What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Brit_in_Germany

The NCAP report gives the new Zoe a zero-star rating:

Official Renault ZOE 2021 safety rating (euroncap.com)

Should I tell my wife who is the main driver or not?

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Engineer Andy

Not as 'bad' as you might think at first glance - most of the latest requirements to gain each level of star rating is for the car having anti-collision tech, not for how structurally safe the car is. For example, the latest Ford Mustang originally got a 2 or 3 star rating because it didn't have some of those three-lettered acronymn devices on board.

The other point is that often a 3 star rated car today would've been a 5 star rated one 3 or 4 years ago, and a 5 star another 3 or 4 years before when the criteria were less stringent.

My 15yo Mazda3 is a '4 star' rated car, but it would be lucky to get 1 or 2 stars today if retested. That doesn't make it 'unsafe', just less so in certain types of accident or situation, especially if the driver is not up to the job.

I'd say that cars from the early - mid 2000s that at least got a 4 star rating and are well maintained should be more than safe enough in the hands of a competent driver.

The latest 5 star rated cars will be better, but I think the largest jumps in safety tech were first of all in the early 90s with the addition of crumple zones and side impact bars across the board, then with ABS and later with other safety devices and cars generally handling far better (thanks in part to much better tyre tech) than before.

All cars sold must pass minimum safety standards, and a zero-rated NCAP one will still be a pass.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Brit_in_Germany

Perhaps I should just tell her not to side-swipe a telegraph pole on the driver's side.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Xileno

It's a bit embarrassing for a company that always drew attention to their high NCAP ratings. Weren't they the first company to have NCAP 5 across all models? I think I read it somewhere.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - badbusdriver

It's a bit embarrassing for a company that always drew attention to their high NCAP ratings. Weren't they the first company to have NCAP 5 across all models? I think I read it somewhere.

Yes, I agree it is embarrassing for Renault. Not sure about all models, but they were certainly some of the safest (according to EuroNCAP) cars on the road back in the day (early-mid noughties). Of course the Zoe is now 9 years old and the criteria has changed in that time, so as Andy says, it isn't as bad as it appears.

In its 2013 EuroNCAP crash test, it scores 5 out of 5, with the following individual ratings, 89% adult occupancy, 80% child occupancy, 66% pedestrian and 85% safety assist systems.

So for the OP, I wouldn't get too alarmed about it.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Ian_SW

If it's not a new model, why has it been tested again to the new standard?

I suspect most 2013 cars is tested now would fare similarly badly, though it's not just done badly on the accident avoidance gadgets.

Both the similarly sized Fiat 500e and Toyots Yaris Cross have also been tested to the 2021 standard and did much better for occupant protection than the Zoe. Even the Dacia Spring (which I think is fairly closely related to the Zoe underneath) managed better with a 1 star rating.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - badbusdriver

Both the similarly sized Fiat 500e and Toyots Yaris Cross have also been tested to the 2021 standard and did much better for occupant protection than the Zoe. Even the Dacia Spring (which I think is fairly closely related to the Zoe underneath) managed better with a 1 star rating.

The Fiat 500e is a completely different car to the 500, they share no parts at all. The Yaris Cross is a brand new car based on the platform of the (new) Yaris, itself a much younger car than the Zoe.

The Dacia Spring is a much smaller car than the Zoe and shares nothing in common with it. it uses a platform which underpins various other very small cars within the group (Renault Kwid, Renault City K-ZE, Datsun red-GO) along with a couple of Chinese collaborations. With the exception of the Datsun (sold in Indian markets), they all look pretty much the same.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - groaver

Hmm, those impact results look less than stellar.

Oh well, I'll just have avoid crashing one of our fleet and I'll be fine.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - John F

Neither of my somewhat elderly cars (Triumph TR7 DHC, Audi A8) have a euro NCAP rating. One is extremely safe, the other........er.... is driven, ahem, even more carefully.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Engineer Andy

Neither of my somewhat elderly cars (Triumph TR7 DHC, Audi A8) have a euro NCAP rating. One is extremely safe, the other........er.... is driven, ahem, even more carefully.

I'd put good money that in a big accident, your A8 would come off far better than a Zoe. I always wonder if the ratings take into account the size of the car, as there's no way a 5 star rated supermini is as safe as a similarly-rated car of the A8's size of the same year.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Xileno

I sure I read that the gradings are relative to the class, so a four star big car is still safer than a five star supermini. I think the Jaguar XF was four star when it was launched but I know that's one car I would be happy in if the unfortunate happened.

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Andrew-T

I presume that designing an EV for crash protection is a different ball game from an ICE car ? because the heaviest lumps are in different parts of the vehicle ? Not good to have a large metallic lump trying to overtake the driver if he/she hits something solid ?

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Bolt

I presume that designing an EV for crash protection is a different ball game from an ICE car ? because the heaviest lumps are in different parts of the vehicle ? Not good to have a large metallic lump trying to overtake the driver if he/she hits something solid ?

Battery packs are part of floor pan on a lot of evs, bolted in. motor/s are either in front like an engine or where axle used to be at rear so in accident the motors pushed down away from driver passengers

My only problem with battery cases are the material they are made of even though they are stronger than steel so they say

Renault Zoe - NCAP zero star rating - Ian_SW

The Zoe did much worse for occupant protection in the most recent test than it did the time before.

Reading a bit into what's changed in the test method, they have added a "being crashed into by a big SUV" test, which I suspect is where it may have done less well if it wasn't designed for that test. Interestingly, there is also something on the Top Gear website news section about this which says that Renault have changed the seat mounted side airbag and made the protection less good than an earlier version. A bit of slightly unwise cost cutting perhaps?