What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving Licence Renewal - Jimbo9000

Hi all, hope this is in the right place..

Does anyone know if there is anyway you can delay the renewal of your driving licence. ?

Mine expires soon, but i am not actually driving at the moment and probably will not be for at least another year or so.

Obviously i do not want to lose any entitlement, nor incur more costs, but it seems a little one sided that you either renew now with a fee or incur a fine.

I did try to ask DVLA on their chat bot, but they were too busy to answer.

Ta.

Driving Licence Renewal - _

What are the circumstances of this "Not driving" ??

you can decide to not renew/update your driving licence, but as far as I am aware you should return the old one with a covering note.

Driving Licence Renewal - Falkirk Bairn

It's around £15 to renew a driving licence that lasts 10 years.

If you do not renew your licence & if more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons.

Renewing today or re-sitting a driving test? I think renewing today makes sense. If 70+ renewal of licence is foc.

okay, so looks like 2yrs , i will have to think about it, its £14 to renew so i guess i would only be saving (c)£2.80 by delaying for max 2yrs, so likely will just renew as not worth it.

Cheers

Driving Licence Renewal - Brit_in_Germany

Also useful to have for an emergency situation or possibly driving a hire-car.

Driving Licence Renewal - FoxyJukebox
A massive inconvenience to have to re-apply and taken a test, .It might even result in being exposed to higher insurance premiums as you might be asked how long you have held your licence or been “off the road”
Driving Licence Renewal - Andrew-T

okay, so looks like 2yrs , i will have to think about it, its £14 to renew so i guess i would only be saving (c)£2.80 by delaying for max 2yrs, so likely will just renew as not worth it.

It's a no-brainer. For the saving of less than a pint, it's much better to have a continuous licence.

i dont need to drive as live in a city, and as on a carer on a ltd income have better things to spend my money on than insurance, tax etc. but do have a number of classic cars so will want to return to driving at some point.

sorry this was meant as reply to Orbs question as to why..

Thanks both for quick responses.

Driving Licence Renewal - Stackman II

I have to say that the driving licence renewal process was unexpectedly efficient.

My licence was due for renewal before Christmas. I visited the website on Thursday evening, filled in the details and paid the fee.

The new licence arrived the following Tuesday.

If you have a recent passport then there is a surprising degree of joined-up thinking for a government department during a pandemic.

Driving Licence Renewal - Brit_in_Germany

My recent experience with the passport office was similarly impressive. Everything filled in online, including a selfie picture (rather than having to go to a booth) and the new passport was sent out the day after they received the hard copy of my old passport.