What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The future of personal car ownership - Steveieb

Transport minister Trudy Harrison has announced that car ownership is outdated and motorists should embrace shared ownership.

Many towns have already introduced sharing schemes for cars , bikes and e scooters and they claim to reap environmental benefits if the schemes were accelerated.

With 32 million cars which spend up to 96% of their time parked , there would be knock on effects to sales, maintenance , MOT tests and finally scrapping.

But once bought and insured there is an incentive to use the car more rather than opt for travel by bus or train.

Maybe the governments love affair with EVs will lead to a future of shared ownership of electric cars charged at the home of the intended user?

The future of personal car ownership - groaver

I can understand the reasoning behind this but it is going to take a huge change in mindset for the majority of the population.

What!? Why can't I own* my own car?

*Lease/PCP, etc.

Edited by groaver on 06/01/2022 at 09:01

The future of personal car ownership - Will deBeast

I'd happily get rid of ours if there was a way of hiring when we needed one. That hire would have to be reasonable price, and convenient. And allow dogs (how else do I get her to the vet, or go for a walk further afield).

And I'd use public transport more.

The future of personal car ownership - movilogo

Since we have to ready for next pandemic and we should avoid crowd as much as possible, we should use cars even more :o)

I am not going to give up my car anytime as long as I am physically capable of driving.

We don't need to be puppet of politicians.

The future of personal car ownership - Andrew-T

I am not going to give up my car anytime as long as I am physically capable of driving. We don't need to be puppet of politicians.

Well, that's your position clear then - most helpful.

But reverting to topic, one thing the suggestion might conceivably achieve is to reduce the demand for on-street parking, which is an absolute bugbear in many places.

The future of personal car ownership - FoxyJukebox

Or restrict ownership to only those who have off street parking.......light fuse and retire?

The future of personal car ownership - Engineer Andy

Or restrict ownership to only those who have off street parking.......light fuse and retire?

That'll go down well with voters. Any politician doing so will need to make sure all their affairs are in order first.

Boom.

The future of personal car ownership - Grenache

This is blinkered thinking that one-size-fits-all. We are all sick and tired of politicians who have no idea how the other half live.

If someone is young and fit and lives in a town with good public transport all well and good.

For many others shared ownership is not an option due to disability, lack of public transport and how you might actually get to a shared car in the middle of the night when you need to make an unplanned 40-mile round trip to an out-of-hours doctor appointment or visit A&E?

How could you ensure you could get a shared car with a big enough boot to hold a wheelchair, or golf clubs, or dogs?

My daughter recently used a capital city car sharing scheme to go from A to B, stayed overnight but found she was stranded as there were no cars available at B to make the journey home again.

The future of personal car ownership - Terry W

One size fits all is mistaken, but there is a good argument for shared ownership for many.

City dwellers may only need personal transport occasionally, relying normally on bike or pubic transport. Car ownership brings with it the hassle and expense of insurance, maintenance, parking, MOT etc. Residents in rural areas and small towns are the minority and have different needs.

That many city dwellers chose to join car sharing schemes is unsurprising.

Autonomous cars will make it even easier to have the required transport delivered to your door - possibly opening the technology to all, not just city residents. Size and cost of vehicle can be varied to suit the journey needs.

If you are over 50 you will almost certainly have grown up and organised a life around car ownership. Younger folk are not so constrained - they are the future, not oldies like me (68).

<< If you are over 50 you will almost certainly have grown up and organised a life around car ownership. Younger folk are not so constrained - they are the future, not oldies like me (68). >>

As one ages, the need for personal transport gradually (or sometimes suddenly) dwindles. At some point it makes sense to depend on someone else's car (i.e. a taxi) for essential journeys. It costs, of course (and has other downsides) but that is offset, and quite possibly exceeded, by significant savings. It just needs careful consideration and letting go of some very familiar parts of life.

My mother drove from the mid-1920s until she decided to get rid of her car in the late 1980s. It's a bit like downsizing - it's a decision point in life. I haven't made it yet (I'm 82) but we downsized our house 15 years ago and sometimes think we might have done it sooner.

