What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How important is the image of a company vehicle? - badbusdriver

Parked just along the road from my house was a quite young but very, very dirty van. This van also had an enormous dent which stretched along the N/S from the passenger door, right along the sliding door to the rear wheel arch.

Now you are probably thinking, well what is noteworthy about this?.

I won't say the company name, but the lettering revealed the company to be, "Purveyors of superior automobiles for the discerning motorist". Not in any way pretentious(!), but i thought it quite funny given the state of the van, which didn't really paint the same picture of the company implied by the description.

It would put me right off using the company were I thinking of buying a "superior automobile"!

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - RT

Parked just along the road from my house was a quite young but very, very dirty van. This van also had an enormous dent which stretched along the N/S from the passenger door, right along the sliding door to the rear wheel arch.

Now you are probably thinking, well what is noteworthy about this?.

I won't say the company name, but the lettering revealed the company to be, "Purveyors of superior automobiles for the discerning motorist". Not in any way pretentious(!), but i thought it quite funny given the state of the van, which didn't really paint the same picture of the company implied by the description.

It would put me right off using the company were I thinking of buying a "superior automobile"!

Their website isn't much better - they're advertising a "Rolls-Royce Silver Sahdow"

So checking their work is low priority!

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - Xileno

I think it's important but in some companies the priority is saving the pennies. I used to do some IT work for a large publisher, the reps often complained that they could not claim for the odd car wash so the vehicle looked respectable when turning up to clients. However corporate entertainment seemed to have a blank cheque. If they bought everyone in the bar a drink on the company card it was never questioned. Not complaining, I benefited, hic :-)

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - _

However corporate entertainment seemed to have a blank cheque. If they bought everyone in the bar a drink on the company card it was never questioned. Not complaining, I benefited, hic :-)

Those were the days., take my weekend entertainment bills in and get the cah on monday..

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - primus 1

Companies take a very serious view of how their company is portrayed, I used to be a service engineer with a company van emblazoned with the companies logo, we had to keep the vans clean and tidy and report any issues with them, image is everything, if you show up at a customers premises with a dirty dent covered van , then that’s the first thing the customer sees, the thinking is if they can’t be bothered to keep their van in good order, then what’s their workmanship and attitude going to be, of course it was a challenge to keep your van clean in the winter months…

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - alan1302

Companies take a very serious view of how their company is portrayed,

Saw an Autoglym van not very long ago - it was very mucky and the black plastic on it faded...not what you would expect based on what they sell!

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - FiestaOwner

Just for a bit of balance. The company in question has excellent customer reviews on Autotrader. With the amount of dirt on the roads just now, it's impossible to keep vehicles clean. BBD, if you've seen it at your house, it obviously does a fair bit travelling. Perhaps it got bashed in the last few days and repairs are delayed by insurance.

I'd personally go by a word of mouth recommendation, for a business, rather than judging them by a company vehicle.

Just for a bit of balance. The company in question has excellent customer reviews on Autotrader. With the amount of dirt on the roads just now, it's impossible to keep vehicles clean. BBD, if you've seen it at your house, it obviously does a fair bit travelling. Perhaps it got bashed in the last few days and repairs are delayed by insurance.

I'd personally go by a word of mouth recommendation, for a business, rather than judging them by a company vehicle.

Yeah, I had noticed the Autotrader reviews since I started the thread, and Dundee is a fair drive from Peterhead. Makes me wonder what they were doing here to justify a 170 mile round trip.

Out of curiosity I had a look at their premises on Google Street View (footage is from just over a year ago). The only thing that jumped out for me was the presence of a MK5 Cortina!.

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - catsdad

At a slight tangent, Mercedes take their image very seriously. I was chatting a few years back to a dealer who had their marine engine franchise. It was standard practice for the visiting senior managers to look at boats in the nearby marina and ask the dealer about any engines (outboards I assume) that had been fitted to boats that they didn’t consider to be consistent with their brand values. Too scruffy or cheap in other words.

I wonder if this still happens? After all they fit Renault engines in some of their cars which must devalue the brand in some eyes.

At a slight tangent, Mercedes take their image very seriously. I was chatting a few years back to a dealer who had their marine engine franchise. It was standard practice for the visiting senior managers to look at boats in the nearby marina and ask the dealer about any engines (outboards I assume) that had been fitted to boats that they didn’t consider to be consistent with their brand values. Too scruffy or cheap in other words.

I wonder if this still happens? After all they fit Renault engines in some of their cars which must devalue the brand in some eyes.

At least one of their 'cars' actually is a Renault!

(the Citan)

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - Tester

Sorry, probably a bit off topic but maybe interesting in a general sort of way ... when I worked in Oman, there was actually a law (by decree of the Sultan, being an absolute monarchy) against having a dirty car! And it was enforced by the Royal Oman Police. It gave rise to brisk trade for the many expats employed to offer car-cleaning services in pretty much every car park, and very good value they were (even after factoring in a decent tip).

(I never put this law to the test but suspect it didn't mean moderately dusty cars, which were inevitable, but ones with a thick layer of dust or even mud if it had been raining and the wadis had filled up.)

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - Andrew-T

... when I worked in Oman, there was actually a law (by decree of the Sultan, being an absolute monarchy) against having a dirty car! And it was enforced by the Royal Oman Police.

Thirty years ago there was a similar statute in Moscow (possibly in all Russia, I don't know) against dirty vehicles. I also don't know if there was any rule against unsafe ones.

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - pete2000

This is actually a big issue in Abu Dhabi. Many expats found their cars impounded when back home for the summer. Essentially it breaks a municipality law about spoiling the image of the neighbourhood.

So if you're lucky you find a warning sticker on it to clean your vehicle, and if you don't the next step is it's towed. Tough to control if you need to park outdoors in a place full of sand!

I've generally washed my company cars at my expense. Never really saw it as an 'expense' as it reflected my own image when meeting a client. Much the same way I would have polished my shoes or general grooming. It wouldn't feel right driving a filthy vehicle. Obviously wouldn't go overboard with detailing for a car that's not mine, but a quick machine wash for a fiver every couple of weeks beats looking tatty when working.

How important is the image of a company vehicle? - Will deBeast

I was friends with a very successful salesman.

He and his peers had 911s, jaguars, etc, but they also kept a mondeo in the office. Nothing wrong with it - it was always well maintained, clean and tidy.

He explained that most customers expected him to be successful and turn up in a decent car. But a few took that as a sign they were paying too much, and it was harder to win contracts from those customers. For those customer he would turn up in the mondeo.