Ford Transit - Inspection for V778 for old van before scrapping? - John Cheyney

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and hoping that someone can help me with some advice please?

So I have an old transit van on which I have always had my own private number plate. It is off road and SORN. Now I need to scrap the van, but want to get the number plate off first, so need to apply for a V788 document.

On the gov website, I saw that it says the DVLA might want to inspect the van first. Other websites said this might be if the the vehicle is over 15 years old (which mine is).

So my questions are:

1) Has anyone else had an inspection prior to getting a V778, and if so, what are they inspecting for? - Given I only want to scrap the van, it seems odd to me that it might need an inspection to check road-worthiness if I intend to scrap the van.

2) Is there a chance that the inspection could lead to a refusal to issue a V778 and thus a refusal to allow me to get ownership of my own property, i.e. the private reg? If so, do they keep my £80 I pay for the V788 too?

I'm sorry if my issue is a bit complicated :-s but any advice would be most welcome :-) Thanks in advice.

John

Ford Transit - Inspection for V778 for old van before scrapping? - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s very unlikely that the vehicle will be inspected. However , you may have to send your documents into Dvla , rather than being able to do it on line.
Ford Transit - Inspection for V778 for old van before scrapping? - John Cheyney
It’s very unlikely that the vehicle will be inspected. However , you may have to send your documents into Dvla , rather than being able to do it on line.

Thank you elekie&a/c doctor for your advice. I've been getting very worried that I will be hugely out of pocket with this. Life is tough enough anyway as I found myself jobless due to this pandemic just two weeks before the van came to end of it's life *sobs*. The reg plate is worth some decent money to me (relatively speaking) and so it will be a life-saver if I can sell it, but I can't afford to lose any money by trying this process. That's why I have been desperately seeking answers, so thank you for your advice :)