Still have two elderly cars though .... :-)

The future of personal car ownership - mcb100
Lynk & Co, a subsidiary of Geely and sister company to Volvo and Polestar are already in Europe with their own car, the 01, that you can either buy outright, take on an all-inclusive membership (insurance and maintenance included) or short term hire from a member.
There are no time constraints, so if you just want it to cover the winter months and cycle when the weather is better, that option is there. If you need a car for a month, you can, or you can take it over 3 years.
The future of personal car ownership - sammy1

I would not wish to share a car with anyone. The more sharing the bigger the problems of insurance and availability. Who keeps and parks the car, washes it, fuels it, looks after the service requirements, if a big bill comes along who pays, tyres etc You then have a problem of using the car adjusting the seat mirrors music car radio phone etc. As others mentioned the dog and the sheer convenience of it being available. Their is also the bad habits of some who might smoke in the car or leave their mcdonalds or other rubbish.

You might just as well consider a good taxi if you do not need much use out of a car

The future of personal car ownership - barney100

Nothing beats having your own car there to use instantly as you please.

The future of personal car ownership - daveyjp

Sounds simple when compared to the scooters and cycles hire system. The reality of car ownership is far more complex as they are registered and need insurance,

Day to day manangement of cars has been highlighted above. Pool cars need fuelling, cleaning, servicing, repairing. All activities currently undertaken by the car owner. The pool car I use is valeted every week by a third party who needs paying for, my car may get cleaned properly twice a year. I'm happy to have my own car dirty, but if a pool car isn't cleaned for 6 months users may get annoyed!

The legal aspects are even more complex. I know who owns my car and who is driving it, unless it gets stolen. A pool car may be driven by 10-15 people a day. Tracking and tracing the driver at a particular moment all needs monitoring and reporting. It would be like recording all the users of a taxi over the course of a day. It can be done, but its down to more data recording, recovery of data, contacting the correct driver for every motoring offence which would mean 100% accurate time reporting.

The future of personal car ownership - catsdad

A bit of fag packet maths suggests that the average private car is used for less than an hour a day. Despite this it accrues cost of ownership on a 24/7 basis. Personal ownership may be convenient but it’s expensive.

I am sure in the next few years more short term hire / share services will be developed that capitalise on the potential to make far more efficient use of an expensive machine. Of course there are problems but given the increasing cost of personal ownership there is a market to be exploited.

This can be driven by economics. Those who want to retain their own car can do so but it may become as rare as having a full time personal chauffeur is now.

Once personal ownership falls the infrastructure of provision and servicing will also change. The big boys will dominate the car purchase and service sectors. Personal ownership will be an ever more expensive minority quirk.

I am not saying I look forward to this but I think it’s inevitable over the medium to long term.

The future of personal car ownership - RT

There are already existing business models covering taxi's and self-drive hire - whilst these may expand significantly in future years there's no value, or point, in developing a business model for other car sharing.

The future of personal car ownership - Heidfirst

& yet most of the major manufacturers (VW, Toyota etc.) have some kind of toe in the water in schemes (either wholly owned or partnership) that are ...

Nothing beats having your own car there to use instantly as you please.

That will depend on how certain you are with your driving, in the conditions prevailing when you want to travel.

The future of personal car ownership - John F

Transport minister Trudy Harrison has announced that car ownership is outdated and motorists should embrace shared ownership.

Having explored Ms Harrison's background and qualifications (good old Wiki...) I see no reason why anyone should pay much attention to her announcements. It is one of the less desirable aspects of our democracy that such persons of limited attainment and experience can appear in positions of such power and responsibility.

The future of personal car ownership - Steveieb

Exactly John

Reminds me of the Government appointment of the Head of a phone company which suffered massive data loss being appointed to be Head of the Track and trace initiative which has cost the taxpayer £19billion pounds as of last September and making some American medical company directors a welcome bonus. Hopefully all will be revealed when the NAO take a look .

Many towns have already introduced sharing schemes for cars , bikes and e scooters and they claim to reap environmental benefits if the schemes were accelerated.

With 32 million cars which spend up to 96% of their time parked , there would be knock on effects to sales, maintenance , MOT tests and finally scrapping.

