What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Family car with small turning circle? - Inkworks
I’m looking for a family car, preferably a small/mid suv, that’s easy to park/manoeuvre in and out of tight spaces. I’d also like it to have front and rear sensors and a reversing camera. Can anyone recommend any?
Family car with small turning circle? - badbusdriver

Not without a budget

Family car with small turning circle? - Inkworks
Looking to get a car on pcp. Can afford £1k deposit and £300-400 per month.
Looking to get a car on pcp. Can afford £1k deposit and £300-400 per month.

Doesn't really help as I have no idea what value of car that would get you.

But I often use auto-data.net to look up specs of cars. The turning circle is listed for some cars, but by no means all. So if there is a car you like the look of, look it up. If they have the turning circle, compare it with other similar cars to see if it is good or bad.

I'd also be looking at the length and width of the car, as this will also directly affect how easy it is to manoeuvre in a tight spot.

Family car with small turning circle? - Andrew-T

<< The turning circle is listed for some cars, but by no means all. >>

That's a blast from the past - back in the (rather old) day, turning circle between kerbs was always on a new-car brochure, but those were very different things in the 60s. I remember when the Triumph Herald appeared with a very tight circle - 26 feet IIRC. Only of interest to taxicabs these days I guess ?

Family car with small turning circle? - RT

That's a blast from the past - back in the (rather old) day, turning circle between kerbs was always on a new-car brochure, but those were very different things in the 60s. I remember when the Triumph Herald appeared with a very tight circle - 26 feet IIRC. Only of interest to taxicabs these days I guess ?

Turning circles got worse with the introduction of FWD cars as Constant Velocity Joints (CVJs) wear more quickly with high angular changes.

I recall that my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe had a surprisingly good turning circle. - which I only used at idle speeds to minimise wear.

Family car with small turning circle? - Manatee

I wondered how long it would be before the Triumph Herald was mentioned.
"25 feet and the same as a London taxi" is stuck in my mind.

I liked the Herald but it seemed old fashioned because of its separate chassis, which must have been an anachronism even in by 1959 let alone about 1970 when it was dropped, and seemed even odder because the predecessor Standard 8/10/Pennant and the even earlier Mayflower had all been of unitary construction AFAIK.

I liked the Herald but it seemed old fashioned because of its separate chassis, which must have been an anachronism even in by 1959 let alone about 1970 when it was dropped, and seemed even odder because the predecessor Standard 8/10/Pennant and the even earlier Mayflower had all been of unitary construction AFAIK.

The separate chassis was forced onto Standard-Triumph because Fisher & Ludlow had been taken over by BMC who ended their body supply contract and Pressed Steel had no spare capacity - forcing Standard-Triumph to use several smaller companies.

Full story at Aronline Triumph Herald/Vitesse development story (aronline.co.uk)

Family car with small turning circle? - Xileno

Maybe something RWD is a good place to start then. I was thinking BMW 1 series but I think they've gone FWD now. A FWD BMW? What's the World coming to?

I liked the Herald but it seemed old fashioned because of its separate chassis

Brilliant engine access for the home mechanic though!

Not saying the Herald's turning circle isn't impressive, but when saying it is the same as a London taxi, bear in mind the wheelbase of the classic FX4 (1958-1997) was 20" longer than that of the Herald. Which makes it an altogether more impressive achievement, though I guess care would need to be taken not to remove the front tyres from the rims by going too fast on full lock!.

Turning circle of the current shape Smart Fortwo is only 22.8' (6.95m), but it is a very short car. Big brother, the Forfour has a turning circle of 28.38' (8.65m), which is of course more than the Herald (and London Taxi), but very good for a modern car. Of course it does have its engine in the back though, which no doubt helps. Interesting to note that despite the Herald being 20" longer than the Smart Forfour, its wheelbase is over 7" shorter!.

When I first started cleaning windows I had a SWB Iveco Daily van and it had a very impressive amount of steering lock. I then moved to a LWB Ford Transit Connect who's steering lock wasn't anything to write home about. Initially at least, I found it more awkward to get it into my parent's (very tricky) drive than the much longer and wider Iveco. I now have a 2010 VW Caddy and it has a noticeable better steering lock than the Connect (even taking the longer wheelbase into account).

Family car with small turning circle? - Engineer Andy

For some reason The Telegraph's Letter Page is obsessed with that car at the moment!

I've notice that many a modern car has poor turning circles. My dad's 08 Fiesta is no better than my much larger 55 plate Mazda3 (which has a wheelbase that's 150mm longer).

Maybe the OP can buy two Smart cars and park them both sideways in spaces (I've seen that done)? ((joke)).

For the OP: I think the HJ site doesn't give turning circles on the spec sheets, but from memory, I think Parkers' site (boo!) does, or at least it used to.

Family car with small turning circle? - Sparrow

Our Hyundai i10 has a good turning circle, much better than the mini that it replaced. As for Triumph Herald, I had one of those as ny first car. It is easier to get a good turning circle in a rear wheel drive car, but even rear wheel drive BMWs vary. On my E46 I could get into a particular parking space in one go. I cannot in more recent 3 series. It rarely appears in brichures which is a shame as this important measurement used to always be there. It is a great question to ask the salesman.

EV`s, if they have been designed from the ground up as one, can have great turning circles compared to an ICE equivalent, or an EV using the platform of an existing ICE car.

As an example, the VW ID.3 has a turning circle 72cm smaller than the current Golf, despite having a 15cm longer wheelbase.

EV`s, if they have been designed from the ground up as one, can have great turning circles compared to an ICE equivalent, or an EV using the platform of an existing ICE car.

As an example, the VW ID.3 has a turning circle 72cm smaller than the current Golf, despite having a 15cm longer wheelbase.

If EVs drive the front axle, they have the same mechanical restraints on turning circle as a FWD/AWD IC car - limited by the CVJ articulation.

Family car with small turning circle? - Big John

Probably not the right car as fairly small but the Fiat Panda has a very small turning circle - About 9m I think.

It's always the car we use driving locally into our closest city. It's a doddle to park because of it's size, turning circle and visibility - and if you really need it there is a city mode for the power steering that makes it lighter at low speeds.

Edited by Big John on 06/01/2022 at 21:49

If EVs drive the front axle, they have the same mechanical restraints on turning circle as a FWD/AWD IC car - limited by the CVJ articulation.

But that clearly isn't the only limitation, if it was all front wheel drive cars would be able to apply the same angle of lock (as dictated by how much articulation the CVJ's can handle). That isn't the case though.

For the record, the ID.4 is rear engined and rear wheel drive. Because of the freedom of layout offered up by EV's, with the electric motor being so small relative to an ICE, there is no need for that motor being mounted between the front wheels and potentially limiting the amount of space for the wheels to turn.