What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - orchover

Hi all, I've seen a car for sale online with a dealer. It's exactly what we are looking for, in the right colour and with a reasonably low mileage, and a good price. Looks immaculate inside and out, but checking the MOT history out shows it was MOTd in 2018, and then not MOT'd again until 2021. Would this be enough to put you off even looking at it in the first place? Any particular reason why it may have missed those MOT's? Taxi maybe? I also noticed that it doesn't have the model badges on the boot lid. Warning sign of a potential repaired accident damage? Would these be enough to out you off even going to see it? Would obviously do vcheck history check but not wasting money on that if people would say steer clear in the first place. Thoughts?

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - bathtub tom

Get someone who knows what they're doing to check it over.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - Andrew-T

depends a bit on how far away it is. But if you don't look at it you can't form an opinion, and you may spend months thinking 'if only'. My second car missed an MoT about 10 years ago, probably because it was being little used and the owner forgot. Just go with an open mind, rather than dreaming all the worst scenarios. What matters is what is on the MoT results !

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - Terry W

With Covid and lockdowns over the last two years many cars will have been left unused - particularly if the owner is in a multicar household, working from home, or shielding. Why spend money on tax, insurance and servicing if it isn't being used.

Assuming it has not been serviced in the last three years I would give it a very thorough examination and get a full service done before using it. Could be a good way to negotiate the price down.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - Brit_in_Germany

Maybe the owner had taken it abroad and didn't bother to bring it back for its MOT until Brexit complicated matters. The lack of badges is generally an option when buying new.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - badbusdriver

Mercedes have gone through some ups and downs in terms of reliability, so I'd be wanting to find out what age the car is and what engine is under the bonnet before making any comment.

But in short, the absence of it being MOT'd for a couple of years, on its own, wouldn't be putting me off too much.

Any particular reason why it may have missed those MOT's? Taxi maybe?

Not sure why you'd think the lack of an MOT for two years would point to it being a taxi?, don't get that at all.

I also noticed that it doesn't have the model badges on the boot lid. Warning sign of a potential repaired accident damage?

Not sure if it is still the case, or if anyone actually ticks that box, but on Merc's, as with BMW's, you did have a badge 'delete option' when ordering new. There could be two reasons to choose this, either you could only afford a poverty spec, but don't want anyone to know. Or you'd bought a powerful version, but didn't want to draw attention to the fact. So while the lack of badges could suggest bodywork repairs,itisn't necessarily the case.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - RT

Hi all, I've seen a car for sale online with a dealer. It's exactly what we are looking for, in the right colour and with a reasonably low mileage, and a good price. Looks immaculate inside and out, but checking the MOT history out shows it was MOTd in 2018, and then not MOT'd again until 2021. Would this be enough to put you off even looking at it in the first place? Any particular reason why it may have missed those MOT's? Taxi maybe? I also noticed that it doesn't have the model badges on the boot lid. Warning sign of a potential repaired accident damage? Would these be enough to out you off even going to see it? Would obviously do vcheck history check but not wasting money on that if people would say steer clear in the first place. Thoughts?

Don't worry about the lack of badges - many buyers of new cars take the no-cost option to debadge their cars - a lot more honest than false badging!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - sammy1

Clearly the car has not been legally driven in 2 years or more. If it has been stood idle then battery and tyres would have seriously degraded. If it has been stood outside then look for corrosion elsewhere exhaust etc. There are plenty of cars out there to choose from, this one I would avoid it will be cheap for a reason

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - Andrew-T

There are plenty of cars out there to choose from, this one I would avoid it will be cheap for a reason.

But not necessarily a bad reason ? You need to find out. And quite a few people report that there are not plenty of cars to choose from.

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/01/2022 at 10:45

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Buying a car not MOT'd for 2 years - barney100

The boot badges on Mercs are often removed by owners to conceal the model type. If you like the car fork out for an AA/RAC inspection. If at all unsure source a another C class model.