But once bought and insured there is an incentive to use the car more rather than opt for travel by bus or train.

Maybe the governments love affair with EVs will lead to a future of shared ownership of electric cars charged at the home of the intended user?

Sounds like politicians are starting to push the WEF Agenda on 'you'll own nothing, rent everything , etc etc and be happy' by 2030.

Hiring cars via some shared club scheme can be useful for some if responsibly done - all it takes is for one or two in the club to treat the car like cr@p (e.g. leaving it in a state, not charging it up [EVs] or refuelling it to the set level [ICE]) for the experience to become a bad one, but for most people, it's the convenience of having a car ready to go on a moment's notice - for unplanned work (as I often required) or personal trips, emergencies, picking up the sick kiddie from school, etc which makes the difference.

The problem with 'sharing' arrangements is that most trips - commuting, shopping/leisure activities tend to be undertaken roughly at the same time, and thus the scope for significanlty less cars on the road/taking up valuable parking spaces etc is, in my view, far more limited than perhaps politicians, environmental/political activists and journalists (who love catchy headlines and don't look at the detail) think.

One thing that has made some negative difference is how the average size of cars owned by us all has increased over teh decades, which mean they take up more space on the road (including on-street parking) and are not as fuel-efficient as they could be if we kept buying cars of the sizes we used to (even taking into account different needs as we have families, hopefully get better off financially, etc).

Keeping the size down would reduce pollution (even from EVs, given most won't be charged for the next few decades via green tech) and the roadside, reduce fuel costs (more to go round) and give more time to source alternatives without needlessly rushing into adopting badly thought-out ideas (as I believe is currently the case). It would also make parking far easier!

Good points Andy. However as regards time of use there is a lot that can be done. If all the cars in a pool are managed Uber-style then differential pricing can be applied to help smooth out some of the peaks. As it stands I suggest the school run, commuting, shopping are largely separate peaks and troughs. Big Brother monitoring could weed out the anti-social element who leave cars dirty or uncharged. Customers with good records could get favourable rates.

Being retired my use is flexible on most occasions. If they priced like Uber or airlines I could time much of my use to low rate slots. You can even see pricing models where they might want cars repositioning and make costs very cheap indeed. A bit like flying standby.
Not as flexible as having my own car but the cost per mile could be very attractive.

The cost of running a new small/medium hatch is ~£5000 pa (£100 pw). Lease is ~£250 pm (£3k pa), insurance (say) £500, servicing + tyres + tax £500, fuel ~£1000.

S/h may be ~£3-4k pa - lease costs offset by depreciation and higher repair costs.

Taxi or occasional car share for longer journeys for city dwellers may make a lot of sense. It also gets rid of the hassle factor associated with car ownership.

Maintenance, cleaning, servicing, repairs, vehicle tracking, insurance etc are all completely soluble. Credit and driving record checks before you join the club. Although different to the "rent a scooter" schemes the principles for the rest already exist.

As with any other service there are likely to be peaks in demand which need to be managed. The obvious solution is time flexible pricing - if you desperately need to travel at 08.00 or 17.00 you will pay a premium. Flex your demand and the price will fall.

Ultimately there will be a price attached to personal car ownership - it is a personal choice. But creating barriers where none really exist is there is pointless.

The future of personal car ownership - sammy1

Here is the transport minister advocating we share car ownership while her rich friends are more interested in hiring out their Yachts villas and second homes!

The future of personal car ownership - daveyjp

£100 a week or £14 a day pays for less than two hours rental of the car club vehicles I use.

Good points Andy. However as regards time of use there is a lot that can be done. If all the cars in a pool are managed Uber-style then differential pricing can be applied to help smooth out some of the peaks. As it stands I suggest the school run, commuting, shopping are largely separate peaks and troughs. Big Brother monitoring could weed out the anti-social element who leave cars dirty or uncharged. Customers with good records could get favourable rates.

Being retired my use is flexible on most occasions. If they priced like Uber or airlines I could time much of my use to low rate slots. You can even see pricing models where they might want cars repositioning and make costs very cheap indeed. A bit like flying standby.
Not as flexible as having my own car but the cost per mile could be very attractive.

