What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Distance buying a new car - Plantop

Evening, has anyone any experience of buying a new car at least a hundred miles away?
l am wondering if l would have to return to selling dealer if l have any problems, especially under warranty,my local dealers are advertising cars as in stock but when l enquire this is not the case so am looking further afield. I would be grateful for any and all advice, Thank you

Any - Distance buying a new car - catsdad
If it's new and a fault arises which is covered by the manufacturer warranty then you can take it to any franchised dealer for that make.
If it's not a warranty repair ( for example you find damage after delivery) then it has to go back to the supplying dealer. That can obviously be less convenient but hopefully rare.
Any - Distance buying a new car - Heidfirst

if you are buying a manufacturer's car inside it's original warranty (& it has been serviced etc. to manufacturer's schedule/quality) then you should be able to take it to any of that manufacturer's dealers for warranty work. This is where manufacturer approved schemes come into their own imo.

If it's a car outside of it's original warranty then any warranty provided under Consumer Rights 2015 will be with the supplying dealer. Of course that supplier may also offer a 3rd party warranty that would allow you to take it elsewhere.

If you are buying from far away consider the costs involved esp. if you do have to return & if you do go ahead spend a lot of time going over the car (incl. a test drive) before actually taking ownership of it.

Any - Distance buying a new car - Will deBeast

Lots of people buy cars from brokers all the time.

If it is a new car, you have lots of protection, especially as you're distance buying.

I've also bought used from some distance, but have always gone to see the car.

Any - Distance buying a new car - Theophilus

I've bought both my last 3 cars (unseen) from main agent dealers 120 - 160 miles away. One I travelled to the dealer to collect in person, the other two were delivered to my door.

In every case I saved several thousand pounds over the best price I could get a local dealer to agree to ... and I've had no reason to regret any of the transactions.

I would have considerable reservations about a similar purchase of a used vehicle, but my son-in-law has travelled several hundred miles to buy a car that met his requirements.

Edited by Theophilus on 06/09/2021 at 20:13

Any - Distance buying a new car - Heidfirst

I would have considerable reservations about a similar purchase of a used vehicle, but my son-in-law has travelled several hundred miles to buy a car that met his requirements.

I have done it 3x successfully albeit all were "Manufacturer Approved Used". The only negative was for the last one I turned up & my inspection showed that the dealer had not done some work that they had agreed to do so I threatened to walk/drive away - they fed & coffee/tea'ed me for the afternoon whilst they attended to it. Saved me £thousands though.

Edited by Heidfirst on 07/09/2021 at 13:51

Any - Distance buying a new car - SLO76
If it’s still covered by the manufacturer warranty then you can use any of the brands dealers, if it’s no longer covered then I’d advise buying from a dealer that has a branch nearby as their own warranty can then be used there. Personally though I would never buy a car unseen. I’m asked to view cars on behalf of others regularly and I reject 70/80% of them due to poor quality paintwork repairs, missing (but promised) service records and general neglect. Salesmen will tell you anything to get a deal, face to face or over the phone.
Any - Distance buying a new car - Falkirk Bairn

>>Salesmen will tell you anything to get a deal, face to face or over the phone.

I agreed to buy a car 200 miles away - brand new but pre-reg

I asked for the invoice details be sent to me

Unwanted items littered the quote so I asked them to be removed and the agreed price re-instated - I was told they could not permission from bosses to do that. I said I could not give myself permission to pay for the Paint Treatment, inside Scotch guard (car had leather seats) GAP and another at £200 for something else. - £1200+ padding in total.

They came back a week later but I told them to go forth & multiply.

Any - Distance buying a new car - Terry W

Absolutely the right thing to do.

However they may be unconcerned - given the current shortage of stock they may simply sell it to someone else less assertive than yourself.