What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf GT TSi - VW Golf GT TSi Value (New Engine at 50k) - Christian Webster

Hello all,

I am considering selling my 2009 (09) VW Golf GT TSi. In 2016 (approx 50k) a new engine was fitted. The mileage is now at 109k. The entire service history of the car is VW dealer and/or VW authorised.

How does the fact the engine is at only at approximately 60k effect the value of the car? Will it be more appealing and if so, what sort of premium should this hold?

Thanks in advance and I'm happy to provide more information if necessary.

Christian

VW Golf GT TSi - VW Golf GT TSi Value (New Engine at 50k) - Chris M

If I were a buyer I'd be asking why did it need a new engine. Manufacturing defect, acceptable and may increase the value a little, but everything else has done 109k. You forgot to get the car serviced for 50,000 miles, I'd walk.

Edited by Chris M on 04/11/2021 at 18:44

On the contrary, the engine was replaced by VW after a fault occured immediately after they serviced it (including regular servicing prior), at their cost.

Regarding manufactoring fault, it was the known chain cam issue with this model. I have already discussed that issue on here some time ago.

VW Golf GT TSi - VW Golf GT TSi Value (New Engine at 50k) - catsdad

As a starter create two dummy ads on Autotrader ( you can simply exit once their tool suggests a value). Get a value for the two relevant mileages to give you a range. Probably half way between the two would be a realistic guide.

Thanks for the advice.