Maybe we could have have an army of electric scooters to takes to/from the station, etc, rather like Boris bikes? :-)

I suspect my less than enthusiastic experience (including of pool cars) and views stem from it not really working for my own industry (as was) - Building Services consulting engineers, where we often had to go out on a site visit (meeting, surveying, inspection) at very short notice and for long periods/distances, which meant we would go directly home afterwards, which would not be conducive to car sharing/pooling schemes.

Besides, we never had enough car parking spaces to house them and our own cars (which often we never had either!). I think what would be helpful is firms that respect and look after their staff generally and encourage living locally (where possible) to reduce the need for car or long train-ride commuting, which would reduce the number of car parking spaces needed, 'car allowances' and perhaps migh make car pooling/renting by day more cost-effective.

It was annoying that often I and another colleague were going to the same meeting but had to use our own cars because we didn't live anywhere near eachother to car-share.

I think making home ownership and the cost-to-move home cheaper and easier would be very helpful, which is more governmental level stuff. Unfortunately demand (increasing population) being so high means there's little they can do without (pardon the pun) mortgaging the country up to the hilt to try and keep up. Until workforce mobility improves, traffic will still be bad at rush hour times.

I think some people.careers/companies have seen over the past 2 years that some jobs/firms can operate well with some/all home/remote working, but many cannot, whether for logisitical, monetary or management/morale or training reasons.

Hopefully it will shake things out so that when (not if) 'normality' resumes, many people and firms/organisations will have a much better handle on how they and their staff can work optimally for the benefit of all.

The future of personal car ownership - Sparrow

It might have legs in an urban or suburban atea with good backup orovided by public transport. I live in a rural area, only 4 miles from a town of 100,000 inhabitants. Public transport is non-existent and if you live around here you need a car. We have 2 cars and all our neighours have at least 2 cars, one for each person living there. It's the only way you can get to work, to the shops, to leisure facilities etc etc. I wish there was a public transport system that worked, but fact of the matter is that simply pontificating about something that might work in a city and trying to apply it to all simply shows lack of knowledge and understanding if how those outside large cities live abd work.

Not the first time a supposedly responsible minister has shown strong evidence of not having a clue, however well meaning the intentions.

The future of personal car ownership - Dcoa93
This is a typical ‘London’ centric thought.
I could happily live in London without a car, because the public transport options are good/affordable/reliable.
For a lot of the rest of the country, this is certainly not the case. Where I live there is 1 bus, which takes an hour to do a 25 minute private car journey. It’s runs every 2 hours and if it is cancelled, your stuffed. It’s also quite expensive, relative to the journey by car. Trains are extremely expensive I find.
So, until public transport improves, it’s an absolute nonstarter.
I doubt autonomous cars would be much cheaper (I think much like a taxi!)

You also have the nations love affair with the car. Good luck getting the school runners out of their SUVs for their 2 mile journey. The bus is already available for that but ‘they never would.’ Mindsets don’t change very often. The only way it could happen (and you see it with young drivers) is if they are financially forced out. Car ownership could become an object for the privileged few, if people are priced out. I think EVs will also encourage lease ownership, which is inherently more expensive.

There is a valid green argument for the reduction of cars on the road, but also the manufacturing of them has an impact (ICE&EV) so their aim is to reduce this too.
The idea of short term leases has merit, could certainly become popular (but likely expensive).

A lot of these policies don’t think about the impact on all. ULEZ (whilst there is merit in it) could price people out of having a car in London, if they have an old diesel they can’t afford to switch.

I suspect only those living in central London would be able to live ok without a car. As you get towards the suburbs/just outside a city, you need one because you need to go further to get to work, visit people, shop, etc.

As I explained on other threads, public transport just isn't viable or flexible enough to cover all circumstances, and most people living in cities cannot afford to buy/run EVs, let alone have home charging points available or sufficient AND secure ones that aren't.

It's often as much poor policy making/management both locally and nationally and planning that makes the whole situation worse, like with the school run.

Only ~ 17% of the UK live in rural areas, the rest are urban. This includes 20m (36%) in major conurbations, and 26m (47% living in urban cities and towns.

