Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - carl233

After running an old Ford for two decades have finally agreed with the family to purchase a much newer vehicle. Going from a late 90's Ford to a fairly modern car will be a welcome change. Currently looking at approved used Lexus GS\IS models that are within the current budget which is ideally no more than £26k. The later ES seems to be outside this budget.

Criteria for the car loosely specified is:

• No older than 2017
  • No more than 15k miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Suitable for long-term ownership 200k miles plus over 12-15 years
  • Reasonable rear leg room
  • Sat Nav
  • Heads up display a nice bonus
  • Reasonably relaxed motorway cruiser

Originally was looking at the Prius and Corolla Tourer Hybrids but the other half was unimpressed by the rather harsh plastics. Any other vehicle that may have been missed in this rather limited search? Input welcome. Ready to purchase immediately.

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - Falkirk Bairn

For around £26K you can get a brand new Toyota Camry - same innards as ES and the benefit is a 10 year warranty on major components as long as you get it serviced at the Toyota garage.

www.Broadspeed.com

Very few GSs around as it was very expensive - Lexus outlets still want top money for low mileage examples.

Not considered the Camry before, booked in for a test drive. Seems to have a very attractive interior looking at the pictures online

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - JonestHon

The Lexus IS is not roomy for the back passengers but a GS has the room.

As said your budget can get you a new Camry which had a recent face lift.

If you don't want to go hybrid or spend just half the money you can get into an eight years old GS250 with N/A v6, but these are not common if you like exclusivity.

The interior of the Skoda Superb is well sorted with good ergonomics, a slightly used one is within budget and if choosing the combo of engine plus transmission carefully it should do the mileage without fuss.

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - badbusdriver

I had been thinking about the Superb, specifically the plugin hybrid as I suspect the electric motor makes the DSG's job easier. Even without the electric motor though, the DSG can be reliable if driven with a bit of mechanical sympathy.

But, 10-12 years and 200k+ miles reliable?, I'm not convinced.

Looking on Autotrader, Lexus ES's start around £27-28k, so you are not far short. As has been said, the IS isn't that spacious in the rear. I too would favour the Camry, but while I'm not sure about broker prices, those on Autotrader suggest you won't get into a new one for £26k. You'd be looking at a 2019/2020 car with a few thousand miles.

For your requirements, especially longevity, the Lexus or Toyota options are really the best bet.

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - Falkirk Bairn

>> Autotrader suggest you won't get into a new one for £26k

tinyurl.com/yncuyxak under £26K

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - JonestHon

Mmmm...read the t&c here, seems like in most cases this price is hardly achievable, never the less a good starting point.

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - SLO76
I get the appeal of a used Lexus, but I’d probably favour a new Camry too. These will drop in value fairly hard from new but the taxi trade are very keen on them thanks to the hybrid running gear so losses won’t be as heavy as big Toyota saloons of old. 10yrs worth of warranty if serviced at a Toyota main dealer and an impeccable reliability record seal the deal.
Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - Engineer Andy

I acutally prefer the simplier styling of the Camry - Lexuses in my view are often overly fussy styling wise, especially their interiors. Both the current cars don't have that great of a nose with those prominent grilles, but of the two, the Camry is, I think, the nicer looking.

I would suspect the OP could get a newer example for their budget, assuming they could find one - not many of either about these days, though I did see a Camry (latest model) locally about a year ago. Not seen any ESes around, a few runout GSes now and then.

I think that the SUV Lexuses are now far more popular (though not compared to other comparable makes in the UK) than their saloons. Plus both their IS and LS are now very long in the tooth.

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - barney100

E class Mercedes would fit the bill except for the head up.

Thought I would update, did up the budget and ordered a Lexus ES300H in the end brand new. Was about the same cost as a used one at two years of age approx! Using CarWow and further negotiation managed to get 15.2% off the list price. Playing two dealers off against each other seems to have done the job. Vehicle to be delivered in April 2022 so will be the new revised model with touchscreen etc. Thanks for all the input, only drawback is no spare wheel as standard!

Used Car Selection - Input Welcome - Engineer Andy

Can a spare be fitted as a dealer-add-on or liternally no space available (normally due to the area being used by ICE)? If one (even a space-saver) can be fitted, I'd have it done. Just a shame some makes (take note, Mazda) charge a small fortune for fitting one, with others charging a third as much or fitting one as standard (even better if it were a full-sized tyre).

Enjoy the car.

Thanks Engineer Andy, dealer unable to source a spare and Lexus UK have confirmed in this country there is no part number. There is clearly space in the boot for one to be fitted and secured. Reading the forums the GS300H spare does fit so will look to acquire one of these. Interestingly the tyre repair kit includes a jack and wheel brace but no actual spare wheel.

In the end did test drive the following vehicles before deciding:

Lexus NX300H

Lexus ES300H

Toyota Camry

Toyota Rav4

Toyota C-HR

The ES was by far the most refined, at 70mph there was a notable difference in my opinion between the soundproofing of the ES and Camry. The most disappointing overall was the NX with what felt like a second class cramped cabin compared to the cheaper ES. Going to be a major shock going from an old Ford to a Lexus with heated steering wheel that even has electric adjustment.