundabout to allow the cyclists to enter from the junction, this is clearly not the case, but I wonder how much confusion is out there regarding these new rules, we ought to bring back the govt public information films we used to get back in the day..

The DM only refers to the picture and information as being on social media. Whatever the picture that the DM published showed a group of 7 cyclists spread across the lane waiting at traffic lights. If they wanted to be considerate and helpful they could have been in file on the left allowing cars to pass.

I find the notion that you used to be a cyclist difficult to believe in the face of such an ill considered comment.

It's almost certainly a library picture from an agency.

It looks as if the junction is, in part, single track road with the lights controlling alternate direction running. The cyclists are on sports bikes and what in my touring days we called 'fast boys'. They'll be through that junction as fast as an ordinary car; the only drivers who'd try to pass would be the ones moving at dangerous rates of acceleration.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/02/2022 at 20:13

It's almost certainly a library picture from an agency.

It looks as if the junction is, in part, single track road with the lights controlling alternate direction running. The cyclists are on sports bikes and what in my touring days we called 'fast boys'. They'll be through that junction as fast as an ordinary car; the only drivers who'd try to pass would be the ones moving at dangerous rates of acceleration.

I hadn't even considered that it could be a library picture Bromptonaut, maybe I'm not as cynical of the story as I thought!.

But, assuming it wasn't (a library picture). In addition to them being 'fast boys' (I'd have said 'roadies') and your quite correct notion that they won't be holding cars up once the lights go to green, not till they get out of the village anyway, here are another couple of thoughts/observations.

1, Who is to say that when the lights turned red there were any cars immediately behind the cyclists?. There certainly isn't any proof of this, and if there weren't, why would they stop single file at the lights to allow cars past?.

2, Even if there were cars immediately behind them on the approach to the lights, they are in a 30mph zone (in a village) having just come down a moderately steep hill. So there is no way any cars were being held up unless trying to do way more than the speed limit.

3, It is a pretty narrow road (even before the bridge), so if the cyclists had decided to stop single file and a car came up alongside, a big tractor coming through in the opposite direction, would not have been able to get by.

4, Immediately past the narrow bridge, the road separates with the A377 (the road they are on) swinging round to the right, and the A3072 heading straight ahead. Statistically, most cars will be sticking on the A377, but quite likely a 'group cycle' could be turning off on the quieter A3072 only around 50m away.

But Sammy only see's what Sammy wants to see in this picture, which is 'inconsiderate and selfish cyclists holding up cars'. After all, an angry man said it happened, and the UK's most popular newspaper reported the with story, therefore it must be true, right?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/02/2022 at 20:50

And man never walked on the moon I suppose!

new Highway Code rules - Metropolis.
Nah mate, it was a stock image
new Highway Code rules - Bilboman

"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!"

This new set of rules would work perfectly if only all road/pavement users had some empathy and understanding of the daily lives endured by the others. It is pretty safe to generalise that all cyclists and horse riders are also pedestrians; all motorcyclists are also cyclists, and all HGV drivers also drive cars. The reverse in each case is not necessarily true, so significant numbers of each category of road users are blissfully ignorant of the "art of driving" as practised by the others. In my experience, non-cycling drivers are largely intolerant of cyclists and car drivers fail to anticipate turning circles, speed, acceleration and stopping distances of large vehicles that they have never driven. It's a jungle out there!

And man never walked on the moon I suppose!

Well I'm sure if the Daily Mail told you that, you'd believe it without question.

new Highway Code rules - Xileno

I was going to write something similar Bilboman, but you put it far better than I could have done.

As in the other thread, there will always be strong views regarding bikes on the roads. I suspect the weight of opinion will differ between a motoring forum and a biking one, accepting that many, including myself, straddle both camps (well three if you include motorbiking). There will be inconsiderate users of all methods of transport. Ultimately we all have to show consideration and share the roads for the benefit of all.

new Highway Code rules - Bilboman

Some new traffic rules come into force in Spain on Monday (nothing is "advisory" here, if it's the law it's the law!) and there are a lot of similarities to the UK but many go further.
Handling or holding a mobile phone at the wheel is an instant €200 fine and 6 points. Other bad habits that are now fineable include dropping anything alight or otherwise dangerous from the window of a moving vehicle wherever you are driving: 6 points plus fine for a cigarette end or hard object (not ciggie packets or general litter) ; €200 fine for cycling across a pedestrian crossing and even cycling with headphones in (ear/headphones while driving has always been illegal here, so forget Bluetooth earpieces as well.) If it was up to me, pedestrians would also be included!
But one I'd almost missed in the vast tracts of text is the obligation for a driver to overtake a cyclist not just with 1.5m of space as before, but, in a 2 lane road, the driver actually has to move to the next lane (€200 fine but no points). I can foresee a lot of impatience and "bunching" and added congestion to our already dismal roads (30 km/h blanket speeds in many cities now.) I would like to see bike lanes made obligatory as they are well maintained and safe here and there are several narrow lanes where bike lane refuseniks cause snarl-ups all the time.