The logistics associated with where we live has evolved as a result of cheap and easy personal transport - family, friends, jobs, schooling, retail parks, etc. Having let the genie out the bottle (so to speak) it is going to be neither quick nor easy to get it back in.

Rural folk need transport almost daily for shopping, schools, job etc and are very unlikely to see car share/hire schemes as workable. Public transport in these areas is unlikely for the foreseeable future to be economically feasible.

Those in larger towns and cities could live their allotted 3 score and 10 without ever owning a car. and may willingly organise their lives to use a car only occasionally. Younger folk are typically more receptive to new ideas and many don't even take a driving test as they don't carry the "baggage" that many older folk do.

Car share schemes will not suit everyone or those whose job still requires travel flexibility, but it will appeal to an increasingly large number. There are clear environmental and personal economic benefits.

I don't expect it to become mandatory - but policies (emissions zones, parking permits, taxation, etc) will almost certainly favour car share over personal ownership.

Only ~ 17% of the UK live in rural areas, the rest are urban. This includes 20m (36%) in major conurbations, and 26m (47% living in urban cities and towns.

The logistics associated with where we live has evolved as a result of cheap and easy personal transport - family, friends, jobs, schooling, retail parks, etc. Having let the genie out the bottle (so to speak) it is going to be neither quick nor easy to get it back in.

Rural folk need transport almost daily for shopping, schools, job etc and are very unlikely to see car share/hire schemes as workable. Public transport in these areas is unlikely for the foreseeable future to be economically feasible.

Those in larger towns and cities could live their allotted 3 score and 10 without ever owning a car. and may willingly organise their lives to use a car only occasionally. Younger folk are typically more receptive to new ideas and many don't even take a driving test as they don't carry the "baggage" that many older folk do.

Car share schemes will not suit everyone or those whose job still requires travel flexibility, but it will appeal to an increasingly large number. There are clear environmental and personal economic benefits.

I don't expect it to become mandatory - but policies (emissions zones, parking permits, taxation, etc) will almost certainly favour car share over personal ownership.

Good points. I think that giving everyone options and not pricing those out of one or t'other because of personal circumstance is the best way forward.

Policy-makers should not (as they often done in the past) heavily penalise one group of people who cannot either afford or physically cannot change to whatever 'green' X or Y being proposed.

They could start by making it far easier in planning rules to get new build homes (including flats) fitted with PV panels on the roof to help provide some electricity to the grid to offset the extra taken by EVs.

That and giving new housing developments the necessary cabling ready to go and sufficient space to install secure/robust rapid EV chargers in allocated spaces (especially for terraced houses and flats), to take advantage of better/cheaper tech as it eventually comes in over the next few decades.

After a spell of PV panels being installed on homes about 8-10 years ago, they appear to have for some reason fallen out of favour and I rarely see them on new builds, except a few high-end properties. Oddly enough I do see some EV chargers being installed on new build houses, but no PV panels.

Strangely also PV panels are rarely stipulated/installed on new build offices or industrial/retail buildings, most of which would be ripe for them for the same reasons as above, but would earn the owners far more due to the high building footprint, hopefully offsetting those overly high rates charges based on property footprint rather than usable area. Similar charging point issues could be avoided if planning ahead were better as above.

I agree - it also defeats me why the government don't make a condition of planning approvals that (a) all new properties should have access to a charging point, and (b) mandatory PV arrays.

I think PVs have fallen from favour over the last few years as the feed in tariff has been reduced/removed making PV less economically sensible. This may change with the large increase in energy prices making savings more attractive.

A final question - is it more efficient to install large numbers of PV panels on individual houses or large installations in fields.

An array in a field may be cheaper per kwh as installation and maintenance costs are spread across a large site. But the cost will be high profile and increase all customer bills.

On house roofs, the capital costs are never evident as it is the aggregate of a lot of small installations - to the government it looks like extra capacity for no effort.

I agree - it also defeats me why the government don't make a condition of planning approvals that (a) all new properties should have access to a charging point, and (b) mandatory PV arrays.

I think PVs have fallen from favour over the last few years as the feed in tariff has been reduced/removed making PV less economically sensible. This may change with the large increase in energy prices making savings more attractive.

What doesn't help, at least with flats, is that they are mostly leasehold and thus the freeholder (normally some rich person living in the Channel Isles) can demand as much as they like for the 'priviledge' of putting PV panels on'their' roof', thus making any payback from selling the electricity in the 15-25 year lifespan of the equipment far less viable, if at all.

And that's if you have the utility cupboard/riser space to install the new equipment and don't have to remove, then reinstall all the recently installed fire break materials (as my development would have to do [installed a year or so ago on the advice of the H&S 'experts']).

PV installations were actually getting quite cost effective in terms of payback, and probably why the feed-in tarrifs were being removed.

A final question - is it more efficient to install large numbers of PV panels on individual houses or large installations in fields.

An array in a field may be cheaper per kwh as installation and maintenance costs are spread across a large site. But the cost will be high profile and increase all customer bills.

On house roofs, the capital costs are never evident as it is the aggregate of a lot of small installations - to the government it looks like extra capacity for no effort.

They are really suited to properties with large expanses of available space for the panels and as little builderswork (groundworks for underground cabling in fields or cable routes, etc [as above] inside a property from the roof, preferably easy-to-install and get to flat surfaces.

Hence why warehouses, flat-roofed building with full roof access etc are ideal, given the sheer amount of usable and potentially easily accessible roofspace, and why farmers have been turning unproductive pasture pand over to PV farms - there's one quite large one near me.

Personally I think farms doing it is a bad idea, as we need to be as self-sufficient as possible as regards food production, especially in the light of recent worldwide developments.

It's often a good idea to look at PV installations - on domestic roofs at least - when the owner is looking to do significant other works on either the roof itself (repairs or re-roofing) or services interracting with it in a big way, e.g. heating systems (new flue[s]), etc. Saves on costs like cherry pickers or workers being required twice or longer overall.

Obviously some properties won't be able to have them installed for aesthic/planning reasons, which is potentially unfair, and I think where this is the case, they should be compensated via reduced Council Tax. TBH any home/building improvement materials/equipment should be also VAT free - not just on new builds, as I think it currently is.

I suppose the fundamental question is the historical decline in self-sufficiency. Very few people are equipped to survive cut off from the outside world these days. In my youth my mother would go to the local shopping street every day or two on her bike, which limited the amount she could carry. When this became difficult some traders delivered to the house, and we had weekly visits from a greengrocer (horse and cart) and the Corona pop-man. There were never any trips by car to a supermarket.

Weekly shops by public transport would be impossible, given the quantity of stuff to be carried. So ingrained habits might need some adaptation.

There is a market for personal transportation for the foreseeable future. The interesting question is how this is satisfied.

i live in a market town with a large rural hinterland. Bus services are poor to non existent and car ownership is high. But I don’t need to own a car to use one. The lack of competition in the form of public transport might well open the door for innovative car solutions in rural areas. In fact the competition from public in cities could be a barrier to innovative car sharing if the public transport option were attractive enough.

There are other factors: among them self driving cars, taxation and licensing. The first is a long way off but one day the capability to have a car self-drive to your door and then back to a charging hub will exist. Taxation of private vehicles might increase further especially to make up for fuel duties lost to EVs. Some of the problems we have identified with car sharing would be solvable by licensing models. The companies providing the non-private car could be taxed/licensed to cover a mix of attractive and unattractive patches.

There is long way to go. Just like Blockbuster quickly disappeared when online services took off so too might personal transport change pretty quickly in a few short years. There’s a lot of money to be made.

I think no change except the slow drift away from 100% ownership towards lease, never never deals etc. Car sharing is too invasive of privacy and a nuisance into the bargain.

The future of personal car ownership - nellyjak

I think no change except the slow drift away from 100% ownership towards lease, never never deals etc. Car sharing is too invasive of privacy and a nuisance into the bargain.

Yeah..that's my view too...ownership will slowly dwindle methinks...(apart from the classic car/enthusiast)..I wouldn't ever car share.

I want a car outside my house to drive when I want/need it..day or night..!..but I think I've come round to the thought that I don't have to actually own it.

Yeah--like a mobile phone-however good it is -swop it every 3 years according to the best deal around...?